Sponsored

Uwharrie Natl Forest closures. Dickey Bell badge.

JAVIERGONZO

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Navy
Just saw this from an Uwahrrie Facebook club. So if you're trying to get a Dickey Bell badge or anything. Might not get the chance soon as potential closures could happen. Tough loss for Mid Atlantic guys.

FB_IMG_1647446533239.jpg
Sponsored

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I'm not familiar with the trail, but it looks like they are proposing reroutes. Most of the time, that is due to frequent washouts or other damage. However, they publish the proposed list so that people can comment. I'm not sure who the proper commenting authority is with them, but I am sure the ranger's office could point you in that direction.

Speak up and let them know your concerns. I would be very surprised if they typically get even a dozen or more comments- good or bad- on a typical trail closure. If they think there is interest in keeping it open, they will put resources towards it.

Willpower1

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2021 Challenger Hellcat Widebody
Occupation
Physical Therapist
They must be seeing that damn bigfoot again…

cranbiz

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2017 WK2 Trailhawk, 2012 JK
Occupation
IT Analyst, Volunteer Firefighter
I know this is an old post but to update the Uwharrie info. Dickey Bell is open. There will eventually be some trail reroutes but it's in the future. Everything is currently open except for the permanently closed part of Rocky Mountain Loop that went up to Kodak Rock. The new Lakeview Trail is open. This is about a 3 mile trail that starts at The intersection of Wolf Den and the Art Lilley campground gravel road and ends in the Art Lilley campground. It has 3 obstacles which are off the main trail so they are optional. One is really difficult, one isn't all that difficult and one is really off camber, get the line wrong and you will be into a tree. The main trail isn't bad, it can be tight and if wet, it's a totally different trail with some pucker factor. I did it opening day when wet and had some serious pucker moments in my JK on 37's.

For mapping, I use Maprika which has a pretty good map. Cartotracks has the best map of Uwharrie but Maprika is good enough and free. Cartotracks also has Big Creek mapped and if you are lucky enough to go to an event where Big Creek is open, it's worth the visit. Other than that, Big Creek access can be rented for $500 a day with either a 10 or 20 vehicle limit (I forget which it is)
Sponsored