Upcoming 3 day drive to OR, need tips and advice

mstrav73

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Yes...I'm taking 80 to Winnemeca, NV? Then up to US 95, and then over to hwy 410 towards Crater Lake/Klamath Falls.

Anyone have suggestions for decent tire cables/chains? Also, any ideas about covers for the windows for privacy?

ok, so your going to winne, straight N up through mcdermott which is about an hour drive and the Nevada boarder and then your in Oregon going north but climbing in elevation and will turn NW at burns junction. There is lots of game through there and also watch Oregon 511 and the cameras for up to date road info. There are areas through there with no phone service.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Yallaen

Yallaen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport-S upgraded
Occupation
Information Security
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks all for the further advice! Based on input, here's my plan:
1. Back seat air mattress bought. Will sleep in sleeping bag.
2. Spare comforter for pooch
3. No heater. If it gets cold enough, I'll start car.
4. I only have 2.8k on these tires. Not enough$$ in the budget for snow tires.
5. I purchased chains, 4 of them.
6. I'm getting the soft cover for the bed to keep stuff dry and hidden.
7. Lots of snacks, camping type food. I will probably splurge for food on the way.
8. Black trash bags/painters tape and/or blankets for privacy.
9. Lots of videos loaded on FireHD tablet :)
10. HAVE FUN!!!

OP
OP
Yallaen

Yallaen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Information Security
Vehicle Showcase
I'd thought I'd give an update on the trip! We left Thursday after work, around 3pm Central time. I-70 WB to KC. I-29 NB to Nebraska City, NE. As we were turning NB out of KC, my phone beeped, and I got a weather msg on my console: Blizzard Warning. WHAT???? Well, seems the weather had changed since I checked first thing in the morning! We stopped at around 9pm off of Hwy 2/I-29. Put up black plastic bags on windows. Got an air mattress for the rear seat. Sleeping bag. It was a bit cramped, but doable. I was zonked out! Woke up at 0330 and it had started blowing and snowing. At 0530, I checked radar, and was on the western edge of the storm; 50 miles to the west, Lincoln NE, was the line. I got up and drove into the 30 mph+ winds and snow...and got to Lincoln unscathed. The roads weren't bad..until I got INTO Lincoln, then they were yuck.

Got a rock ding on my windshield about an hour from Rawlins, WY. That turned into a crack..which later turned into a long crack. I had that Crystal Fusion stuff on the windshield, so we will see if they honor the warranty.

I decided to blow my saved-up points, and got a hotel for the next 2 nights, which both were pet friendly. I stayed in Rawlins, WY at the Holiday Inn Express (great place), and in Winnemucca, NV (it was nice, but loud neighbors).

I-80 was mostly newly built, so great drive other than the WIND on Friday! It was brutal. Saw a semitruck blow over in front of me Friday in Aurora, NE. Ended up going north route, and took US 95 north to Hwy 140 west. I got on Hwy 140, and didn't see another car for 40 minutes! Then it was 1 pickup, and not another for another 25 minutes until I stopped for gas.

The scenery was great. Hwy 140 had some shady areas in the mountains that had frost/snow on them. I may consider going I-5 south on return trip...but we will see...

Dagny

First Name
Dagny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element, Honda Monkey, Kawasaki Vulcan S
The scenery was great. Hwy 140 had some shady areas in the mountains that had frost/snow on them. I may consider going I-5 south on return trip...but we will see...
Thanks for the update -- good to hear that you and the pup made it okay! Sounds like you drove through the enormous wind-packed storm that started in the Pacific Northwest and hit the Rocky Mountain states hard.

I-80 I remember well driving during the last week of April 2004 in a Miata. Gusty then and that car was a lot more slippery in the wind.

This thread inspired me to go through my car gear, because even if your vehicle has no trouble if one in front of you does (like the flipped semi) then you may be stuck on the road for a long while.

Best wishes to you in Oregon and on the return journey. I'd take a different route home just for the change of scenery.

Dagny

First Name
Dagny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element, Honda Monkey, Kawasaki Vulcan S
By the way, for insulation and privacy, check out using Reflectix water heater insulation. It is popular in the Honda Element community to get a roll of Reflectix and cut it (with scissors) into pieces a little larger than the windows and it "tucks" into the molding. Stops the drafts and made my Element around 10 degrees warmer.

I haven't tried doing this in a Jeep but would expect it would be doable. The pieces roll up pretty small when you're not using them and are very lightweight.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I'd thought I'd give an update on the trip! We left Thursday after work, around 3pm Central time. I-70 WB to KC. I-29 NB to Nebraska City, NE. As we were turning NB out of KC, my phone beeped, and I got a weather msg on my console: Blizzard Warning. WHAT???? Well, seems the weather had changed since I checked first thing in the morning! We stopped at around 9pm off of Hwy 2/I-29. Put up black plastic bags on windows. Got an air mattress for the rear seat. Sleeping bag. It was a bit cramped, but doable. I was zonked out! Woke up at 0330 and it had started blowing and snowing. At 0530, I checked radar, and was on the western edge of the storm; 50 miles to the west, Lincoln NE, was the line. I got up and drove into the 30 mph+ winds and snow...and got to Lincoln unscathed. The roads weren't bad..until I got INTO Lincoln, then they were yuck.

