Sponsored

GPS mapping app for Uwharrie

361Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubi. 2006 Liberty. 2003 Ram 2500 CTD, and a couple of Hogs.
Hey all, not sure where to put this so I put it here. I'm heading to Uwharrie in a couple ofmweeks. It will be our first time there. Can anyone suggest a mapping app that will help me navigate my way around.

Also, any suggestions on what trails to hit would be cool. I'm going to look at Dickey Bell and maybe go for the badge.

Mostly stock JT Rubicon with 35s and a winch.
Thanks
Sponsored

Deadpool392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR, 2010 Rescue Green JKU
Uwharrie is nice, but is not very big. I don’t have an answer to your direct question, but the trails are mostly marked easily enough to navigate by maps that are available at the El Dorado outpost. I have been there many times in my JKU, but have not been yet in my JT. My JKU is lifted (3.5 is my best guess, bought it used and already lifted) on 37’s, it rolls easily on all the trails. The clay is slick and bad when it rains, but is no issue when dry. Are you primitive camping there or getting a campsite/cabin?

OP
OP
361Sean

361Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reply. We have a cabin reserved.

Looking to spend a couple days driving and then a day or 2 doing some hiking. Driving from NY.

Forum Crawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Working for the man every night and day
CartoTracks

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Disabled Military Retired
Maprika is a popular app in my club, and I just checked - I think they have the correct map uploaded for that area (maps are uploaded by users) but honestly my preferred way to go is just flipping Google Maps on my phone to satellite view so I can see the trees. water, buildings, etc. Has always worked pretty great.

Another option is "onX Offroad" but I haven't tried it myself, they seem to have a lot of money behind it though.

Sponsored

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave Sarge
Occupation
Gunsmith
As stated above, just stop at ElDorado Outpost before venturing out. There you will find a paper map that will get you around. I personally prefer paper maps when offroading. Also get the chicken biscuit while there. You may find some other Jeepers staged that you can ride with.

I wouldn't suggest driving Uwharrie solo if you plan on doing any trail that starts with a "D". The rest of the trails are pretty easy.

KevinC

Jcsii

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR / TJ / CJ5 / MB
Occupation
Elec Eng
As stated above, since you need a permit anyway, the trading post map is all you probably need.
Avensa worked pretty well on my last trip, I used the paid version so I could load the tracks for the trail.
I am trying Gaia since it works with CarPlay but you have to pay for some of the features.

OP
OP
361Sean

361Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the tips everyone. Eldorado outpost is right near the cabins so my plan was to stop there first anyway to take care of the permit. I will look for a map and a chicken biscuit too.:)

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
do you use android or apple?

Back country navigator pro is a very good solution for topo maps. - android only
Back country navigator XE - apple and android with more cloud stuff.
Avenza isn't bad either but it's more tricky to find map sources as it's pdf based. apple and android.
orux maps - android.

openandromaps is a good place for entire state maps with pretty good info, they offer vector based info which is small in size, the catch is only certain apps can import the map data for offline use.

in my opinion, dedicated gps units are going the way of the dinosaurs, any modern smart phone can do the same stuff with the same accuracy, the only thing the garmin type products offer is a all in one solution, from mapping data to how to use it, you are paying for the simplicity of their systems.

googling the place you want to go and adding gpx file to the search may also turn up tracks to follow.

welcome to gps navigation, there is lots of stuff out there, take your time and try different things until you find a combo you like and sources that work for you. You aren't going to figure it all out in one day, it's a process.

Jeepin' John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JT Sport S
Occupation
Structural Engineer
I was just there, using GAIA gps app.

You'll have a great time

3377AB07-969B-401F-A6DB-53A197AD0BF5.png

5A15258F-C344-47E6-8280-D90C6A41CFA6.jpeg

Sponsored

pcrawfordpt

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
PT
I use Gia GPS. Works really well and tons of online tutorials. 5 year discount memberships for around $100 available online thorough overlanding websites/Youtube. OnX Off-Road is similar to Gia and they are offering 6 month Elite memberships to Jeep Wave customers. Just sign up for their two week trail and email their customer service. They will extend it out to 6 months! I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it looks pretty good as well. Both allow you to download your maps so you do not need cellular data to use.