First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overlander
Occupation
Nomad
I've got a 2021 diesel Gladiator. Did the first Jeep Wave service at 5000-6000 miles. I am currentky vacationing in Colorado at 8000 miles on the odometer pulling a light trailer RV (only 4500 loaded). Anyway, this morning I got the regularly scheduled email from Jeep saying my Jeep is perfect... no issues. Woo-hoo!

Then I got another email this afternoon saying: "Your vehicle's Charging System Warning Light recently indicated there may be a problem with the electrical charging system. Have your vehicle serviced at your dealership immediately."

Bummer. So at the RV park I just went out and started it up. Voltage showed 12.4V after starting it (like normal for me) and it climbed to 12.6V within a minute. No warning lights or icons anywhere. I called a couple dealerships within a few hours. They can get me in within two to three weeks. Not helpful. But both said those emails are too twitchy and if I don't have any dash warning light, just monitor the voltage for a while and see if it ranges from 12.3-14V and if there's no dash light... just ignore the email.

Okay I guess. But does this mean my odds of getting stranded in the middle of nowhere with no cell service just went up by 10%? Or are the rest of you folks sometimes getting warning emails over temporary startup self test glitches out of tolerance? One service tech I called said the tests are sometimes not out of tolerance enough to get a dash warning light, but just out of tolerance enough to generate the warning emails with the new Gladiators.
Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
What e-mails?
Is there some service you sign up for?

Kevin

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
buy a cheap lithium jump box and a voltage multi meter as insurance and for the next few days when driving keep the on dash voltage meter up and monitor it. Range should be 13.7 to 14.7 volts when running. With car off, resting battery voltage should be around 12.6.

if your battery voltage at rest is less then 12.3 take the batteries to a auto parts place for testing.

If your charging voltage doesn't rise above 13.3, the alternator could be bad. Again a parts store like AutoZone may have the ability to test the alternator while in the vehicle.

OP
OP

DBT

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overlander
Occupation
Nomad
What e-mails?
Is there some service you sign up for?

Kevin
Yup, I downloaded all the apps for the Gladiator when I bought it. My Jeep. My Mopar. After that I started getting regular emails showing tire pressure, DEF remaining, oil service remaining, and the results of a 15 systems check.

OP
OP

DBT

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overlander
Occupation
Nomad
buy a cheap lithium jump box and a voltage multi meter as insurance and for the next few days when driving keep the on dash voltage meter up and monitor it. Range should be 13.7 to 14.7 volts when running. With car off, resting battery voltage should be around 12.6.

if your battery voltage at rest is less then 12.3 take the batteries to a auto parts place for testing.

If your charging voltage doesn't rise above 13.3, the alternator could be bad. Again a parts store like AutoZone may have the ability to test the alternator while in the vehicle.
Have a jump box as described, and will do what you said. I gather you've not gotten one of those warning emails?

Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have the 8.4” infotainment screen?

Kevin

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK.
It’s a feature available only with the 8.4” screen.

Kevin

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
no warning at 2k miles working good, i have the simple 7" screen with less mother ship connections.

OP
OP

DBT

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overlander
Occupation
Nomad
no warning at 2k miles working good, i have the simple 7" screen with less mother ship connections.
My batteries when running have never stayed in the 13.7-14.7V range. More 12.4-12.6 right after a start... and thereafter 12.8-14.0V. Maybe I have a bad cell in the main battery, but they checked the batteries with my first Jeep Wave service and said it was within spec. Sounds like mine may not live the normal two year battery lifetime. Or the juice going out the 7pin to the trailer is confusing the system.

Sponsored

Mojave Gladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave | Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
For what it’s worth, telematics can do some odd things… I monitor a large fleet of vehicles that randomly throw ghost codes. I’m not saying you don’t have a potential issue; however, I would carry a jump pack and keep an eye on the situation.

Reactions: DBT
OP
OP

DBT

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overlander
Occupation
Nomad
Well I've had Audis and BMWs back when I was working with tons of overtime... those things threw codes ALL the time, and you just got in the habit of pulling a fuse or disconnecting the battery, and poof... that particular problem would never come back.

I may get in the habit of starting the Jeep, and then afterwards plugging in the trailer in case there's some draw down that Jeep's telematics think are squirrely. I carry a Tacklife jump pack already, and will see if I stay in my normal diving voltage range over the next week or two.

Although.... if everybody besides me sees 13.7-14.7V when running, I'll probably just replace the main battery, even if my dealership said it was fine. Peace of mind, and less emails from Jeep.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I've had my Overland for two years. Since the beginning, the monthly report would show a problem with the air bag system about every three months. This month it showed problems with the air bags and TPMS. I've never had problems with any of the monitored systems. Unless you get a warning on the dash, I would not worry about it.

Reactions: DBT
OP
OP

DBT

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overlander
Occupation
Nomad
I've had my Overland for two years. Since the beginning, the monthly report would show a problem with the air bag system about every three months. This month it showed problems with the air bags and TPMS. I've never had problems with any of the monitored systems. Unless you get a warning on the dash, I would not worry about it.
Thanks. I once let the battery run down by parking it in the garage in neutral. In the morning the dome light wouldn't even come on. I used a better than average smart charger and it was back to normal by the end of the day. I've heard that one excessive discharge can be fixed by immediately getting it back to full strength with only a slight shortening of lifespan. And that's when I had the dealership test it and they said it was fine. But my dough-headed mistake might now be showing up. Or like you say, it could be nothing.

OP
OP

DBT

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overlander
Occupation
Nomad
Well I just changed the main top battery ($238.74). Sitting idling at the Jeep dealership it reads 12.7V. It could also be the starting battery, but I'd have to break out the manual to see where that's at... so I did the first easy step with my limited skills to see if anything changes. And again given I sometimes see 14V+, I lean towards thinking the alternator / charger circuit is okay... mebbe.

[EDIT] Went for a half hour highway drive after leaving dealership. Started at 13.0V and ended up at 13.1V. Fingers crossed it continues to rise to whatever is normal.
Sponsored

Last edited: