Sponsored

Want to mount bike rack on bed rail without crossbars. Ideas please?

OP
OP

midcont

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Hey I know that picture, that's my truck. Those 90 degree brackets are designed for use with the tonneau cover. I take mine through the car wash and not a whole lot of water gets in. The factory cover still rolls up with these brackets and crossbars installed. If you need to remove the cross bars its a matter of removing 4 bolts.

I would love to see a design were a hinge is added to one side of these brackets and gas struts added to the other, so you can tilt the entire system out of the way for easier loading.
Yes, the reason I posted your pics was to explore the idea of a bracket of that type of design to support a bike above the side of the bed, or just over it (on the outside of the truck). Either holding the bike between those two points or holding a bike rack like the 1UP, all while still being able to use a tonneau cover.
I don't want to use rails over the bed. There are several other threads for people looking for that though.
Sponsored

Dreaded1

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Those brackets are pretty sturdy when attached to the trail rail system, or the DIY rail system I installed. I suppose that if you cut off the vertical section, where the cross bars would mount, and weld a plate on to extend to flat surface. You would be able to drill some holes in the extension and mount what ever tray system you wanted on there.

OP
OP

midcont

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Those brackets are pretty sturdy when attached to the trail rail system, or the DIY rail system I installed. I suppose that if you cut off the vertical section, where the cross bars would mount, and weld a plate on to extend to flat surface. You would be able to drill some holes in the extension and mount what ever tray system you wanted on there.
That's what I would have thought also, and reached out to two fabricators on the forum including Eight 13, but it was explained to me that the bed rail has so much flex to it that the bike would be unstable.

OP
OP

midcont

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I have also designed 3 different mounts so far to try and accomplish this. The bed is way too flexible. I have a few more ideas, I'm not going to stop trying yet!
What about one of these 90 degree bends with a 1UP mounted to it and a bungee cord around the frame to the trailrails/unistrut to keep it from swaying? Even if the bed flexes the bike should move as one with it.

Sponsored

813 Fabrication & Design

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.813fabrication.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
What about one of these 90 degree bends with a 1UP mounted to it and a bungee cord around the frame to the trailrails/unistrut to keep it from swaying? Even if the bed flexes the bike should move as one with it.
Unless it is bracing to another part of the bed I think it will be too much movement. The first one I made was 3/16 steel, I thought it would be plenty strong but once even my carbon road bike was on it it moved the bed sides so much I would not have driven the truck that way.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I've also been searching for a solution to this. I ended up doing some diy crossbars out of unistrut and mounting the bike trays off of my RockyMounts Monorail and it worked very well fwiw. I'd love to have the bikes mounted further outboard and open up the middle of the bed though. Maybe one of the right angle mounts paired with some sort of bed stiffener?

Motoarch

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Occupation
Architect

exfil offroad

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator-Willys /18 Wrangler JLU-Rubicon
I would like to mount a mountain bike with both wheels attached to the bed rail. Don’t want cross bars and may eventually get a tonneau so that would have to factor in. If the brackets are mounted to the top are flat and the bike was a few inches off the side of the truck (in order to allow a tonneau to sit flat), that could work also.
I’ve been looking through threads for ideas and everything seems to be mounted to a bed rack, which I also don’t want to do.
Short of finding somebody to design and fab something custom, wanted to see if anybody can point me towards an existing solution.
I’ll have to figure out a bike rack to mount also, so advice there would also be appreciated. Thinking this 1up would work. Any way this could bolt directly to the bed rail? /https://www.1up-usa.com/product/roof-rack/ I don’t have the truck yet.
a good idea would be dont do it. Nothing is going to hold that edge and not rip off.
Sponsored