hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow Pkg
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
Overlanding around the world is pretty amazing. If you'd really like to get a taste of interior Mexico, this video shows what it is like.

Santa Maria del Rio is one of the 132 "Magic Towns" or Pueblo Magico of Mexico. We spent two days in the city. The first getting to know the city, and the second celebrating Dia de los Muertos. Both are captured in this short video.

Hope you enjoy and feel free to ask any questions. ~ Eric

OP
OP
HourlessLife

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
Overland Expo is doing a series called "Why We Roam" and they asked us to be part of it. This is just a teaser of a longer video that will be available on November 12. But it in we talk about why we chose to travel full-time and a little bit about our story.

Hope you enjoy the teaser and let me know if you have any questions. ~ Eric

OP
OP
HourlessLife

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
Just a heads up to our Hourless Life community:

While we normally answer every comment fairly quickly, we may be radio silent between November 10-14 as we'll be heading deep into the interior of Mexico to an otherworldly oasis looking place called La Huasteca. Google it and be amazed. From what we understand there is extremely limited connectivity out there. So didn't want you to think we fell off the map, though we're trying.

For those who might be on our Patreon, I just posted tonight all of the details about our trip, so check that out.

Anyway, we're ready to head out to the next adventure on this global journey, and we're glad you are all here with us.

If you follow us on IG or FB and you don't hear from us by the 15th...send the cavalry. The road out to La Huasteca from SLP is supposed to be fairly dangerous because of all the twists and turns through the mountains to get there.

But if all goes well, we'll have quite the experience in La Huasteca and end up in Guanajuato, Mexico on the 15th. Which, by the way, is a UNESCO World Heritage city.

We're all ready to go and start the next part of our global journey and if you are reading this, we're so glad that you are with us for the ride!

~ Eric + Brittany + Caspian Highland | Hourless Life
Love. Explore. Study. Share.

OP
OP
HourlessLife

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
Well, we did it! We made it to La Huasteca Potosina, essentially a tropical paradise deep in the interior of Mexico. We got 5 hours of footage so we are breaking up the video into several parts as we feel it is worth showing. This little video shows an area called Aldea Huasteca. Wait until you see where we camped and how much we paid.

Hit me up with any questions if you have any. ~ Eric

Sponsored

OP
OP
HourlessLife

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
I don't normally make public posts on our Patreon but I think this is something worth showing publicly as it is often overlooked in the full-time overlanding life. Feel free to read or just look at the photos, but if you are really curious about the drawbacks of overlanding full-time here is one major one.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/58932780

OP
OP
HourlessLife

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
HourlessLife

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
We are currently overlanding through Mexico during our global overlanding adventure.

Last week, we introduced you to the La Huasteca Potosina region of Mexico. In this week's episode, we take you deeper into La Huasteca to show you some of the most amazing things we've ever seen in Mexico, including:

-A wild animal sanctuary
-Our favorite paid campground we've ever stayed at
-An insane drive through a mountaintop city
-A journey through the surrealist gardens of Sir Edward James
-Much more!

We hope you enjoy watching this video about La Huasteca. It is an amazing place and we can't encourage you highly enough to visit. If you have any questions, please ask! Happy to be a resource for anyone coming into Mexico. ~ Eric

Mvitch

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Financial Advisor
We are an American family of 3 driving around the world in a Jeep Gladiator we call DAUNTLESS.

(Original post title and this post edited to reflect our current journey)

We have been traveling full-time (owning no home or property) since February 2014, and our son Caspian joined the mix in December 2016. He's been a full-time traveler since birth.

This is my first post in the Jeep Gladiator forums, though I've been reading a ton of posts here for what feels like years.

On May 31, 2021 we picked up our stock Jeep Gladiator Sport S (with Max Tow) and on July 21, 2021 45 days later the rig was "finished" and I put that in quotes because you know what I mean.

On October 9, 2021 we started our global overland journey. I will update this thread with videos from our journey and I'm available to answer questions. I check this thread regularly.

Meet our Gladiator DAUNTLESS:

Jeep-Gladiator-Overland-Build-Suspension.png

We did an entire build series on YouTube if anyone is really that interested. You can find the build series here.

The general plan is Mexico, Central America, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, and finally Australia. We anticipate the journey will take 10-15 years.

