Sponsored

Unsold Mojave

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC Sierra 2wd, NV3500 trans, 3:73 TruTrac
That Youtube video kind of explains the Mojave. I don't think he is correct on that hood scoop though. Just by what pictures and videos I've observed it looks no functioning. I could be wrong as I have never seen one in person.

I sure do wish the 2022 had the new I6 Tornado engine that is going into a lot of the other platforms.
Sponsored

Cripton805

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
I have been doing researching until my eyes are watering over the last year on what my wife and I are going to get for our cross country retirement rig. She wants small and maneuverable over large. So 2 door Rubicon Wrangler vs the Mojave Gladiator vs 4 Runner.. Test driving on freeway will be the only way to decide. We may end up renting each one for a few days.
I think you will be happiest with the 4 Runner. It's more comfortable and smooth on the Freeway. You can't beat the support from Toyota either. My GF is a Toyota Service advisor and the company stands behind their products.

One thing to note. The Gladiator does feel long. Especially turning and trying to maneuver tight spaces compared to a Wrangler or 4 Runner. The turning radius does bother me especially coming from a JLU. The seats are also not very comfortable at all on the JL and JT. I wouldn't get a 2DR JL. It's just too small for a Cross Country rig. The Gladiator would make a decent cross country rig, but keep in mind. It won't be enclosed and you will probably need a bed cover. It is pretty long to reach things when you drop the tailgate. Might be an issue with older folk. Still like my Gladiator with its flaws. Although, if I was older. I would probably pick the 4Runner over the Gladiator / 2Dr JL. The JLU is pretty nice, but still not as comfortable as a 4Runner.

With the issues I had with my Jeeps and the value compared to the Toyota. I don't think I would buy a Jeep if I was retired.

Although I own a JT. I don't like to state a bias and pick at the flaws and be as honest as I can.

Enjoy your retirement. šŸ‘

Mvitch

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Financial Advisor
Good video, overall explains the differences. But Rubicons do lock the rear differential in 4 hi, so that's out of date. Also, as long as you have the towing package, engine cooling is the same.
It didnā€™t say the Rubicon canā€™t lockup the rear. The gear ratio on the Mojave, stronger frame, steel knuckles, springs and shocks together allow the Mojave to be at higher speed in 4high. Iā€™ve driven and ridden a particular wash board area I hunt with 4Runner, FJ, and my Mojave. Night and day!

Mvitch

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Mvitch

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah I know. WRT to what you'd actually be able to get out of a Mojave in a place like VA, I still think it's not the right vehicle for the area in terms of you're going to actually be accessing the added benefits, other than the suspension which can be added to any Jeep. The things that make the Mojave stand truly out are lost in VA. I spent many years in DC metro area and up and down that eastern corridor, you aren't really doing Mojave things there. Which has been my point all along. It's called the Mojave for a reason, it isn't called the Malljave.
Hereā€™s a nut from Midwest testing a Mojave

Sponsored

ezekio3160

First Name
Ezekiel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
It didnā€™t say the Rubicon canā€™t lockup the rear. The gear ratio on the Mojave, stronger frame, steel knuckles, springs and shocks together allow the Mojave to be at higher speed in 4high. Iā€™ve driven and ridden a particular wash board area I hunt with 4Runner, FJ, and my Mojave. Night and day!
The frame from the Mojave and rubicon are the same. Mojave frame difference is ā€œreinforced suspension points on frameā€

Closet Jeep guy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3rd gen tacoma
I think you will be happiest with the 4 Runner. It's more comfortable and smooth on the Freeway. You can't beat the support from Toyota either. My GF is a Toyota Service advisor and the company stands behind their products.

One thing to note. The Gladiator does feel long. Especially turning and trying to maneuver tight spaces compared to a Wrangler or 4 Runner. The turning radius does bother me especially coming from a JLU. The seats are also not very comfortable at all on the JL and JT. I wouldn't get a 2DR JL. It's just too small for a Cross Country rig. The Gladiator would make a decent cross country rig, but keep in mind. It won't be enclosed and you will probably need a bed cover. It is pretty long to reach things when you drop the tailgate. Might be an issue with older folk. Still like my Gladiator with its flaws. Although, if I was older. I would probably pick the 4Runner over the Gladiator / 2Dr JL. The JLU is pretty nice, but still not as comfortable as a 4Runner.

With the issues I had with my Jeeps and the value compared to the Toyota. I don't think I would buy a Jeep if I was retired.

Although I own a JT. I don't like to state a bias and pick at the flaws and be as honest as I can.

Enjoy your retirement. šŸ‘
I test drove a Mojave with leather...far more comfortable them my 2021 off road premium Tacoma with leather

Mvitch

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The frame from the Mojave and rubicon are the same. Mojave frame difference is ā€œreinforced suspension points on frameā€
My comments about the strengthened frame of the Mojave model came from Motor Trend reviews and several comparisons done by a dealer who sells both Rubicon and Mojave Gladiators.

ezekio3160

First Name
Ezekiel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon