US Forest Service may close Black Bear Pass

rickrogan

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I stumbled across a couple of articles that are likely of interest to this crowd

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/20...r-pass-the-most-dangerous-road-in-the-country

https://www.thedrive.com/news/43422...se-for-off-roaders-under-proposed-forest-plan

BLUF: a proposed forest management plan for the region may bring an end to motorized access to Black Bear Pass and many other nearby off-road trails.

This page provides a mechanism to give feedback

https://www.sharetrails.org/public-...l-forest/#/takeaction/invalid/letterGroupId/8

I've never been there (other then vicariously via YouTube, etc) but it's certainly a Bucket List trail for me. Would be a bummer if it was just flat-out closed.

(Apologies if I missed a place where this was already posted.)
Sponsored

cotnballs2000

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator Diesel
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer, past- USAF vehicle mechanic
"Corrected at 1:39 p.m. ET on 12/09/2021: This article previously stated that Black Bear Pass was at risk of closing due to proposed zoning changes in the GMUG National Forests. The Forest Service reached out to clarify that these potential plans will not close existing designated routes, adding that it’s allowable to have a motorized trail in a non-motorized setting. The article’s text and headline have been corrected, and The Drive regrets the error."

OP
OP

rickrogan

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
"Corrected at 1:39 p.m. ET on 12/09/2021: This article previously stated that Black Bear Pass was at risk of closing due to proposed zoning changes in the GMUG National Forests. The Forest Service reached out to clarify that these potential plans will not close existing designated routes, adding that it’s allowable to have a motorized trail in a non-motorized setting. The article’s text and headline have been corrected, and The Drive regrets the error."
Hilarious... updated literally an hour after I posted.

Interesting that this happens after The Drive picks this up (which has a pretty broad readership and was likely getting a lot of traffic today after Tesla did that thing putting video games in the front seat, lol).

An observant reader probably picked up the publication date of the Hemmings Motor News article was December 2. So the Forest Service clearly had time to remove ambiguous info.

Regardless... let's hope that "all's well that ends well".

cotnballs2000

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator Diesel
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer, past- USAF vehicle mechanic
Hilarious... updated literally an hour after I posted.

Interesting that this happens after The Drive picks this up (which has a pretty broad readership and was likely getting a lot of traffic today after Tesla did that thing putting video games in the front seat, lol).

An observant reader probably picked up the publication date of the Hemmings Motor News article was December 2. So the Forest Service clearly had time to remove ambiguous info.

Regardless... let's hope that "all's well that ends well".
I saw this on a Colorado Jeep page. A lot of the people in Telluride want the trails shutdown, its been going on for years. Ouray and Silverton fight them all the time with a lot of the Colorado 4x4 groups.

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I saw this on a Colorado Jeep page. A lot of the people in Telluride want the trails shutdown, its been going on for years. Ouray and Silverton fight them all the time with a lot of the Colorado 4x4 groups.
All those big ugly 4x4s dirtying their pristine streets?

Sponsored

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Yes under the blanket of "saving the environment" don't you know.
All those 10,000sqft lodges with snowcats, snowmobiles, ATVs, and big 4x4s do wonders for the environment.
Sponsored