Here is the first video in our global journey. It was from the day we crossed into Mexico and subsequent travel days:

Crossing The Border Into Mexico

If you'd like to get to know us, you can find us on all the socials at HourlessLife.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and hope to get to know some folks here.

Eric + Brittany + Caspian Highland
Hourless Life
We’d like to add that camper to our stock Mojave but fear it’s too heavy and I don’t want to ruin my wonderful Mojave highway ride.!

Sponsored

OP
OP
HourlessLife

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
We’d like to add that camper to our stock Mojave but fear it’s too heavy and I don’t want to ruin my wonderful Mojave highway ride.!
The camper should be fine on a Mojave. But because of the limited payload, I'd use caution in how you outfit the inside and what you carry. Recommend starting with a spreadsheet. Put your payload capacity at the top and then start subtracting from that payload with everything going inside the vehicle beginning with occupants. It will give you a good idea of what you can safely run! ~ Eric

OP
OP
HourlessLife

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
Just when you thought overlanding through Mexico's interior couldn't get any more amazing. Wait until you see this.

We've now been in Mexico on three separate overlanding trips over the past three years.

This city of Guanajuato is probably our favorite city yet. It is a UNESCO World Heritage City and it is mind blowing!

In this video we take you on a day in the life with us. From the moment we wake up until we call it a night.

The first part of the video is during the day, and the second at night. They couldn't be more different. It is like 2 different cities in one. I really hope you take a moment to watch this. I think if you do, it will convince you to head south of the border and give Mexico a try if you haven't already.

Any questions at all please don't hesitate to ask. ~ Eric

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
I am amazed OP has not been kidnapped or worse yet. I would never in a million years bring my kid into Mexico, especially with an expensive truck that draws attention. More power to OP though. I don't have that risk tolerance.

OP
OP
HourlessLife

HourlessLife

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hourlesslife.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Full-time overlander
Vehicle Showcase
I am amazed OP has not been kidnapped or worse yet. I would never in a million years bring my kid into Mexico, especially with an expensive truck that draws attention. More power to OP though. I don't have that risk tolerance.
Interesting comment.

Not trying to be argumentative, rather trying to understand your position.

Why would you assume the worst about the people of Mexico? What information is your comment based on?

Has it been your first hand experience that you've had a negative experience in Mexico? Are you basing this on what you've heard in the news and on social media about the country? Or are you basing this on a story that you heard from someone who had something happen to them first hand?

I'm really curious, because we get these types of comments all the time, and most folks, when asked just say that "they've heard" terrible things and it has caused them to be afraid of making this journey.

I can tell you that this is our third overlanding trip in to Mexico in three years. In 2019 when our son was 2 we did 2000+ miles into the interior of Mexico. In early 2020 before COVID was a thing and my son was 3 years old we did 2000+ miles covering the entirety of the Baja Peninsula. Now in 2021 we're about 2000 miles into interior Mexico again.

Not once throughout all of Mexico have we felt that our security or safety were in question on any of those trips in over 6000 miles through the country.

Actually what we've found is that the people here are kind, beyond hospitable and incredibly humble. That's been our first hand experience. Many of our friends have reached out and expressed concern but they are always the ones who haven't done the journey, or "never in a million years" would do it.

Whenever we talk to folks that have actually made the journey, they all echo our thoughts and experience.

Unfortunately I feel that mass media, social media and the like love to share stories that get them views. A kidnapping, car jacking, or murder will always get more views than a walk through a Mercado. It's sadly the way our consumption of media has gone. The horrific story of Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie was all over the media and they sadly got more than their 15 minutes of fame. Right?

But most people have never heard of Dan Grec, Richard and Ashley Giordano, Scott Brady, or Graeme and Luisa Bell. These are folks who have overlanded vast sections of the planet. At least one of them has overlanded on every continent including Antarctica.

Why is it we don't hear these stories and people aren't familiar with them?

Honestly because they aren't sensational enough for mainstream media.

Bottom line, you know a little of our story because you ran across one of my posts on a forum. But very few people know who we are or what we're doing. Because our story isn't picked up by any major outlets. But believe me, if something horrific were to happen to us and we got car jacked, kidnapped or worse, we (just like Gabby and Brian) would get our "15 minutes of fame" and millions of people would hear our story. The folks who said, I told you they shouldn't have gone would be right and I probably wouldn't be around to hear about it.

