Sponsored

Too good to be true deals or dealer price gouging?

REDJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2015 JK
They are not scamming you. They are simply unwilling to offer you the discount other dealers are willing to offer you. The dealer is lying by saying such discounts aren't possible. They know full well some dealers offer those discounts, but the last they want if for you to go elsewhere.

Dealers who offer 7% below invoice will typically do so only on vehicles ordered from the manufacturer. This is because dealers are alloted a set number of vehicles and they want to make all the money they can from those vehicles. However, vehicles they order for a customer don't count against that allotment, so they're willing to offer bigger discounts. The dealer also gets incentives from the manufacturer for moving more units.

East Coast dealers will almost never offer a significant discount because there are just SO MANY people there. Same with Southern California. Venture to Idaho or Montana, for example, and they're a lot more motivated.
I have to disagree with your assessment of Idaho. Maybe you're referring to northern Idaho, but I I'm very familiar with dealerships in southern Idaho and my experiences have shown the dealerships around the Boise area are notorious for trying to gouge people. Since there's only 3 Jeep dealers in the local area, it seems they think the think customers are at their mercy. Over the years, I've purchased three different Jeeps and none of them came from dealerships in Boise - all were from the surrounding states. I found a driving a couple hundred miles literally saved me thousands of dollars. I guess the best train of thought is shop around.
Sponsored

Zmonster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep JK-Sold, 1982 Jeep Scrambler-Sold, 1983 Jeep Scrambler-Sold
Koons would be an easy trip for you to make. Take the Amtrak down to DC, then take the Metro out to Tyson Corner, walk about two blocks and you can get in your new ride! Someone mentioned 6.5% below from them recently, mighty darn close to 7.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I have to disagree with your assessment of Idaho. Maybe you're referring to northern Idaho, but I I'm very familiar with dealerships in southern Idaho and my experiences have shown the dealerships around the Boise area are notorious for trying to gouge people. Since there's only 3 Jeep dealers in the local area, it seems they think the think customers are at their mercy. Over the years, I've purchased three different Jeeps and none of them came from dealerships in Boise - all were from the surrounding states. I found a driving a couple hundred miles literally saved me thousands of dollars. I guess the best train of thought is shop around.
Many people here have ordered a Gladiator from Petersen Jeep and got a great price and a very positive experience. Do a search. Many, many posts about it.

Andtros

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ, Gladiator on order
Occupation
Mechanic
Just ordered my Jeep from Peterson's - it seemed very straight forward, and he didn't waste my time. Gave me the discounts upfront and sent quotes (I was thinking of two different options) the next day.

The Good:
Direct and have straight answers.
Build it the way I wanted (not try and fit me to a Jeep)
Is ordering it for me with discounts

Bad:
Kent wants me to fiance through his lenders (I think that's how he's able to give a lower price).
It's far (for me)
some of the add on's where not discounted (front cam, trans, diesel engine, etc.)

REDJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2015 JK
Many people here have ordered a Gladiator from Petersen Jeep and got a great price and a very positive experience. Do a search. Many, many posts about it.
Yeah, sure. That's the same dealership that tried two different tactics (showing the tax savings from a trade-in as a discount on the vehicle price and using KBB's cash offer as the value of the trade-in.) By the way, a tax savings is NOT a dealership discount and KBB's cash offer is much lower than the dealer trade-in value. If people are really that dumb to fall for those old tricks they deserve to pay too much. I saved $4,000 by going less than a hundred miles to the neighboring state. When I told Peterson the quote I received elsewhere they told me to buy it from that place - and I did. No better proof to me than the dealership saying buy it elsewhere. I don't think paying too much and Chinese math qualify as a good experience - but then again if your oblivious you might think differently.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DLAW

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future
It really makes no sense for dealers to be so dodgy. When I contacted my local Jeep dealer, I politely explained I was looking at ordering a Gladiator from a dealer in Idaho since they could get me a price well below invoice. The Internet sales rep was very up front and, in turn, also polite. She said she was aware dealers in Idaho and Montana could get me a below invoice prices. Then she offered a price only slightly higher, but pointed out it would save me a trip to Idaho. That was fair. That was reasonable. So, surprise, surprise, I bought my Gladiator from her.

What's so hard about that? All these dealers playing games, and outright lying, makes no sense. By doing so, they lose a sale. They turn potential buyers off. And, here in the 21st century, they earn a lousy reputation online. Lose, lose, LOSE!
I couldn't agree more. I'm making a last ditch effort with a local dealer who claims to beat anyone else's price. Yeah sure! I'm calling them out on it, and they are just coming back at me with all this subjective crap about not being able to trust the other dealers' deals, or "there could be fine print we don't know about". If they don't match TriCity and save me a long drive, I'm going to blow them up over this "best price guarantee" they advertise all over the place.
If they are allowed to subjectively just not trust another dealership's deal to match it, then they basically don't have a guarantee. They can call BS on anyone they want at that point. Bunch of scum bags wasting my time and I'm exhausted with this.

Costanzio66

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee wrangler renegade
Yeah, sure. That's the same dealership that tried two different tactics (showing the tax savings from a trade-in as a discount on the vehicle price and using KBB's cash offer as the value of the trade-in.) By the way, a tax savings is NOT a dealership discount and KBB's cash offer is much lower than the dealer trade-in value. If people are really that dumb to fall for those old tricks they deserve to pay too much. I saved $4,000 by going less than a hundred miles to the neighboring state. When I told Peterson the quote I received elsewhere they told me to buy it from that place - and I did. No better proof to me than the dealership saying buy it elsewhere. I don't think paying too much and Chinese math qualify as a good experience - but then again if your oblivious you might think differently.
Ummmm......I don't think one can say CHINESE math........I believe the correct term is ASIAN math......em kay? ( ;
Sponsored