Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Urethane takes a lot of flex to cause it trouble. It does "set up" but not hard.
It's still flexible years later. I've used urethane to set door windows in their "shoes" or holders, and used it (and butyl) with windshields.
It's a beast to cut once cured in part because it's not a solid object.

My top doesn't flex - it should not flex. The body doesn't flex, the frame does and the body is mounted on rubber hydraulic mounts.
I've had the top off and on multiple times, can never see where it gives at all. When setting it back down in place, there's no flex to it. Even trying to lift up one corner results in the other side lifting as well.
If there were to be any flex at all - urethane would absorb it. No way that top flexes enough to break a seal. (unless you have some troubles.
Then do you have an explanation for a leak after a year then replace the rear window and all good for a year and half and now leak returns?
Sponsored

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Then do you have an explanation for a leak after a year then replace the rear window and all good for a year and half and now leak returns?
I do. It's a crappy design. Caught my leak today. Won't be getting a new window. I'd rather fix the problem honestly than risk an 18 year old stoned kid screwing up my truck "fixing" it. Took some vids:

Took the back interior panel off. Broke 2 clips. They'll be rattling inside the hardtop forever now unless I can figure a way to fish them out. Oh well. Anyway, used a spray bottle and learned some things.

Watch these:

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Where the drops appear is not necessarily the "source" of the leak. The channel just fills up.

I am going to use self leveling RV sealant along the entire exterior window "seal" and see if that wraps it up.

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
I do. It's a crappy design. Caught my leak today. Won't be getting a new window. I'd rather fix the problem honestly than risk an 18 year old stoned kid screwing up my truck "fixing" it. Took some vids:

Took the back interior panel off. Broke 2 clips. They'll be rattling inside the hardtop forever now unless I can figure a way to fish them out. Oh well. Anyway, used a spray bottle and learned some things.

Watch these:

Add me to the list. Been raining here alot lately. On the way to Costco, at a stop light, i heard a loud pop/crack type noise from the rear. Came home inspect and found water leaks right above the rear sliding window. I think it flex or contract at a different rate causing the seal to separate.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, neither. I've had crappy luck with "silicone" products for that type of use. After a while, it loosens and peals.
Their silicone may be different - I haven't used it, but sealants with that word have never worked well for me.

Self-leveling means sort of runny. It usually means that if on a horizontal surface, a high spot will level out. In fact, it says right on it "for use on horizontal surfaces" so make sure it can't sag or run out where you don't want it.

Can you use urethane where you are talking about? Guarantee it will stick, but flex, and never let loose.

Just my opinions.

Too bad a body seam sealer wouldn't work there - like I use putting body panels against each other.
Sponsored