Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if it's the same user that attempted to sell me OEM fenders for $400, again a price that's too good to be true. I did my transaction through PayPal so I had that layer of protection. Luckily I bailed on the deal and reported the user before I didn't any money.

Anytime you're buying anything online, if it smells fishy than it usually is.
That seems about right for OEM fender if they were take offs. I paid $125 for 2 front ones that were basically brand new. $400 for front and rears seems about the range.
Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
If you used Zelle then your pretty much screwed as far as getting your money back. They have a warning that says make sure your sending money to a legit person or something like that, it's part of the confirmation when you send it. Sucks but that's why PayPal is better to use. It sucks for sellers but for buyers your pretty much 100 percent guaranteed to get your money back.

Fropek

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU, 2022 Gobi JTR
That seems about right for OEM fender if they were take offs. I paid $125 for 2 front ones that were basically brand new. $400 for front and rears seems about the range.
Everything I've seen is $1000 or more. Please point me in the right direction

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Everything I've seen is $1000 or more. Please point me in the right direction
Have you looked on marketplace, Facebook, or anything like that. I regularly see them listed for under $500 for a whole set on there. If your willing to drive to get them, it's worth a look.

Last edited:

Sponsored

montechie

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Writer of code, designer of things
Wise words!
Human nature is to resist strong and complex passwords so it can be a struggle.
Amazing how I got push-back when I worked for the state and the central IT boys said "8 characters, combination of this, that and the other thing" and I had a woman come to MY office and start shouting at ME - all I did was forward the central IT message to our staff. Man, she was pissed.
I'll just add on the "protecting accounts" sub-discussion, as a 20+ year software engineer in the fintech and healthcare space, use a password manager (Bitwarden, 1Password, not a Post-It :)) and generate strong, unique passwords (passphrases ftw) for every account. Most security exploits have happened because of human behavior (reused, weak, written down, or shared passwords etc), not a software/network weakness. Your email+password gets compromised on Site A because you used some easy to remember combo, then gets tried on other sites. Without going into the theory of high and low entropy passwords, use a generator that can generate a passphrase of 4+ words with spaces. It's highly secure (must be randomly generated!), easier to type in, and easier to memorize if you can't use a password manager. This should be done before even MFA which can be super easy to exploit if it's the SMS kind. Don't use mnemonic schemes (aka p455w0r6, etc.), most are already available in a script-kiddie toolkit.

OP
OP

JeepTK

First Name
TK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Pilot
I don't think they are asking that an admin turn over IP information - but to look at and analyze said information to see if there was a sudden change in the pattern of IP vs posts.
Can be really tricky in the days of cell data - my IP address says I'm posting from WI, then from IL, then from SD, and it looks like I'm all over the country - but there should be patterns a good admin can recognize.
If the IPs are pretty much from one group or from one provider, then all of a sudden appear to come from another provider in another place........ there's a flag - maybe not red, but not far from it.
There's no need for an admin to turn anything over - just LOOK.
I've done that - and even here, I've done research on phone numbers and other stuff and found people who have contact me have a history. Last one who said they had the dash cubby pad would have looked legit except for the low posts - and when I ran their phone number, it showed up like the Christmas tree at Times Square. A person can search email addresses, too - or run them through forum spammer lists. It's free.
If someone tries to join the forum I admin and their email address shows up in a list - the forum software automatically blocks them from joining (at least using that IP address) and similar for IP addresses - although VPN can get around that....... it at least filters out the dummies who aren't smart enough to cover tracks or try to hide under some blanket.
yes, this is correct, Iā€™m just looking to get adminā€˜s to look at data and see if they see anything they can take action onā€¦or point me in a direction to help me recover the money.

OP
OP

JeepTK

First Name
TK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Pilot
Thank you all for the insights, advice, and opinions on things. Iā€™ve read through all the responses so far and there is some good stuff in there. Iā€™m not giving up, but it sure is hard to pursue this small amount of money given all the other things Iā€™m putting my energy into. I hate to let it drop simply for the reason of morality so Iā€™ll work on it as I can.
I need to take some more time to re-read some of these posts as there is some technical jargon Iā€™m unfamiliar with, but good stuff!

I did write to Admins, but no response yet.

Iā€™ve learned a couple good lessons from all thisā€¦how to pay over the web and that the fees are just the price paid for security and that I need to pay attention to my instincts and not get emotionally involved in the sale of something (I know there will always be more).

Also, in no way was I suggesting that violence was a direction I wanted to take. I just want those that are doing dishonest stuff to others to face consequences of their actions in the form of some accountability (other than violence).

Maybe Santa will put a set of those LP6ā€™s under the tree and Iā€™ll just let it go at that point!

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Back in the early days of Ebay I bought something from a guy in NJ (I'm Southern VA).
Best I can recall it was less than $100.
Back then you mailed the seller a check or money order, and then they mailed you the goods.
After him having the money for about ten days and not shipping or replying to my emails, I'd had enough. I emailed him and reminded him that I had his name and his address, and that being a person of high standards and principles, I was willing and able to drive to NJ and either get my money, the item, or a pound of flesh.
I miss the first couple of year of Ebay in how they ran things. It was the Wild West back then.

I had a similar experience with a seller and was $70 into an item the seller was not responding with info on when it would ship. Reversed looked up the address and got a house phone number and called it. Older man picked up who would turn out to be the father of a teenage kid that ran the seller account and had a polite but terse conversation of what was happening and next thing I heard was the father screaming at his kid to get downstairs and then verbally got into his ass to get my item or money back to me ASAP. Father apologized and I had my item 3 days later.

As to the OP's problem, I really think he is hosed and out that money unless there is some remote possible way to get the Zelle payment reversed which I doubt. Regardless of any Federal laws or even state laws if applicable, $500 is not going get anybody to move the needle to help him. Only way to get some help is to show it is part of a stacking pattern by one person and others out of like amounts.
Sponsored