Sponsored

Too good to be true deals or dealer price gouging?

OP
OP
DLAW

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future
When I bought mine, I went to some local dealerships. One was willing to deal, but couldn't match 5% below invoice. They were straight up with it too. Another I went to was full scamola: tinting, wheel locks, nitrogen tires "standard dealer upgrades" etc. Dealers usually vary. My uneducated guess is there is some cartelling going on. Or property rent is in a similar bracket/range and they need more to cover their costs of local advertising, utilities, etc.

If you're getting 7 dealers less than 2 hours from your place, that's incredible density. I don't have that and I'm in the Chicago suburbs.
I have 7 Jeep dealerships in a 45 minute drive radius. It doesn't mean anything if they are all the same. The conversation shuts down as soon as I mention these 7% under invoice deals that I'm willing to travel for. They all get uncomfortable and try to cast doubt. I just got home today from sitting down at one of my nearby place. When I spilled the beans, his attitude immediately changed and he said in an almost angry tone, "If you can pay less than invoice, then why pay invoice?". He was implying 'Then why are you here, sitting in my chair, wasting my time? That, to me, means he has heard it before, and he is not winning with me. So he, in some kinder words, basically said 'I hope you don't get scammed'. He gave me his card, and I left. I was in his chair for 2 minutes.
Sponsored

phranican

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 YJ4.0l, '20 Telluride SX, '21JTR
I'm from the Philly burbs, couldn't get anyone to go below invoice around here on a new order. so I ordered from Koons this week, 6.5% below invoice (half point for tread lightly), their dealer admin fee is steep-ish but they are completely up-front prior to accepting your deposit. Planning to take the train down there with my family, tour the kids around DC that day, or at least what's open of it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DLAW

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future
I'm from the Philly burbs, couldn't get anyone to go below invoice around here on a new order. so I ordered from Koons this week, 6.5% below invoice (half point for tread lightly), their dealer admin fee is steep-ish but they are completely up-front prior to accepting your deposit. Planning to take the train down there with my family, tour the kids around DC that day, or at least what's open of it.
Thanks. Any reason you chose Koons over Criswell?

ahffs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Giulia
I'm in the Philly burbs and having similar luck with dealers. I called Koons yesterday but haven't found them to be very responsive. I suppose they are busy with it being the weekend etc. I have no problem travelling either but need to have a deal ready to sign before I do. I have a trade-in and am looking to lease so probably too much hassle for the sales guys over the phone.

I was at Jeff D'ambrosio and couldn't hammer out a deal in the end. They undervalued my trade-in and wouldn't play ball on invoice price. Walked away in the end.

Sponsored

HWKIGRL

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Gladiator Overland, 2” Mopar left. Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Small business owner
Here’s a stupid question for you:
How do you come by the invoice pricing? None of the dealers near me were willing to give me the magic slip of paper that said what they paid (invoice) and yet most people on this forum, or with any real car buying knowledge always talk about it. I searched online (hours) and had NO luck finding an actual invoice price.
Anyone willing to share an average invoice price on:
2020 JT Sport
2020 JT Overland
2020 JT Rubicon

I’ve been thinking I got a great deal, but maybe I got screwed?!!

will be looking for 2 more vehicles with in next 6 months, it would be great to have the “know how”.

thanks!!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Here’s a stupid question for you:
How do you come by the invoice pricing? None of the dealers near me were willing to give me the magic slip of paper that said what they paid (invoice) and yet most people on this forum, or with any real car buying knowledge always talk about it. I searched online (hours) and had NO luck finding an actual invoice price.
Anyone willing to share an average invoice price on:
2020 JT Sport
2020 JT Overland
2020 JT Rubicon

I’ve been thinking I got a great deal, but maybe I got screwed?!!

will be looking for 2 more vehicles with in next 6 months, it would be great to have the “know how”.

thanks!!
FWP = Invoice

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/attachments/gladiator-6-8-20-pdf.83979/

GA D90

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 LR Defender , '21 JTR
Occupation
Paramedic
I recommend searching for whatever questions you might have on , buying, owning , customizing your Gladiator on this site.
The amount of really useful info on the site is remarkable!
Thank you to all who have posted that info.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
It really makes no sense for dealers to be so dodgy. When I contacted my local Jeep dealer, I politely explained I was looking at ordering a Gladiator from a dealer in Idaho since they could get me a price well below invoice. The Internet sales rep was very up front and, in turn, also polite. She said she was aware dealers in Idaho and Montana could get me a below invoice prices. Then she offered a price only slightly higher, but pointed out it would save me a trip to Idaho. That was fair. That was reasonable. So, surprise, surprise, I bought my Gladiator from her.

What's so hard about that? All these dealers playing games, and outright lying, makes no sense. By doing so, they lose a sale. They turn potential buyers off. And, here in the 21st century, they earn a lousy reputation online. Lose, lose, LOSE!

Sponsored

HWKIGRL

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Gladiator Overland, 2” Mopar left. Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Small business owner
I tried to make a deal with my local dealer (where I had purchased my Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 2 years ago. )
Unfortunately although I liked the salesman we met in person and he knew we were so close to buying but couldn’t get where I wanted him to be, he was respectful and attentive without being an a@@....the “internet manager” however....who continued to text/email me for weeks....was doing some bizarre bait and switch “wrong price listed on internet” “computer glitch” “that one is no longer available” every time we made contact, so I took the fantastic deal I was offered even though it was a 3 hour drive away...it was worth it.
With the info shared here on invoice pricing I got literally an unbeatable deal and my ONLY regret is that I didn’t purchase a second Gladiator that they had at a similar price (we thought we were in the market for a Ram 1500)!!

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Ive got 4 jeeps from IG burton, most recently two (including my JT) from IG in smyrna. Their sales men are typical but the actual GM and finance manager are the reason i keep going back. By and far the best guys ive ever met at a dealership. If you take the sales manager your %7’offers and then ask for the finance Manager and or GM to look at it id be willing to bet they could make it happen.

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
I had trouble getting the dealers in my area to take off 3k below msrp. I'm 28 and unfortunately don't look like it. I probably look 16 or 18 and being short doesn't help. I really believe because of this they wouldn't take me seriously or tried shady tactics. Finally my dad came along with me and we got a decent deal. Especially once he told them he's a retired cop lol. Sucks but thats my life. Can't even buy a can of spray paint without an ID check lmao.

Rickv100De

First Name
1967 Land Rover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
I had trouble getting the dealers in my area to take off 3k below msrp. I'm 28 and unfortunately don't look like it. I probably look 16 or 18 and being short doesn't help. I really believe because of this they wouldn't take me seriously or tried shady tactics. Finally my dad came along with me and we got a decent deal. Especially once he told them he's a retired cop lol. Sucks but thats my life. Can't even buy a can of spray paint without an ID check lmao.
It may suck to look young now but you will be thankful when you are older.

heres hoping you are still carded when you are 50

Ric

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
CPA
Three weeks ago, I picked up a Launch Edition for around 7% below invoice from Stevens Creek in San Jose after looking for a couple months. I could have received similar deals in Boise or Las Vegas but that would require travel and also initial financing with the dealers. I traded a 2017 JKU Rubicon Recon and they gave me a fair trade in. They really pushed their financing but I told them I would only go with the 0% FCA financing for 36 months. I think it is best to make the deal before you go to the dealership and stick to your guns.
Sponsored