Sponsored

Truck Covers USA Tonneau: Pros and Cons?

FocoRusty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Firecracker Red
None really, except the initial sticker shock... this thing is expensive!

Keeps my bed absolutely dry during insane downpours/wind storms. It’s rock solid, and opens/closes nicely.

Only thing I wish they would change is the ability to work with the trail rail system. I ended up selling my trail rail parts but feel it would be a bonus if I could still use them with the system.
I also have the TCUSA roll cover with rails and Yakima rack, and I agree, the only real downside (other than price) is that the setup blocks the mounting points for the trail rail system (or anything else that uses those mounting points ie. Molle panels).

I haven't found the amount of overhang over the bed to be an issue at all. I actually do transport full sheets of plywood often without difficulty.

The only other issue I have found is that many bed racks like the half and full racks won't be compatible with the cover. The rails and Yakima towers give you the option of mounting their cargo platforms, but even their larger racks, like the Outpost and Overhaul, aren't compatible. I spoke to a rep from TCUSA in early 2020 when I was considering buying and at that time they were working on a new rail system that would be compatible with the larger racks, but then the pandemic happened, so no idea if/when that will come through. Kim at TCUSA is very helpful and would be able to answer any questions you have.
Sponsored

SoonerDPT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon (sting-gray), 2013 Kawasaki KLR
@DrJ and @SoonerDPT: I love your tonneau setup and am looking to do the same with my gladiator. Are you two still happy with your decisions? Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance!
Hey, sorry for the delay. I'm not on here much now after getting my truck. I really love my setup. I really have no drawbacks with the cover. My only suggestion would be (seems obvious), but do some kind of tailgate seal kit. Never crossed my mind and went on a two day adventure. Everything in the bed was covered in dust/dirt.

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I just installed my rtt on the tonneau yesterday. Drove 120 miles on the highway today, everything looks good so far.

Trying the tent out for the first time tonight. Will let you know how it goes.

Did you have any specific questions?

BF3EC467-4B0B-4330-994C-35B54C913C12.jpeg
Very late reply, but my TCUSA cover is currently being built (fingers crossed for a mid-July arrival), and I'm currently looking at RTT options. Which TMBK tent is this? Seems like this is about the max size you could go, so I'm curious what dimensions it is.

Also, based on your personal experience with it, do you think an annex is possible? Setting aside that it would likely droop, of course.

DrJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Overland
Very late reply, but my TCUSA cover is currently being built (fingers crossed for a mid-July arrival), and I'm currently looking at RTT options. Which TMBK tent is this? Seems like this is about the max size you could go, so I'm curious what dimensions it is.

Also, based on your personal experience with it, do you think an annex is possible? Setting aside that it would likely droop, of course.
This is the TMBK2 tent. They have some options including a new tent that is just slightly larger that would still fit, check out their website.

Don’t think an annex would be worth it since the tent doesn’t sit high enough to be able to stand underneath, we decided against an annex for this reason.

Overall it’s a great setup, I have room to mount bikes on either side of the tent since I went with the wider HD crossbars. The tent is below cab height so it helps with wind resistance and it’s also nice to not have to climb up a higher ladder when getting in/out.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Cheers,
Jason

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
This is the TMBK2 tent. They have some options including a new tent that is just slightly larger that would still fit, check out their website.

Don’t think an annex would be worth it since the tent doesn’t sit high enough to be able to stand underneath, we decided against an annex for this reason.

Overall it’s a great setup, I have room to mount bikes on either side of the tent since I went with the wider HD crossbars. The tent is below cab height so it helps with wind resistance and it’s also nice to not have to climb up a higher ladder when getting in/out.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Cheers,
Jason
Thanks - I ended up going with the 60" HD bars since that's exactly the width of the bed, and didn't really want them sticking out.

Understandable about the height - was thinking there might still be room to stand in that spot (i.e. next to the ladder), and an annex, although tight/droopy, would make for a decent clothes changing spot. But appreciate the input.