Got a rock ding on my windshield about an hour from Rawlins, WY. That turned into a crack..which later turned into a long crack. I had that Crystal Fusion stuff on the windshield, so we will see if they honor the warranty.

I decided to blow my saved-up points, and got a hotel for the next 2 nights, which both were pet friendly. I stayed in Rawlins, WY at the Holiday Inn Express (great place), and in Winnemucca, NV (it was nice, but loud neighbors).

I-80 was mostly newly built, so great drive other than the WIND on Friday! It was brutal. Saw a semitruck blow over in front of me Friday in Aurora, NE. Ended up going north route, and took US 95 north to Hwy 140 west. I got on Hwy 140, and didn't see another car for 40 minutes! Then it was 1 pickup, and not another for another 25 minutes until I stopped for gas.

Sounds so fun!

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Should be fun. I drove much of that route from Arizona this summer(not in my Jeep), and part of it from Boise to Bend then Mt Hood last January when I picked the Jeep up. My parents live on Mt. hood and had the JT up there just Last week. JT does awesome. First, this time of year, on those routes, you can easily get some crummy road conditions. AT tires are not the best on snow but mine did pretty well last year, though I was able to avoid Mt passes during snowstorms. YMMV. I put Nokian LT3 snow tires on last month, pretty much ideal for our glossy black ice, but better to wait for temps to climb if you run into ice anyway. Don’t underestimate the glossy black ice as you get into Oregon. As mentioned, carry chains, they are required even if you don’t use them. On ice, that will save your new truck, but don’t speed racer them or they will fail and maybe take a fender with them on the way out. Chains are like 25mph max if you use them. Don’t be tempted by those doing 35 passing With chains on. It doesn’t last.

you also are traveling some really desolate areas. Also as mentioned, fill up the tank every chance you get. 1/4 tank is too low In the desolate parts. Never go below a third tank and half tank is better. Carry food/water/blanket. Just be sensible and prepared. Dog will find its own place and routine quickly. Mine likes to alternate between the front seat and the back. Hotels during Covid can be tricky, and in the desolate areas often look better online than in person. Online reservations are great, but in the land of Covid, old fashioned calling can sometimes be a better option. Also in those areas, they can be like gas stations. Best to plan as best as you can. Not a lot of room to sleep in the back, but sleeping outside is COLD. You won’t find many others doing so and most campgrounds will be closed. A SPOT type device allows family to track you and can be both for safety and strangely fun to watch from afar.
I always thought the KO2 AT tire was great since it had the snow flake symbol. Obviously a tire like Nokian LT3 studded will destroy it but for those of us that can't run that due to where we live -- is the KO2 the next best thing for snow? I always thought MT's were better in deep snow but awful on highways in a blizzard compared to a M&S AT with proper pressure.

Ghostwave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 cj8
Sounds like a great trip. It’s been warm lately so we have really not had the cold and the snow. I’m actually dissappointed as I have been wanting to go have some snow fun. Plus the warm weather is eating my snow tires too much.

oh...and that little front that moved in, surprised us with its winds. Here was Deception Pass last wednesday....
https://komonews.com/news/local/mail-semi-nearly-blown-off-deception-pass-bridge-during-windstorm

Same storm, this was within a boat length of my boat, I’m lucky the breakwater held.

https://komonews.com/news/local/wind-storm-sinks-massive-concrete-dock-at-anacortes-shipyard

So you just never know what’s coming In the winter. Just know to be prepared and then hopefully be ready.

Ghostwave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 cj8
I’ve not run ko2, lots of people like them. The snowflake is better than not having the snowflake, but in the cold it really doesn’t mean they will be great. I have had snowflake tires that were really a disaster. Ice, glossy freezing rain is our kryptonite, not volume of snow and it really separates the meh from what works. My Nokians are not studded BTW, as during the week I drive on pavement and drive at least 200 miles every weekend. So I needed something that really worked, even without studs. I also don’t want to chain up if I can avoid it. I might have to drive 400 miles over one mountain pass and then up a mountain with zero notice, so I needed Something to make it happen when everyone else was able to stay home. So far so good.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve not run ko2, lots of people like them. The snowflake is better than not having the snowflake, but in the cold it really doesn’t mean they will be great. I have had snowflake tires that were really a disaster. Ice, glossy freezing rain is our kryptonite, not volume of snow and it really separates the meh from what works. My Nokians are not studded BTW, as during the week I drive on pavement and drive at least 200 miles every weekend. So I needed something that really worked, even without studs. I also don’t want to chain up if I can avoid it. I might have to drive 400 miles over one mountain pass and then up a mountain with zero notice, so I needed Something to make it happen when everyone else was able to stay home. So far so good.
Wow didn’t even know they came in non studded. I figure for my use case KO2’s seem like a good start.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Yallaen

