Sponsored

Towing a car

Lisocayman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Anyone have experience towing a 3200lbs car on an open trailer with their JT? I have a Mojave with 6000lbs tow capacity. The usual open trailer is 2200 so I’m looking at 5500. Any feedback on stability and ability to climb inclines? I know I’ll need to keep the speed to 55mph. Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored

Cshadow2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting grey sport S JT
I did it with my max tow, which I’m sure is a bit different. i towed my wifes car from NC down here to Tampa so no real incline experience to speak of. I used uhaul car hauler. With a Mojave I would watch out for your tongue weight. soft springs can get squirrelly fast under a load like that. I’ve towed with a raptor.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I did it with my max tow, which I’m sure is a bit different. i towed my wifes car from NC down here to Tampa so no real incline experience to speak of. I used uhaul car hauler. With a Mojave I would watch out for your tongue weight. soft springs can get squirrelly fast under a load like that. I’ve towed with a raptor.
Your max tow has a lot higher towing capacity and springs in the rear meant for the loads of payload and/or trailer tongue.

OP
OP

Lisocayman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
That’s my question, if the Mojave is rated at 6000 and I’m under does anyone have experience?

Cshadow2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting grey sport S JT
admitted it’s not an apples to apples comparison, but I grew up towing, but tongue weight on a car hauler can be mitigated by adjusting the engine front to back. your Gearing is not optimal either I would take it easy and if it feels too bad you can always stop and rent a pickup from u haul. I realized you ate in Cali and I would not want to that setup in the mountains, like around big bear. But from San Diego to Vegas sure. You can always try a short trip and see how it feels.

SP
I understand it’s different than mine, but I’ve been towing stuff my whole life if he is under his max weight and his tongue weight its doable.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Gotta be careful moving weight back on a trailer - you introduce the tendency to sway. Car haulers are made to keep some weight up front. I had a home-made flat bed where we actually had to move the axles back because there wasn't ENOUGH weight up front.
Take weight off that softer suspension IMO would actually be worse.

5500 pounds trailer and car - 550 tongue weight. Yeah, that's fine. But the total weight isn't far from the rated limit of 6,000.
Should be ok - but I'd not put much else in the truck.

I used to haul tractors and antique engines for shows before hauling cars on trailers.

This is a 3200 pound car.
It's actually about 6" further forward than I normally load this car, I could have it a bit further back but very much further back and it didn't tow as well. It was sort of "flighty" and not as stable.
You can tell where the transfer case is by the skid plate hanging down about the position of the trailer's front axle. Then there's the transmission, engine and front differential all up there. .

Due to the limited towing ability of the JT Overland (6,000 pounds) and limited payload, I have traded this PJ in for an Aluma. The new trailer is a tilt-bed and weighs only about 1600 with spare tire and tool box.
So I figure 1600+3200=4800 - I should be ok but I am concerned about POWER with the gearing the Overland has.
This PJ was about 2200 and I'd have been too close for comfort by the time I added any parts in the back of the truck (swap meet sales or purchases)

When my wife talked me out of the Sport S max tow and into the Overland, I explained the limited towing and did the math for her - her solution was to go buy a lighter trailer.

Jeep Gladiator Towing a car car-on-trailer

A good car hauler just doesn't have a lot of room to set the car back far on the bed of the trailer. There's not a lot of bed behind those axles so engine will be up ahead of the axles, transmission about over the front axle, depending on car, etc.
Jeep Gladiator Towing a car 20200121_161341_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Towing a car empty-to-omaha

Cshadow2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting grey sport S JT
Spot on, SP.

The set up I towed below was 6022lbs acording to the published curb weights. 3812 for the car. Your percentages are still higher at 5500. Like SP said you Are still way closer to your maximum percentage wise, so set up will be key to safe handling
Jeep Gladiator Towing a car 1611760963130

OP
OP

Lisocayman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
I really wish U Haul had AL trailers vs the heavy 2200 one. A lighter trailer would help a lot. Thanks for all the feedback guys. On the plus side I’m towing a 911 so I’ll load it rear first and the weight should be far enough forward to help with sway.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I loved it when my wife said "go buy a lighter trailer". She also knew that I had trouble with the heave channel iron ramps my PJ had - almost took 2 guys to move one ramp - or a guy with a good back!
With a fully-aluminum trailer (except the wheels and axles), it cut about 600 pounds off trailer weight alone. My new one weighs 1500 curb weight. I figured a spare and a tool box I can carry with one hand and a few tools in it like a bottle jack and a hammer and chain and bolts, I'd add 100 to that 1500. And - no more ramps!
A couple of friends have identical trailers - the one in NY said slowly drive the car onto the trailer until the bed starts to tip back down, hold the brakes/hold the car there and wait - that's where you strap the car once the bed settles down.

Cshadow2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting grey sport S JT
As far forward as a 911 will sit on there forward make sure it’s got a full and and a spare and you mi be in a really good spot. Balance wise. That’s a guess but that Volvo’s motor was basically over the tongue so forward I bet your motor will be abou to the back axle of the trailer forward. Depending on the year. Plus if you back it on you will have to climb out of the window.

Sponsored

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
You will be good. Tons of posts in this sub forum. Setup is key.
Towed 3800lb tj with no problems posted some threads. You won't win any uphill races but everything else is peachy.
Check local equipment rental places for lighter trailers to rent. I found one that was only 1500lb vs uhaul 2200.
Finding the right tounge weight is key, err on side of too much tongue weight.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
I just towed a 1994 YJ ( about 3000lbs) on an older steel U-Haul car trailer they said 2500lbs plus) 166 miles over two mountain ranges, 1400 ft of elevation. I did this with my 2020 Max Tow and it knew the 5500-6000lbs was back there but had no trouble maintaining 70mph up both mountains.

Lowest gear drop was 5th at 4000 rpms, tranny temp stayed around 203, highest was 210. Ambient temperature was upper 20*s and lower 30*s F.

I have towed a lot, most of my towing with one ton diesel Fords. The JT isn’t as powerful, but surprisingly held its own on the trip. I didn’t feel pushed around (I passed a lot of semis), braking was very good (trailer had surge brakes). plenty of passing power, at one point I looked down and I was doing 87mph. Too fast but did so with out paying attention for a min.

Overall the JT Max Tow is very capable and one more reason to love it. Jeep did an awesome job with the JT.

If I was towing that kind of weight all of the time I would opt for full sized diesel truck. To be able to make an occasional trip in the JT like I did is amazing!

When I towed the empty trailer on the same trip to pick up the wrangler, the 2500lbs plus was nothing for the JT.

Take away; I think if you want to regularly tow, keep the weight below 5000lbs and you will be able to enjoy your trips.

I averaged 11.2mpg tire pressure 38lbs on 245x75x17’s stock Jeep JT Max Tow.

Definitely need a load leveling hitch, heavier rear springs and better shocks.

70339E5B-DBD2-4244-8D80-8266119EEAEB.jpeg

B4AD5381-403E-41A3-BB2E-1FB4C53F7F8A.jpeg

805D77DC-E719-4962-B5BD-CE9A6BDE7CDC.jpeg

C72E96B4-98E9-463D-A69B-52602AF52210.jpeg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
One of the coolest setups, IMO, is to see a JT towing another Jeep like that. It's just a neat picture to me.

Cshadow2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting grey sport S JT
I’ve seen it here in Tampa, gup had a really nice silver JT towing an off road Jeep. I wish I had gotten a picture but I probably would have crashed if I had tried. It’s a good look though for sure.

Cshadow2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting grey sport S JT
Guy not gup it’s late sorry
Sponsored