Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
When wheeling in terrain like that, vs driving to a camping spot, you should always go in pairs.
So if they were solo, that's a breakage of one major safety rule.

And when wheeling terrain like that, IMHO a winch is a necessity. But, even with that bent trackbar, once the tire was on, they should have been able to limp out of there.

This past weekend we wheeled a bunch of Red Trails. In the mid west, they would be rated 8-10.
There were a variety of times where we broke out the winches. In some cases, it was just for proactive safety to prevent a flop. I even messed up once and needed a slight pull to get me off and over a rock that had me wedged in.

A couple of weekend's ago, I wheeled with a different club and assumed that everyone was setup properly. They weren't and I had to recover the other jeeps on 4 separate occasions and they should have been able to do it themselves. I had to run about 80' of winch line to put a snatch block in front of them, while my jeep was behind them and then pull them forward and/or to the side. That was a learning lesson for me. In the future, I will make sure people have winches if we are hitting the hardcore trails and if they don't 2 things will happen. I will tell them to join a lower rated group or I will not go with them.

Just my $.05 from decades of experience
Well yeah never flying solo is pretty much the golden rule and I'm definitely not defending them as being prepared, but I'm not sure being prepared outside the buddy system would have helped from where they are. Saying that trail is no joke is an understatement and even from Rocker Knocker, getting back requires articulation which would wedge that tire into the frame. Had they been with someone that would have been pretty manageable to skull drag it over a few hangups to get down but I'm not confident even an above average person is managing solo without causing a lot more damage.
Sponsored

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
I agree
Hopefully they learned some useful lessons and the repair cost isn't too bad

RidinDirty

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Impressive without lockers. It's all about how much pain and damage you are willing to accept. I'll stick with built rigs to do stuff like that.

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. These Glads are more capable than some will give credit. Gladis loves Moab 😁

With that being said ....why would anyone do this? P Canyon. Nope. Anything else in Moab but that.....in Gladiator.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. These Glads are more capable than some will give credit. Gladis loves Moab 😁

With that being said ....why would anyone do this? P Canyon. Nope. Anything else in Moab but that.....in Gladiator.
This JT is the most capable, comfortable, and safest trail vehicle I have ever owned so long as width , wheelbase, and overhangs aren't the limiting factors!

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ

Ironically I think a JT is a great platform for Pritchett if you can shorten the ass end. I've been through in a TJ and I needed to change my pants about 3 times. It's super sketchy in a short wheelbase.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure that track bar is something even the most prepared people would be prepared to fix. Certainly not without another vehicle at the least.
Well when I was running my XJ I planned for that and have sleeved the steering linkage with High-Lift handle to get back home. I have Ready Welder was running dual batteries fixed more than a few others stuff on trails and mall crawling. ;) but being prepared and having plan C,D,E on n on. I took a spare hubs, U-joints and a T-case some times. I stuck with stock U-joints in drive shafts for a cheap Fuze.

I wasn't expecting so little damage to the JT. I'd not likely to be taking my JT though hardly any trails shown on U-tube channels, but damn sure if I had my XJ still running and had a set of 35s or 37s on it. 4:56s and locked :like: it was mainly a point and go.

Akgladiator

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Gladiator Wrangler Camaro Mustang GXP Taurus
Occupation
Bee
Money cannot buy skill or ego.