Yallaen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Information Security
Vehicle Showcase
By the way, for insulation and privacy, check out using Reflectix water heater insulation. It is popular in the Honda Element community to get a roll of Reflectix and cut it (with scissors) into pieces a little larger than the windows and it "tucks" into the molding. Stops the drafts and made my Element around 10 degrees warmer.

I haven't tried doing this in a Jeep but would expect it would be doable. The pieces roll up pretty small when you're not using them and are very lightweight.
Wow, I never thought of that...I'll give it a shot. Those black plastic bags were just window covering only. I still have some points left to get a hotel or two ;)

OP
OP
Yallaen

Yallaen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Information Security
Vehicle Showcase
I bought 2 pair of chains from Amazon, and had plenty of food/water in case of bad issues. I made sure once in the mountain areas to top off at 1/2 tank. Funny thing was, I topped off in Winemucca, NV. I drove US 95 to Hwy 140. At Denio Junction, NV, there is a tiny little blip of a gas station. Met a couple nice gentleman, one strapping a Glock .40 cal Gen5 model. Very friendly; talked about my 9mm Gen 4 Glock, and the road up into OR. Gas was 3.59 at this station :(, but I was down to 3/4 tank and felt it best to just top off here. I could have gone to the next decent area and saved 1.00 a gallon, but prudence sometimes wins.

"Magnificent Desolation", as Neil Armstrong said, was par for the course on Hwy 140. Lots of nothing. But it was mesmerizing in it's stark beauty.

Return trip may be another way. But it's funny: I used Furkot.com to plan my trip. It has me leaving Medford, going south I-5 to another hwy, then SE over towards Reno, NV. Back on I-80 and then east to Winnemucca and stopping there first day. That's funny. I will have to see how tired I am, but I may want to push on that first day. But that's a month away ;)

OP
OP
Yallaen

Yallaen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Information Security
Vehicle Showcase
Just wanted to close out my trip thoughts...
The trip back was more "hurried" as I wanted to get home. I left Thursday around 11am from Oregon, as forecast was for rain all weekend, with snow in upper elevations. I took Hwy 140 east to Denion, NV, then Hwy 95 south to Winnemuca, NV, then I-80 over to Iowa, I 29 down to KC...then eventually I 70 back to St. Louis. I got home around 9pm Sat night.

I bought relectix for window blocking. Worked SO MUCH BETTER. But I cheated and grabbed hotels Fri night. I had snow in Wyoming and Utah. Roads were ok. Once I got into Nebraska the snow was chasing me and I beat it home. We got 8 inches on Sunday, so I'm glad I pushed and got home.

The back seat air mattress was ok, but a little cramped. If you are taller than 5'8, you'd be uncomfortable. I'm 5'8 and it was ok...

I slept in the front seat on way home. Just didn't want to mess with mattress. It was just as good, and I ran the engine when it got really cold. Next time, there will be a half-rack and roof tent.

The Bridgeton Dueler tires were awesome. Great ride, never had any traction issues. The chains never came out of the bags :)

I am considering a dynamic rope for recovery efforts (either myself or to help someone else).

Thanks all..I've included a couple pics of the trip. The pic of the truck on it's side. I checked weather all week before leaving. I was getting alerts when I hit KC Thu evening of blizzard warnings :( The snow started around 0330, and it was a couple inches when I decided to make a dash to the storm edge in Lincoln, NE. The entire day I drove against 35+ mph headwinds (steady), and 65+ gusts. I saw that empty cattle truck tip over in front of me and hit the exit. Had the entire westbound I-80 blocked in Aurora, NE at the overpass :( Driver appeared shaken up but fine as he was climbing out when I stopped.

20210114_132259.jpg

20210114_224059.jpg

20210115_071326.jpg

20210115_091213.jpg

20210115_150359.jpg

20210116_070826.jpg

20210116_074554.jpg

20210116_084705.jpg

20210116_111439.jpg

20210116_170014.jpg

20210117_070756.jpg

20210117_094933.jpg

Wyofuy069

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jt Mojave
Occupation
Sales
Your 5th picture looks like Vedauwoo. My backyard.

OP
OP
Yallaen

Yallaen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Information Security
Vehicle Showcase
Your 5th picture looks like Vedauwoo. My backyard.
That was somewhere between Adel, OR, and Lakeview, OR., I believe. Great scenery.
Sponsored