Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
The wife and I are heading out to the Denver area from San Diego to pick up a trailer tomorrow. Should be about 16hours each way passing thru southern Utah, Grand Junction and thru Denver.

Ive been checking the weather and road cams along our route and everything seems relatively clear. Obviously weather can change even with proper planning. Any advice beyond take my time? Anyone think this is a bad idea?

A little background. JT sport with Slightly upgraded BFG A/T 265/70/R17. No Max tow. No trailer brake controller. No WDH. Trailer is a (empty) 6x12 off road box trailer at 2000lbs With brakes. I’m guessing it’s about 8’ high.

I’m no stranger to towing. My tow vehicle is a 2017 F250 but it’s 2wd. Ive towed 20’ box trailers, boats, dump trailers. I’ve never towed anything big with the Gladiator. Ive never towed anything in The snow/ice.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Does the trailer have electric brakes or surge brakes? IMO towing in slippery conditions is pretty sketchy in general and without trailer brakes even worse.

OP
OP
A 2

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Does the trailer have electric brakes or surge brakes? IMO towing in slippery conditions is pretty sketchy in general and without trailer brakes even worse.
That’s a good question, I guess I need to check with the dealer. For some reason I thought everything These days were electric brakes.

NGNERD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LE Gladiator Rubicon GCM
OP
OP
A 2

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
I will check in the morning on brake type but here is a pic of the rig and the tongue. Electric brakes?

0591B96F-B9B2-489F-A86E-EA5DF7E4108C.jpeg

C4FA1727-8FF5-45AB-869A-8844F1046111.jpeg

Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Those are electric brakes. The little battery box that activates the brakes during a breakaway is the clue.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
And I might add that’s a sweet little trailer. Who is the dealer?

OP
OP
A 2

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Wouldn't want to do it without a brake controller. You could stop at Norther Tool or somewhere else and pick up a Curt Echo if you do not have time to do another option, download the app, plug it in, sync up to blue tooth, and you have brakes.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200783423_200783423?gclsrc=aw.ds&&utm_source=google_PPC&utm_medium=NT DSA Feed&utm_campaign=DSA Feed&utm_content=&gclid=Cj0KCQiA3NX_BRDQARIsALA3fIKp3qAgZDSJ6imRRJdzEwSHLSWJ71T0s0nZdTk3R4ekgHNDnjEqrhsaAnWwEALw_wcB
Hmm, I’m not sure I have time to get a brake controller. Should I take the Ford? It’s has the tow package with brake controller but it’s 2wd.

OP
OP
A 2

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
And I might add that’s a sweet little trailer. Who is the dealer?
Colorado Trailers. Check them out. At ColoradotrailersInc.com. They have some cool setups. Pricing is ok but they had the configuration and options I was lookin for.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Wouldn't want to do it without a brake controller. You could stop at Norther Tool or somewhere else and pick up a Curt Echo if you do not have time to do another option, download the app, plug it in, sync up to blue tooth, and you have brakes.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200783423_200783423?gclsrc=aw.ds&&utm_source=google_PPC&utm_medium=NT DSA Feed&utm_campaign=DSA Feed&utm_content=&gclid=Cj0KCQiA3NX_BRDQARIsALA3fIKp3qAgZDSJ6imRRJdzEwSHLSWJ71T0s0nZdTk3R4ekgHNDnjEqrhsaAnWwEALw_wcB
Hmm, I’m not sure I have time to get a brake controller. Should I take the Ford? It’s has the tow package with brake controller but it’s 2wd.
Did you follow the Northern Tool link provided?
It's for a Bluetooth brake controller that uses an app on your smartphone.

And if you decide to take the F250, just have chains handy.
You should have chains for the JT, anyway.

Kevin

Sponsored

OP
OP
A 2

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Did you follow the Northern Tool link provided?
It's for a Bluetooth brake controller that uses an app on your smartphone.

And if you decide to take the F250, just have chains handy.
You should have chains for the JT, anyway.

Kevin
Yes, it looks like a cool product. I will need to search around for a northern tool or somewhere else.

Good advice on the chains. I need to dig those out tonight. I don’t get to use them often And forget I even have them.

Koja

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydra Blue Gladiator (LEMON), 2021 Hydra blueJT 04 Rubicon, 04 Ultra classic
Occupation
Retired Sailor, what ever i can scrape together
Low and slow when you get in to nasty roads. Drive like its on a sheet of ice. I brought up a 18 foot RV across MT ID and wa with out TB, i just planned accordingly.

Reactions: A 2

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
Yes, it looks like a cool product. I will need to search around for a northern tool or somewhere else.

Good advice on the chains. I need to dig those out tonight. I don’t get to use them often And forget I even have them.
I used the Curt brake control until I installed the Mopar factory one. You can pick it up at a local truck store or auto store. So you don't need to worry about waiting for it. set doesn't take long at all. I did buy a phone mount when I used mine. That way I could see the screen and apply the trailer brakes manually if I need to.

OP
OP
A 2

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
I used the Curt brake control until I installed the Mopar factory one. You can pick it up at a local truck store or auto store. So you don't need to worry about waiting for it. set doesn't take long at all. I did buy a phone mount when I used mine. That way I could see the screen and apply the trailer brakes manually if I need to.
I’m leaving tomorrow morning. Cliff notes on the install?

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I’m leaving tomorrow morning. Cliff notes on the install?
Super easy. Install the app on your phone ahead of time (tonight). you plug the controller into the 7 pin on the back of your truck (it goes between the truck's plug inlet and the trailer plug). Open the app, have it find the controller, and off you go. You don't really need to set it up until you get there. Just buy it before you pick up the trailer and set it up when you connect the trailer to the truck.

Enjoy your new trailer!
Sponsored

Reactions: A 2