But the reality is that we could complete our drive around the world in 10-15 years, and unless you follow us on YouTube, Patreon, Instagram, Facebook etc, or heard us speak at an event like Overland Expo you'd never even know we existed.

Unfortunately this is the way of the world.

Anyway, I hope you take this in the heart it was intended, My point is that if you really want to know what it is like to be down here, ask folks like us who are doing it and take with a grain of salt the stories you hear from news outlets and other second hand information.

I'm really glad you posted, because my hope is to at least provide something to think on for those that would have grave concerns about doing so.

Appreciate your "more power to the OP" comment. I know that your intention was not to blast us, and my response was not intended to blast you either. Just to give perspective.

Appreciate you reading if you read this far.

All the best from Guanajuato, Mexico. ~ Eric

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Interesting comment.

Not trying to be argumentative, rather trying to understand your position.

Why would you assume the worst about the people of Mexico? What information is your comment based on?

Has it been your first hand experience that you've had a negative experience in Mexico? Are you basing this on what you've heard in the news and on social media about the country? Or are you basing this on a story that you heard from someone who had something happen to them first hand?

I'm really curious, because we get these types of comments all the time, and most folks, when asked just say that "they've heard" terrible things and it has caused them to be afraid of making this journey.

I can tell you that this is our third overlanding trip in to Mexico in three years. In 2019 when our son was 2 we did 2000+ miles into the interior of Mexico. In early 2020 before COVID was a thing and my son was 3 years old we did 2000+ miles covering the entirety of the Baja Peninsula. Now in 2021 we're about 2000 miles into interior Mexico again.

Not once throughout all of Mexico have we felt that our security or safety were in question on any of those trips in over 6000 miles through the country.

Actually what we've found is that the people here are kind, beyond hospitable and incredibly humble. That's been our first hand experience. Many of our friends have reached out and expressed concern but they are always the ones who haven't done the journey, or "never in a million years" would do it.

Whenever we talk to folks that have actually made the journey, they all echo our thoughts and experience.

Unfortunately I feel that mass media, social media and the like love to share stories that get them views. A kidnapping, car jacking, or murder will always get more views than a walk through a Mercado. It's sadly the way our consumption of media has gone. The horrific story of Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie was all over the media and they sadly got more than their 15 minutes of fame. Right?

But most people have never heard of Dan Grec, Richard and Ashley Giordano, Scott Brady, or Graeme and Luisa Bell. These are folks who have overlanded vast sections of the planet. At least one of them has overlanded on every continent including Antarctica.

Why is it we don't hear these stories and people aren't familiar with them?

Honestly because they aren't sensational enough for mainstream media.

Bottom line, you know a little of our story because you ran across one of my posts on a forum. But very few people know who we are or what we're doing. Because our story isn't picked up by any major outlets. But believe me, if something horrific were to happen to us and we got car jacked, kidnapped or worse, we (just like Gabby and Brian) would get our "15 minutes of fame" and millions of people would hear our story. The folks who said, I told you they shouldn't have gone would be right and I probably wouldn't be around to hear about it.

But the reality is that we could complete our drive around the world in 10-15 years, and unless you follow us on YouTube, Patreon, Instagram, Facebook etc, or heard us speak at an event like Overland Expo you'd never even know we existed.

Unfortunately this is the way of the world.

Anyway, I hope you take this in the heart it was intended, My point is that if you really want to know what it is like to be down here, ask folks like us who are doing it and take with a grain of salt the stories you hear from news outlets and other second hand information.

I'm really glad you posted, because my hope is to at least provide something to think on for those that would have grave concerns about doing so.

Appreciate your "more power to the OP" comment. I know that your intention was not to blast us, and my response was not intended to blast you either. Just to give perspective.

Appreciate you reading if you read this far.

All the best from Guanajuato, Mexico. ~ Eric
No problem.

My best friend was hit at a resort by stray machine gun fire and died 6 years ago. This was Mexico City. The police took a report and said it was too dangerous to go after the people shooting.

My Dad and I were shaken down in Baja by the Federal police for *nothing*. They told us for $200 they'd ' forget about it '.

I can go on and on, but nah. I grew up in the 70s and 80s going to San Felipe 4 or 5 times per year. We had a 99 year lease on a beachfront property 7 miles south in Campo Cadena.

Point is my opinions are grounded in personal experience. Sorry to get grim but hey you asked.

It isnt the people that are the problem, it's the corrupt law enforcement and cartels.
Sponsored