Sponsored

VR Evo 10s Wire Reroute - Should I? (DONE)

HereWeGo

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Just installed the Rock Hard Patriot bumper and winch. Maybe it's just my OCD, but I hate the three winch wires hanging out like that? I'd like to reposition them so they go down rather than to the side, so they're unseen. I believe there is enough room to route them down. Before I remove the bumper and winch, thought I should ask... Is the current wire routing normal? Should I let it go? Can I move them? Any down side?

Jeep Gladiator VR Evo 10s Wire Reroute - Should I?  (DONE) 20230107_150537
Jeep Gladiator VR Evo 10s Wire Reroute - Should I?  (DONE) 20230107_150529
Jeep Gladiator VR Evo 10s Wire Reroute - Should I?  (DONE) 20230107_150548
Sponsored

CookieSoup

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
im going to do a reroute in the spring im in the same boat didn't think it would bother me but it does

mdyucca

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Although most winches use the same mounting bolt pattern the winch dimensions can vary by manufacturer and/or winch model. I used the Warn winch plate with the factory steel bumper when installing my Smittybilt X20 10K winch. I had just enough room between the winch and grill to run the cables down and under the grill. It is a very tight fit.

When I installed the winch I did a minor modification that has helped when I have needed to pull the grill for other installations. Northridge did a youtube video ( vhttps://youtu.be/wXnxPlB3v34 ) on the modification. You might consider this while you are working in the area.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Although most winches use the same mounting bolt pattern the winch dimensions can vary by manufacturer and/or winch model. I used the Warn winch plate with the factory steel bumper when installing my Smittybilt X20 10K winch. I had just enough room between the winch and grill to run the cables down and under the grill. It is a very tight fit.

When I installed the winch I did a minor modification that has helped when I have needed to pull the grill for other installations. Northridge did a youtube video ( vhttps://youtu.be/wXnxPlB3v34 ) on the modification. You might consider this while you are working in the area.
I wish I had seen that last week. I replaced the winch on my wife’s JLR and then I installed the Amfib snorkel. I did not know I was supposed to remove the grill for the snorkel install. I was able to work it out without removing it completely, but this would have made it easier.

The cables do the same thing on my JTM and my wife’s JLR. It is not ideal, but really does not bother me. But I do wish I Had thought of wrapping the red cable in black or orange. I may have to that.

mdyucca

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Good call regarding the cable shielding. Due to the squeeze between the grill/winch and as added protection to prevent a major short the primary power cable can be wrapped with plastic conduit. I ran this added layer of insulation from the winch to the Warn power interruptor solenoid.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HereWeGo

HereWeGo

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Done! And it was easy!! I didn't have to remove the control box cover. Just loosened the wires where they connect back to the winch, rerouted one, and angled them down. Added the sheath while I was in there. Buttoned it back up. Took two hours (I'm slow). I appreciate the responses.

Thanks @mdyucca for the grill mod. I did that too!

Jeep Gladiator VR Evo 10s Wire Reroute - Should I?  (DONE) 20230108_113747
Jeep Gladiator VR Evo 10s Wire Reroute - Should I?  (DONE) 20230108_122848
Jeep Gladiator VR Evo 10s Wire Reroute - Should I?  (DONE) 20230108_122858

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Just installed the Rock Hard Patriot bumper and winch. Maybe it's just my OCD, but I hate the three winch wires hanging out like that? I'd like to reposition them so they go down rather than to the side, so they're unseen. I believe there is enough room to route them down. Before I remove the bumper and winch, thought I should ask... Is the current wire routing normal? Should I let it go? Can I move them? Any down side?

Is there an issue with running them through the grill and down? Which patriot bumper do you have? Full width? Or other? If full width any issues with tire rub at full flex? I have a Sport S Ecodiesel I'm looking at the Rock Hard full width with lowered winch. 2.5 AEV and possibly 35's

OP
OP
HereWeGo

HereWeGo

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is there an issue with running them through the grill and down? Which patriot bumper do you have? Full width? Or other? If full width any issues with tire rub at full flex? I have a Sport S Ecodiesel I'm looking at the Rock Hard full width with lowered winch. 2.5 AEV and possibly 35's
Those three wires go from the top control box to the back of the winch. See pix in previous post. There is plenty room to run the pos/neg wires under the grill and back up to the battery. I have the aluminum mid front.

mdyucca

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Done! And it was easy!! I didn't have to remove the control box cover. Just loosened the wires where they connect back to the winch, rerouted one, and angled them down. Added the sheath while I was in there. Buttoned it back up. Took two hours (I'm slow). I appreciate the responses.

Thanks @mdyucca for the grill mod. I did that too!

Looks good! đź‘Ť