Weight Distribution Hitches

DiscoSlug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator; '74 PowerWagon; '86 Taco C-frame
Occupation
Drugs
I thought weight distribution hitches distributed weight to the front axle, aren't these anti sway hitches? Can someone educate me?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I thought weight distribution hitches distributed weight to the front axle, aren't these anti sway hitches? Can someone educate me?
They can be combined but a pure weight distribution hitch doesn't have sway control or "anti-sway". I had one for my camper several years ago what had provisions for both - there was the friction pad sway control that was attached to the weight distribution hitch. And when I had my first flatbed trailer for hauling tractors and cars, it had only weight distribution and was crazy heavy - no sway control.
They can be only weight distribution hitches (WDH) or have both, or an attachment for added sway control or "anti-sway".
WDH do spread the load a bit forward, but don't look at them as a way to cheat the tongue weight or rear axle weight.

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
I did a lot of research and went with an Anderson no sway weight distribution hitch. It works great with my roughly 3,000lb travel trailer. This hitch will get back all the droop from tongue weight although I also put in air bags and split raising the droop between the hitch and air bags.

I've tested the hitch going down the freeway and rapidly turning the steering wheel simulating an emergency and the truck and trailer behave really well.

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
I run the centerline with my camper. It’s loud, have to unhook the bars to back up weighs like 50 lbs. but it works well.

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
I have the BlueOx WDH/antisway unit and it works very well.

I do not have to disconnect when backing up either.

It was recommended to me by the dealership where I bought my trailer. The sales person and one of the mechanics recommended it as they use it themselves, personally, for their towing needs. A personal endorsement carries a lot of weight with me. And, it was NOT the most expensive setup that they sell so...
Sponsored