Trailer Tow Setup

Punknhead

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Wanted to get opinions on my camper towing setup. My camper weighs about 4500 lbs empty. I have a Max Tow Sport S. My questions is about the weight distributing hitch setup. I have a Fastway E2 hitch. With my camper and truck loaded for a typical camping trip, my current hitch adjustment has my front 7/16 lower than normal (unloaded truck with no camper) and and the rear is 1/16 HIGHER than normal ( a tiny difference). Obviously I am lifting the back of my truck a little with the hitch—causing the front to go down a little. Is this a problem—or are these numbers too small to matter? I know lifting the back too much can be dangerous—causing control issues. It drives fine with the load—no sway at 65 mph. Looking for feedback from people smarter than me.
Sponsored

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Would need to know what you mean by having both loaded for a regular camping trip. IMO, those numbers you showed would have been great for before loading your truck and camper. But you are very close. Ideally you want load distributed evenly front to back.

OP
OP
Punknhead

Punknhead

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I just meant that the truck and camper were loaded with gear, etc. and not empty. I was thinking that would be better than taking measurements while empty since that is how we would be traveling. Load was within the limits of the truck and the camper. Just wondering if I am better off having the truck squat a little versus the small lift the hitch is giving me on the rear—although it is only 1/16 inch. I may try to adjust the hitch again to see if I can get rid of the small lift in the back—which I assume would also lessen the amount that the front is being pushed down. Too much math!

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Gladiator Trailer Tow Setup Tow

Loaded without Distribution bars attached. ( waiting on drop shank) Approx. 600# tongue weight. Sits almost perfect. Power was great with the 488's . Trailer weighs about 4500# as it sits.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
When loaded normally, you want the tow vehicle to remain level, and the trailer to be level. These are independent adjustments. For vehicle level, start by measuring your height at the front bumper. Yes, front. This is per Reese, eTrailer, and other experts. You will want to set the WD bars/chains/angle to return this to the same height or very close.

For the trailer, measure your trailer frame height at the axle. This will be the same height at the front of the frame when it is level. Get the hitch hooked up and chains/bars set up. If the trailer is not level, adjust the height of the ball carrier up or down. If the vehicle has changed in attitude, adjust the chains. And you should adjust the tilt of the ball carrier so that the WD bars are parallel to the trailer frame. You may need to roll through all of these adjustments multiple times. I spent 90 minutes putting mine on the first time, now it tows absolutely flat and perfect.

This is all in the manual for the WD system.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Oh, and do NOT go with the crazy old wive's tale of tensioning the chains with the trailer way up, then dropping it. You should have the trailer touching the ball but not putting weight on it, then tie up the chains, then drop the trailer which should remain at the same height.
Sponsored