Sponsored

DrJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Overland
Thanks - I ended up going with the 60" HD bars since that's exactly the width of the bed, and didn't really want them sticking out.

Understandable about the height - was thinking there might still be room to stand in that spot (i.e. next to the ladder), and an annex, although tight/droopy, would make for a decent clothes changing spot. But appreciate the input.
You can certainly stand near the ladder under an annex, just make sure you get a tent that has the extended cover above the annex, ours does not.

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
You can certainly stand near the ladder under an annex, just make sure you get a tent that has the extended cover above the annex, ours does not.
Have another quick question - did TCUSA provide you with all the hardware necessary to install? I found an instruction sheet that says you need to remove the factory trail rail system and reuse the hardware...but that seems odd to require having it only to remove it for the hardware.
Jeep Gladiator Truck Covers USA Tonneau:  Pros and Cons? 1625871688242

DrJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Overland
Have another quick question - did TCUSA provide you with all the hardware necessary to install? I found an instruction sheet that says you need to remove the factory trail rail system and reuse the hardware...but that seems odd to require having it only to remove it for the hardware.
All I know is that I was able to sell my trail rails with the hardware to somebody else

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
All I know is that I was able to sell my trail rails with the hardware to somebody else
Thanks, hoping it comes with it.

BTW, any chance you know what the effective usable height is below the cover, accounting for the lip at the end as you're rolling it in? I'm curious what the tallest item is that will fit. I figure it's between 17-18", but I'm looking at something which is 17.5" so it's a bit too close to call (yes, I can wait, but getting anxious and trying to buy stuff ahead of time).

DrJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Overland
It’s only about 16.5”. I’m not with the truck at the moment, could get you an exact answer Tuesday.

Sponsored

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I also have the TCUSA roll cover with rails and Yakima rack, and I agree, the only real downside (other than price) is that the setup blocks the mounting points for the trail rail system (or anything else that uses those mounting points ie. Molle panels).

I haven't found the amount of overhang over the bed to be an issue at all. I actually do transport full sheets of plywood often without difficulty.

The only other issue I have found is that many bed racks like the half and full racks won't be compatible with the cover. The rails and Yakima towers give you the option of mounting their cargo platforms, but even their larger racks, like the Outpost and Overhaul, aren't compatible. I spoke to a rep from TCUSA in early 2020 when I was considering buying and at that time they were working on a new rail system that would be compatible with the larger racks, but then the pandemic happened, so no idea if/when that will come through. Kim at TCUSA is very helpful and would be able to answer any questions you have.
If you are still looking for a full rack compatible with mounting on there, talk with xtrusion-overland.com they are now working on T-Slot brackets for the BAK Revolver X4s, I'm guessing they would do custom mounting brackets for this tonneau too.

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I know this is an older post, but I'm going to be testing the xtrusion-overland.com prototype mounting brackets with my BAK Revolver X4s. Will make a new post when I get everything in a few weeks.

OP
OP
WMWHV

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
I know this is an older post, but I'm going to be testing the xtrusion-overland.com prototype mounting brackets with my BAK Revolver X4s. Will make a new post when I get everything in a few weeks.
GREAT! I ended up with the Revolver X4 and am still looking for a rack solution. I think the Yakima will work, but the cost is really up there.

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
GREAT! I ended up with the Revolver X4 and am still looking for a rack solution. I think the Yakima will work, but the cost is really up there.
If you have the X4, and not the X4s then I think you don't have the T-slot track on the side rails. I think the current wide brackets they have will fit yours with a little trimming on the Revolver rail.

OP
OP
WMWHV

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
If you have the X4, and not the X4s then I think you don't have the T-slot track on the side rails. I think the current wide brackets they have will fit yours with a little trimming on the Revolver rail.
I have the X4, but it does have the T Slot on the side rails outside the tonneau. I am looking for a solution that fits in those T Slots and is easy on and off, as I don't want a rack all the time. The perfect rack for me would be a height adjustable set of crossbars that could carry a canoe that extends over the cab and an empty stokes basket just high enough that I could roll up the tonneau.
Sponsored