Sponsored

Truck Covers USA Tonneau: Pros and Cons?

DrJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Overland
Thanks so much for the response. Yeah, cost certainly sucks on this, but I guess you get what you pay for. Also seems to be the only one out there that meets all my needs. Want the bars/RTT low profile, not above the cab. Also want to be able to open the cover with everything on there. That's great on keeping the bed dry. Did you have to weather strip the tailgate for that?
No weather strip, it does fine
Sponsored

SoonerDPT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon (sting-gray), 2013 Kawasaki KLR
No weather strip, it does fine
Another question for you, if you don't mind. I ordered the full bed cover, with the tracks and crossbars. I made the assumption that it was the same crossbars/towers pictured. It is apparently coming with the round bars and not sure as to the towers. It looks like you have the HD cross bars, which are supposed to be their strongest? I'm concerned their round bars may not be sufficient for RT tent and other heavy loads. Do you know what towers you ordered and if you have any knowledge of the round bars? Yakima tech support wasn't actually too helpful. They said round bars "should be sufficient, but not sure".

sirsamuel764

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
@DrJ so glad I found this thread. This is very similar to the set up that I was hoping to run when I get my JT. I was worried that the Yakima bars wouldnt hold the RTT. Can't wait to get this set up... but it will definitely entail some saving.

Reactions: DrJ

DrJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Overland
Another question for you, if you don't mind. I ordered the full bed cover, with the tracks and crossbars. I made the assumption that it was the same crossbars/towers pictured. It is apparently coming with the round bars and not sure as to the towers. It looks like you have the HD cross bars, which are supposed to be their strongest? I'm concerned their round bars may not be sufficient for RT tent and other heavy loads. Do you know what towers you ordered and if you have any knowledge of the round bars? Yakima tech support wasn't actually too helpful. They said round bars "should be sufficient, but not sure".
I got the HD bars directly from truck covers in place of the round bars.

Give Kim an email at
ktremelling at truckcoversusa dot com

She was wonderful to deal with and getting the HD bars is cheaper directly through her.

I have the 68” bars because I needed extra room to mount the bike racks beside the RTT you may opt to go with the shorter bars depending on your needs. I believe mine came with the skyline towers which is the standard for this setup.

SoonerDPT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon (sting-gray), 2013 Kawasaki KLR
I got the HD bars directly from truck covers in place of the round bars.

Give Kim an email at
ktremelling at truckcoversusa dot com

She was wonderful to deal with and getting the HD bars is cheaper directly through her.

I have the 68” bars because I needed extra room to mount the bike racks beside the RTT you may opt to go with the shorter bars depending on your needs. I believe mine came with the skyline towers which is the standard for this setup.
Appreciate your help. I emailed and spoke to Kim. She was a great help. Turns out the round bars were not recommended for a RTT.

Sponsored

The Gas Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
@DrJ and @SoonerDPT: I love your tonneau setup and am looking to do the same with my gladiator. Are you two still happy with your decisions? Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance!

DrJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Overland
@DrJ and @SoonerDPT: I love your tonneau setup and am looking to do the same with my gladiator. Are you two still happy with your decisions? Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance!
Still loving my setup, wouldn’t change anything!

Recently took the rack and RTT off to haul some stuff and put the RTT away for winter. Will put the rack back on for the next snowboard trip. Super easy to take it off/put it back on.

the3rdlp

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon diesel
@DrJ love the setup, could you possibly post a pic of the unit with the cover rolled up onto the drum so I can see how much space it takes up inside the bed. Oh, and is the measurement between exactly 48" or a bit over/under? Thanks!

DrJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Overland
@DrJ love the setup, could you possibly post a pic of the unit with the cover rolled up onto the drum so I can see how much space it takes up inside the bed. Oh, and is the measurement between exactly 48" or a bit over/under? Thanks!
Out of town for a few days. Will try and remember when I get home!

DrJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Overland
Width at tailgate is just a bit over 48”.
Beneath the cover, the canister sticks into the bed 8” and the cover on top sticks into the bed 12” overall. Canister has 11” free underneath it at the head of the bed.

See pics below...

Let me know if you have more questions,
Cheers

Jeep Gladiator Truck Covers USA Tonneau:  Pros and Cons? AC9A9F50-2E9C-4661-BC18-098ACEA49FB3

Jeep Gladiator Truck Covers USA Tonneau:  Pros and Cons? C32B8ED3-972F-444D-94FF-F0D4EAED65FE

Jeep Gladiator Truck Covers USA Tonneau:  Pros and Cons? D84C2346-9C49-46DB-8797-353F4AA967DF

Sponsored

the3rdlp

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks @DrJ that is perfect. Being over 48" makes it still usable for sheets of wood. I appreciate it. Do you have a link to your bed build-out? Looks like a bunch of cool custom work in those slider trays.

DrJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Overland
Glad it could help.

Unfortunately I didn’t do any kind of write up but would be happy to answer any questions you have. The build was relatively simple after I spent a week measuring/planning.

the3rdlp

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No worries, I've never taken the time to document any builds on any of my toys ever. Do you have a pic of the entire bed showing all your platforms and storage?

the3rdlp

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@DrJ slick setup! Thanks for sharing the photos, they will inspire plans for my JT. I have a JLUR right now but will be ordering a JTR in February.
Sponsored

Reactions: DrJ