Sponsored

Trail Rail removal

AdamH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Rubicon, 23 Wagoneer, 83 Scrambler
Trying to remove the factory Trail Rail system with factory spray in bed liner. We are installing the EVO bed rack.

All bolts removed but the rails will not budge from the bed sides. I assume the liner was still wet / tacky when the rails were installed??!? We have had two guys sitting in the bed pulling out on the cleats for leverage and nothing.

Any ideas?
Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Trying to remove the factory Trail Rail system with factory spray in bed liner. We are installing the EVO bed rack.

All bolts removed but the rails will not budge from the bed sides. I assume the liner was still wet / tacky when the rails were installed??!? We have had two guys sitting in the bed pulling out on the cleats for leverage and nothing.

Any ideas?
Yes, there is a pushpin on the end of the rail towards the tailgate and possibly at the front, I do not quite remember if there is one at the front.... At the back, Just get something to wedge in there to get the pushpin to pull out.

OP
OP

AdamH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Rubicon, 23 Wagoneer, 83 Scrambler
Yes, there is a pushpin on the end of the rail towards the tailgate and possibly at the front, I do not quite remember if there is one at the front.... At the back, Just get something to wedge in there to get the pushpin to pull out.
Yep, knew those push pins were in there but that wasn't what seemed to be holding it so tight. Turns out around each hole was the strongest double sided tape I have ever encountered. We're rolling now. Thanks

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
Yep, knew those push pins were in there but that wasn't what seemed to be holding it so tight. Turns out around each hole was the strongest double sided tape I have ever encountered. We're rolling now. Thanks
Interesting. Maybe they use the tape in the factory to hold it in place before attaching the screws.

I'm building my own DIY rails this weekend. Was not planning on adding any tape.

Onestripe

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon LE
What did you use to wedge behind the trail rail that allowed you enough leverage to remove the rail being held on with the double sided tape? I’m having the same issue with removing the rail system. It’s slowing my MOLLE install. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored

Onestripe

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon LE
Alright...I know the OP is old, but someone may need some help down the road.
There is some automotive double stick tape on the back of the rail, but not enough to cause the rail to hold that tight (yeah, it’s tight if you’re thinkin of removing it). Plus, if you have a spray in bed liner, that coating isn’t strong enough to keep the rail in place and no one wants to mess with installing a rail while the coating is wet!
Anyway, there is a plastic clip/rivet towards the front AND the rear of the rail that YOU CAN NOT SEE!!! Use the claw end of a hammer and a rag (to protect your paint/bed liner) and gently pry the rail from the bottom, at both the front and rear of the rail. You’ll hear a “pop”. That means you’ve disconnected the plastic clip/rivet from behind the rail.

I removed the clip/rivet and threw it away as the other 5 bolts are enough to keep the rail secured.
Good luck! Don’t bother calling JCR cause they didn’t know about the clip/rivet when I called customer support.

Longleaf

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2018 Desert Sled
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I attached a ratchet strap from one trail rail to the other and used them to pull each other out (let me pull straight across). The double sided tape is rather impressive...

AK6Q

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 CJ5 pending 2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
What are you doing with the trail rail after removal.... I am looking for one.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
I attached a ratchet strap from one trail rail to the other and used them to pull each other out (let me pull straight across). The double sided tape is rather impressive...
Ha - I did this exact same method. I thought I was crazy. The method that ended up working for me was a cloth covered pry bar (small) and small piece of hardwood to use as a lever point. Damn that tape was stuck tight! Just before the first one broke loose I had the thought "damn I'm about to break my new truck" - I should have researched this forum better...

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator JT 2021
Occupation
Portfolio Manager
Can Confirm - 2020 Gladiator, it's mainly stuck due to the plastic pins on each end, claw hammer and some pressure will pop them.

RbrtVlrd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
2021 Gladiator here. I took the advice and used ratchet straps connected to both rails. Unfortunately, this only removed one rail. This makes sense in hindsight but I guess I was hoping for both rails to magically pop off and I would be able to call it a day. Instead I had to attach the remaining rail to something sturdy and pop it off. I'm not sure if it's the double-sided tape or the plastic push pins (or a combination of both) but these rails refuse to pop off without a fight. The worst part was having to deal with the heavily loaded straps that felt like defusing a bomb anytime I wanted to release the tension. Oh well, the rails are removed now.
Jeep Gladiator Trail Rail removal 71219736099__8A1EEDA9-8815-4B50-9C92-8E6051301609
Sponsored