Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lets not forget folks that generally speaking a street tire is going to outperform a MT on sand. Simply because its going to ride higher. There are numerous youtube videos of people A / B ing MT vs AT and how they run over the same stretch of sand.

If the OP does mainly sand and road, he's better off with a less aggressive tire.
Sponsored

Rusty Shackleford

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Wrangler, Saab 9-3
Occupation
USAF
I'm seeing more and more Jeeps and trucks with the white letter tires again. I think I like it!
I have never done the white letter side out on any of my other vehicles. When buying the KO2’s for the Gladiator, the guy asked me if I wanted white side out. It took me about one second to think and I said definitely. I think it was a good call. It just looks right on a Jeep.
Jeep Gladiator Update on switching from M/T to an A/T results (Toyo Open Country III A/T -- 265/70/17) CF8B739B-305C-4E6D-A5AF-AD5E9F22548C

Rusty Shackleford

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Wrangler, Saab 9-3
Occupation
USAF
LOOKS LIKE ONLY GONNA DRIVE ON HIGHWAY...
Oh no! A motor vehicle in America being used as transportation on our extensive freeway system. What a tragedy. How will he ever make it out alive if he encounters some dirt with those All Terrain tires?

OP
OP
vital04

vital04

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willy
Occupation
SM
I have never done the white letter side out on any of my other vehicles. When buying the KO2’s for the Gladiator, the guy asked me if I wanted white side out. It took me about one second to think and I said definitely. I think it was a good call. It just looks right on a Jeep.
Jeep Gladiator Update on switching from M/T to an A/T results (Toyo Open Country III A/T -- 265/70/17) CF8B739B-305C-4E6D-A5AF-AD5E9F22548C
Nice looking jeep!

Cavitt

First Name
Cavitt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR; 1998 Mercedes SL600
I finally got my Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT's to replace my BFG KM3's this week. Not many miles on them so far, but I love the quite ride. Frankly, I don't think I'm going backwards in traction as these are very aggressive AT's. I got them for winter performance, but after a long wait I hope I don't test that for a while.

Good luck with you're new tires!

20230322_125356.jpg

Clayton 2.5 on 37's.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
vital04

vital04

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willy
Occupation
SM
I finally got my Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT's to replace my BFG KM3's this week. Not many miles on them so far, but I love the quite ride. Frankly, I don't think I'm going backwards in traction as these are very aggressive AT's. I got them for winter performance, but after a long wait I hope I don't test that for a while.

Jeep Gladiator Update on switching from M/T to an A/T results (Toyo Open Country III A/T -- 265/70/17) Clayton 2.5 on 37's

Jeep Gladiator Update on switching from M/T to an A/T results (Toyo Open Country III A/T -- 265/70/17) Clayton 2.5 on 37's
Thanks! Those are nice tires. I had them on the list and was battling b/f between a few brands. I like the rig setup looks great !

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon

What size are those Mickeys? I like!

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Cavitt

First Name
Cavitt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR; 1998 Mercedes SL600
Like a hybrid?
I wouldn't say hybrid, just a very aggressive AT (and they are severe weather rated). I’ve attached pics of the tread next to the KM3 MT. The tread spacing is definitely closer on the Mickey Thompson's, but not so much that I think they'll perform poorly in the mud. Visually, they look more aggressive than the KM3's (especially the sidewall). BTW, most of the online pics from the retailers and MT's own website don't do justice to how aggressive these tires look. I think they will be the perfect compromise for me. 95% of the time I don’t need a mud terrain tire, but half the year I need a winter tire.

The KM3’s did fine in the snow going forward, but lacked the lateral (turning) grip I needed in snow, ice, and negative temps. I took them snow wheeling and they performed really well. It was just the noise and lack of lateral grip in extreme winter conditions that made me change.

20230322_121756.jpg

Sponsored

Brucewillys

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep gladiator willys
Occupation
Merchandising
I have been thinking of switching from an M/t to an a/t for a while and went down a rabbit hole of trying to compare price to quality of tire. This forum gave so much great information about different tires to look at and setting some expectation on what to expect after the switch. I figured I would update on what I had, to what I bought, to what I am seeing so far..

My Gladiator came with 255/75/70 fire stone M/T's . What I noticed is they are loud but, drove comfortably to a degree. MY driving requirements recently changed, more high way, I off road mostly on sand or compact dirt not much deep mud.

I finally decided to go with the TOYO open country III A/t 265/70/17. Let me just say first wow what a difference. The tire looks great and feels great. The ride is much smoother and a lot more quite. I did not buy the Glad for MPG but, I already do see a jump in my in town MPG. I have not taken them off road but, based on the reviews and info I sure they are going to perform well ( will update with that info)

Over all I am very happy with the choice of the tire and switching from an M/t to a A/T for what I use the Gladiator for. For those that are thinking about making a switch let me know or feel free to ask me any questions.

I will edit and post some pics of the new tires.
Those toyo's are a good tire, that's for sure. I also switched from the firestone stock 32" MT's to 34" Nitto Trail grapplers (also MT) and I too noticed a huge difference. My Nittos have been so much better in the winter and the sound and ride are far improved. I'm not sure I want to ever go AT unless I stop offroading. Mainly because I've ridden with Rubicon gladiators on AT's that have struggled on things I went right through with my sport on MT's. But they looks good IMO and look grippy for AT's. Wish you many miles with them!

Jonathan G

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Rocket surgeon

Jeep Gladiator Update on switching from M/T to an A/T results (Toyo Open Country III A/T -- 265/70/17) tire

Jeep Gladiator Update on switching from M/T to an A/T results (Toyo Open Country III A/T -- 265/70/17) tire
What size tires and do you have a lift? Love how those shoes look!

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
I also went from the Firestone MT's to the Toyo AT3"s. Purchased a set of 35*11.5/17's from Discount Tire. What a difference on ride and drive. Though I did see about a 2mpg drop with the 35's, I still feel like it was worth the money.

For some reason, this pic makes your tires look way bigger than 11.5.. I really like your/wheel-tire combo...

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
Here are the pics

Nice tires, I prefer a black wall though, white letters look a little "racey" on the JT to me... plus I get to many 80's flashbacks... glad you found your groove though, nice job.
Sponsored