Sponsored

TPMS question

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A, 1968 Jeepster Commando, M422 Mighty Mite and 2020 Gladiator Bright White
Vehicle Showcase
Does the TPMS actually monitor absolute pressure and use some "average" barometric pressure to display gauge pressure on the dash? If it used actual barometric pressure would it not show a change with altitude? Just curious.
Sponsored

Sparty

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR (Gecko) / 2021 JLR
Does the TPMS actually monitor absolute pressure and use some "average" biometric pressure to display gauge pressure on the dash? If it used actual biometric pressure would it not show a change with altitude? Just curious.
Barometric?

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Don't read too much into it.
It isn't an accurate reading. Can be several psi off from a quality tire pressure gauge.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Expecting too much from your hypothesis. Tire pressure is the pressure that the air exerts on the sides of the vessel, or inside walls of the tire. The barometric pressure is the pressure that the atmosphere exerts on the exterior of the vessel. It’s the difference in pressure that keeps the tire inflated against resistance and a load. There is a small difference with an altitude change but it is almost immeasurable because of the mostly rigid construction of the tire. Modern tires maintain their shape across a wide pressure range so external pressure changes will have a minuscule effect.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Expecting too much from your hypothesis. Tire pressure is the pressure that the air exerts on the sides of the vessel, or inside walls of the tire. The barometric pressure is the pressure that the atmosphere exerts on the exterior of the vessel. It’s the difference in pressure that keeps the tire inflated against resistance and a load. There is a small difference with an altitude change but it is almost immeasurable because of the mostly rigid construction of the tire. Modern tires maintain their shape across a wide pressure range so external pressure changes will have a minuscule effect.
Right - if you were talking engine controls, that's different, and thus the MAP sensor, but tires - it's not going to fluctuate much - nothing to be concerned about at all.

My TPMS readings on the dash are always within a pound from my dial-type gauge ( I check every so often against standards so know it's accurate)

So mine has been VERY accurate. If it says 37 on the dash, that's what my gauge reads.

Jeep uses the dTPMS while many European vehicles use iTPMS, less accurate in most cases, while dTPMS can be quite accurate. iTPMS has typically worked using the ABS/ESC sensors - the idea that under-inflated tires have a smaller rolling diameter - gets complex, but there is no direct pressure sensing in the tire like what Jeep uses - which again is dTPMS.

It's an electronic sensor, sensing directly the pressure inside the tire. So if the tire were to EXPAND the pressure would read lower - but the steel belts and other construction features won't allow it to change much. It's not a balloon in that sense.

Don't over think this. - it's going to change a bit, but not drastically.

GrubbyBaja

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR, 6-speed
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Sorry for the thread hijack, but I do have a TPMS question: Does the spare (Rubicon) have a TPMS sensor. Guess I could go out to the garage and throw on my spare, but I'm being lazy and thought I would ask here first.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for the thread hijack, but I do have a TPMS question: Does the spare (Rubicon) have a TPMS sensor. Guess I could go out to the garage and throw on my spare, but I'm being lazy and thought I would ask here first.
No, no TPMS in spare of any JT.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Fixed it for ya.
So you think people who have swapped out their spare may not know what they put under it?
LOL- I would think anyone should know that if they've replaced the stock spare tire and/or wheel if they had added TPMS sensor to it.

But then maybe some folks do have to ask "does the aftermarket wheel and tire I just put under my Ford Raptor have TPMS sensor in it" - wouldn't put it past some Ford owners HAHAHA (J/K)

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
So you think people who have swapped out their spare may not know what they put under it?
LOL- I would think anyone should know that if they've replaced the stock spare tire and/or wheel if they had added TPMS sensor to it.

But then maybe some folks do have to ask "does the aftermarket wheel and tire I just put under my Ford Raptor have TPMS sensor in it" - wouldn't put it past some Ford owners HAHAHA (J/K)

Not everyone here bought their Gladiator new or know what is and isn't on their truck.

Even some of the ones that had work done to their new Gladiator don't know what is on their truck.

We must remember, not everyone is mechanically inclined or knowledgeable.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
And judging by some of the threads here, there are some JT owners who know more than their dealers, even the dealership shops.
Sad.

But I get what you mean.
Sponsored