Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Any of you guys or gals in the Rocky Mountain areas have an opinion on me taking a 2wd F250 vs. the Gladiator? Know of any major road closures or pending storms? Looks like snow showers on our way back in Utah on Saturday.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not aware of all of the laws in the area you will travel, but if anything happens - and you don't have brakes operational on the trailer, it could be a problem for you. I agree on the SIMPLE, minutes to set up, Curt system. You can always resell it later if you go some other controller later.
Last thing you need is a trailer pushing you on a slick road.

Oil_Burner

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, Explorer, Prius, C6, Diesel Pusher MH
Occupation
Engineer
Colorado is good without brakes on a 2,999 GVW trailer, I don't know what your trailer is rated for. Utah requires you to stop in 40 feet when going 20 MPH.

It looks like California and Nevada requires brakes on trailers over 1,499 GVW rating trailer. The list can be found at:
https://www.rvia.org/system/files/media/file/Trailer Brake Requirements.pdf

I know what you are towing isn't nearly as big as what is shown in the video, but here is what happens when you go too fast on snow covered roads when towing and the trailer pushes you.

Follow up from the driver is here:

Last edited:
OP
OP
A 2

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Colorado is good without brakes on a 2,999 GVW trailer, I don't know what your trailer is rated for. Utah requires you to stop in 40 feet when going 20 MPH.

It looks like California and Nevada requires brakes on trailers over 1,499 GVW rating trailer. The list can be found at:

I know what you are towing isn't nearly as big as what is shown in the video, but here is what happens when you go too fast on snow covered roads when towing and the trailer pushes you.

Yikes!
Did some research on the superduty forums and have decided to go with the Ford. If we encounter dangerous conditions, we will slow or stop and wait. i can get to know my wife a little betteršŸ˜‚. The brake controller, good tires and some extra wight in the bed is the ticket. i will bring chains for extra insurance.

I guess a brake controller for the JT is on the list.

This trailer is going to pull double duty. Work trailer / light overland basecamp rig. Canā€™t wait.

Wish us luck!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

IF I read it right, his trailer empty is 2,000 pounds - that means that CA and NV would require working brakes on the trailer....
>> Trailer is a (empty) 6x12 off road box trailer at 2000lbs<<
If it's 2,000 empty, the GVW would have to be over that amount by quite a bit. Even if it was 2,000 loaded, maxed out, that's over the 1499 GVW requirement for brakes, is that right?

Sponsored

Oil_Burner

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
IF I read it right, his trailer empty is 2,000 pounds - that means that CA and NV would require working brakes on the trailer....
>> Trailer is a (empty) 6x12 off road box trailer at 2000lbs<<
If it's 2,000 empty, the GVW would have to be over that amount by quite a bit. Even if it was 2,000 loaded, maxed out, that's over the 1499 GVW requirement for brakes, is that right?
Yes. My read is that he requires brakes traveling through Nevada and California, his home state since the GVW has to be more than the empty weight of 2,000 pounds.

I would think that if it's 2,000 pounds empty, the GVW would be at least 3,000 pounds, likely higher and would also require brakes in Colorado. The only state without a weight/brake requirement that he goes through would be Utah, and he would have to demonstrate that he can stop in 40 feet going 20 mph.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. My read is that he requires brakes traveling through Nevada and California, his home state since the GVW has to be more than the empty weight of 2,000 pounds.

I would think that if it's 2,000 pounds empty, the GVW would be at least 3,000 pounds, likely higher and would also require brakes in Colorado. The only state without a weight/brake requirement that he goes through would be Utah, and he would have to demonstrate that he can stoop in 40 feet going 20 mph.
Stopping is one thing, stopping straight and on the road, another thing LOL

OP
OP
A 2

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
I think in either vehicle Iā€™m within laws of all states.

The trailer has electric brakes. I just donā€™t have a brake controller on the Gladiator. The F250 does. Am I correct with this statement? Or are electric brakes on the trailer rendered inoperable because the gladiator doesnā€™t have a brake controller?

Oil_Burner

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer

The trailer has electric brakes. I just donā€™t have a brake controller on the Gladiator. The F250 does. Am I correct with this statement? Or are electric brakes on the trailer rendered inoperable because the gladiator doesnā€™t have a brake controller?
If you use the F250 to tow the trailer to bring it home, you should be good.

If you tow with the Gladiator, without adding the brake controller, basically the trailer doesn't have FUNCTIONAL brakes (inoperable). Even though they are physically present on the trailer, you should not be towing it with the Gladiator, per what I read, until you install the brake controller,.

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Even 2wd I'd rather have the f250 towing that distance. I tow the same size trailer with my Gladiator and it's not great. A whole lot of surface area on the front to drag through the air. Not to mention being blown around by the wind.
PXL_20201119_132256711.MP.jpg

Sponsored

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW

Smart move taking the F250.
No brake controller, no electric brakes.

OP
OP
A 2

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Well Iā€™m back and the Ford did great. I ended up getting BFG KO2 ATs put on while out on the road. Made a huge difference from the stock tires In the snow. very happy with the trailer.

One thing, even if I had the brake controller on the Gladiator I donā€™t think I would ever take it on that trip. There were a few white knuckle moments through the passes in Colorado and this trailer isnā€™t that big or heavy compared to some of the rigs Iā€™ve seen on this forum. How can you guys be comfortable towing those big trailers on big adventures With the Gladiator?

32C55DD2-3E7A-4C32-9E5B-F177FFB511F5.jpeg

mdyucca

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Well Iā€™m back and the Ford did great. I ended up getting BFG KO2 ATs put on while out on the road. Made a huge difference from the stock tires In the snow. very happy with the trailer.

One thing, even if I had the brake controller on the Gladiator I donā€™t think I would ever take it on that trip. There were a few white knuckle moments through the passes in Colorado and this trailer isnā€™t that big or heavy compared to some of the rigs Iā€™ve seen on this forum. How can you guys be comfortable towing those big trailers on big adventures With the Gladiator?

Jeep Gladiator Towing in the snow/ice 32C55DD2-3E7A-4C32-9E5B-F177FFB511F5

Jeep Gladiator Towing in the snow/ice 32C55DD2-3E7A-4C32-9E5B-F177FFB511F5
Is this the trailer you took to Ocotillo Wells?

OP
OP
A 2

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Is this the trailer you took to Ocotillo Wells?
Yes. I donā€˜t know the area real well. It was my second time ever being out there but would love to be able to set up base camp with the trailer Farther and more remote. Then go explore with the JT or maybe our Kawasaki mule.

mdyucca

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Great area for exploring. This past weekend was just to busy with large camps set up everywhere. A year ago, on an off weekend, I went out with my son camped and explored. We had a great time.
Sponsored