First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Management
I just recently bought a new 8.4" uconnect with nav to replace my 7" head unit, swap looked pretty simple but when I removed the connectors I discovered that my 7" has two mini usb connectors (gray and black) and the 8.4" has one (gray). I plugged everything in and everything appears to be working correctly except now the assist and SOS lights on the rear view mirror are solid red. Anyone know why there are two mini USB on my 7" head unit, what that "extra" cable goes to and why I might have solid red on the assist and sos lights?
Jeep Gladiator Uconnect 7 to 8.4 - Extra Mini USB Cable radio.JPG
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
This really is not in the purview of Jeep Cares to drill down on things unless it is "as-built" and most time to just help you coordinate a dealer visit.

The extra USB connector is currently not used.

That being said, below is a screen grab from the owners manual that gives insight that your Sirius Guardian service may not be linked to your new radio to give service. I will say that Jeep does not support 8.4 upgrades to vehicles that were not built with them to begin with and will not allow you to register and get Uconnect 4G services on a 8.4 upgrade from a 7.0 radio. So if your Sirius Guardian is tied to any Uconnect Services, you may be SOL on getting it to see your new radio and give SOS and assist service.

SOS.jpg

OP
OP

jpregione

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. My original radio (7") came with guardian trial, which I found out later was still registered to the original owner. I contacted Guardian and they updated the owner information, plus activated a free trial for me. I can see the Guardian options on mopar.com as well as on my uconnect (and jeep) apps, and all seem to work, ie I can lock door, open door, etc. Also, if I remember correctly, when I spoke with Guardian they verified on their side they see my new radio. Not sure how you verify whether or not the radio is connected to an operable LTE / 4G data network... I guess I just assumed that if there were no issues with the connection on the old radio it would function properly with the new. Which ultimately led to the question of "what's this extra mini usb cable that I can't plug into my new radio". Sorry If I didn't digest your information correctly but I'm having a hard time understanding why "remote" guardian services are available but in the vehicle they aren't. Truth be told I really just want the red lights to go away :)

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2018 JLUR, 2016 JKRHR, 2022 MK8 GTI
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cube Monkey
Did you ever solve this? Any other issues come up?

I'm about to swap radios (I think) from 7" to 8.4" in my Sport S and looking to prevent any pitfalls. I do not have the Guardian service but do have Sirius.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

jpregione

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
haven't solved it yet, but sirius works find. If you can post pictures of the back of your old radio (showing cables) and back of new radio that would be awesome. it appears there are so many different potential configurations it might help me later on once i get back in the mindset of continuing with this.

OP
OP

jpregione

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
sorry, thought you already had replacement radio. if not maybe start by pulling your current radio to see what connections it has... :)

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cube Monkey
sorry, thought you already had replacement radio. if not maybe start by pulling your current radio to see what connections it has... :)
Ordered one off FB but they couldn't tell me if it was from a JT or JL. Waiting for it to come in before I dismantle my dash.

gMetal

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Solar technician
Did you ever solve this? Any other issues come up?

I'm about to swap radios (I think) from 7" to 8.4" in my Sport S and looking to prevent any pitfalls. I do not have the Guardian service but do have Sirius.
Did you ever complete the swap from 7”to8.4” I’m wanting to do the same as well. Curious how it went.

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Ordered one off FB but they couldn't tell me if it was from a JT or JL. Waiting for it to come in before I dismantle my dash.
If you have the part number, you can look it up on any of the mopar stores online. It should tell you if the radio was from a gladiator or wrangler.

Sponsored

SSinGA

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cube Monkey
Did you ever complete the swap from 7”to8.4” I’m wanting to do the same as well. Curious how it went.
Unfortunately, no. Got scammed and the radio was never shipped.

Jhuff77

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Human Resources
Wanted to update on this post…I have a 2023 jeep gladiator sport s that I just upgraded from a 7” to 8.4” unconnect. Bought a brand new radio and bezel from factoryChryslerparts.com. Total including shipping was $1200. Definitely recommended this as opposed to nismopar, infotainment.com, or used. I too had an extra black mini usb plug from my 7” that didn’t connect to the 8.4” At first I thought it was for the usb ports, but after install and letting the Jeep sit for two hours both ports worked( including the center console that actually runs CarPlay as well and doesn’t just charge only after radio install. My red lights for sos and assist are on, but honestly I only used remote start via the app twice so no big loss. I was amazed that the radio synced so quickly, camera, climate, Sirius, nav…everything worked just by letting the Jeep sit for a couple of hours. I think I probably had less issues since I bought a new unit instead of overpaying for a used or refurb.

Kooner69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 jeep wrangler
Occupation
Business owner
I just recently bought a new 8.4" uconnect with nav to replace my 7" head unit, swap looked pretty simple but when I removed the connectors I discovered that my 7" has two mini usb connectors (gray and black) and the 8.4" has one (gray). I plugged everything in and everything appears to be working correctly except now the assist and SOS lights on the rear view mirror are solid red. Anyone know why there are two mini USB on my 7" head unit, what that "extra" cable goes to and why I might have solid red on the assist and sos lights?
Jeep Gladiator Uconnect 7 to 8.4 - Extra Mini USB Cable SOS
Did yoi ever find out what the black one is for? I did a 7" to 8.4 swap and yes the 8.4 only had the grey not the black one also? Just wondering if I need it is all

OP
OP

jpregione

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
Apparently it goes to the telematics module "something like that", long story short without massive rewiring it won't have full functionality. It works fine for everything I use, just hate those red lights being on all the time... but it doesn't bug me anymore to the point that I need to fix it.

Jhuff77

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Human Resources
My telematics works without the black plug, the remote functions in the app work. The red lights are from Siriusxm guardian not showing the new iMei And iccid umber on the new radio on their end. I read on a ram forum that someone called siriusxm guardian and gave them the new radio imei and iccid numbers, and once it was transferred on their end the red lights go away.
Sponsored