First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator High Altitude black/grey int
Occupation
Nurse Supervisor
Just wondering if anyone has upgraded their towing capacity. I have a '22 High Altitude with towing, so I'm aware of the 6K limit but is anyone aware of what would be necessary to to more? The HA has the wide axles and the larger radiator and alternator so I'm wondering if it might just be a suspension thing at this point. It's not a killer I got the truck I want and wouldn't trade it, I'd just go for a lighter RV. Thanks, Tim
Sponsored

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
Simple answer: just go for a lighter RV as you mentioned. No way to increase tow capacity.
Correction: No way to increase legal rated towing capacity.

Almost any mod at all will technically increase or decrease the actual towing capacity, but legally the only number that matters is the capacity listed on the sticker.

You could drop the complete driveline of a 1 ton Dodge truck in there, and the legal towing capacity would still be what you have now.

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Just wondering if anyone has upgraded their towing capacity. I have a '22 High Altitude with towing, so I'm aware of the 6K limit but is anyone aware of what would be necessary to to more? The HA has the wide axles and the larger radiator and alternator so I'm wondering if it might just be a suspension thing at this point. It's not a killer I got the truck I want and wouldn't trade it, I'd just go for a lighter RV. Thanks, Tim
Mods you do can change the “capability” of your vehicle to tow.

But nothing you do can change your legal towing capacity. When you exceed that all liability shifts to you if ANYTHING happens. Insurance, civil liability, criminal liability, warranties etc. In fact even RV warranties state if you exceed your legal capacities and something breaks even their warranty is void.

Thus why I bought a Sport S Max Tow. 7650 in towing and 1500 in payload. This makes it so I can tow below 80% capacity and still have a nice trailer.
Sponsored