First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
My wife has now said that she wants a JL instead of the JT. She wants a lift and 35s. With Max Tow on a JT, I can get D44 axles and 4.10 gearing with the options I want for a sticker price of $46k. The gearing on a JL is 3.45 and I'm not sure what axles they come with. To get the JLR, we're talking a sticker of $55k. Please don't tell me that the JL Sport axles are D35 and D30. If so, I need to have a talk with the Mrs about reconsidering. I want the JT anyway.
Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
The Advantek versions of the D30 / D35 on the JL are quite a lot stronger than the JK's axles and should be OK with 35's. The gear ratio, though - OUCH!

EVERY JT comes with D44's. Just sayin'. Maybe entice her with the notion of 37's?

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Not trying to dissuade you from getting what you really want, but a JLUR which is equipped comparatively to a JT Sport Max Tow should not drive the price to $55k. My JTR was $45k before tax. You should be able to get a JLUR for a dollar or two less.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Crusader

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
Not trying to dissuade you from getting what you really want, but a JLUR which is equipped comparatively to a JT Sport Max Tow should not drive the price to $55k. My JTR was $45k before tax. You should be able to get a JLUR for a dollar or two less.
I'm trying to avoid getting the $$$ Rubicon because my it will be my wife's daily driver/mall crawler for several years before I get it. I just want the D44 axles of the max tow and I can upgrade in a few years much easier with D44 axles. I haven't negotiated for the actual price of either.

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
Getting traction loc upgrades the rear axle to a 44, but doesn`t change the front and there seems to be reliability issues with traction loc.

Sponsored

OP
OP
The Crusader

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
The Wrangler has 3.45 gears. To run 35s, I'd need to regear on a new Jeep. Would that interfere with the warranty? If I get the JLR, I'm looking at a sticker of $55k with what my wife wants on it. (hard top, manual transmission, heated leather seats, 8.4" display) I can get all of that minus lockers and sway bar disconnects in a JT max tow for 46k sticker. The JLR is too pricey and the JL Sport has cheaper axles and the gears won't handle 35 inch tires. If she doesn't go for the JT, then I'll end up saying we can't afford it and get her a cheaper grocery getter with heated leather seats. I'm dreading that conversation.

Is there any way of getting factory 4.10 gears and D44 axles on a JL without getting the Rubicon package?

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
The Wrangler has 3.45 gears. To run 35s, I'd need to regear on a new Jeep. Would that interfere with the warranty? If I get the JLR, I'm looking at a sticker of $55k with what my wife wants on it. (hard top, manual transmission, heated leather seats, 8.4" display) I can get all of that minus lockers and sway bar disconnects in a JT max tow for 46k sticker. The JLR is too pricey and the JL Sport has cheaper axles and the gears won't handle 35 inch tires. If she doesn't go for the JT, then I'll end up saying we can't afford it and get her a cheaper grocery getter with heated leather seats. I'm dreading that conversation.

Is there any way of getting factory 4.10 gears and D44 axles on a JL without getting the Rubicon package?
I built your JLUR as specified on Jeep.com for an MSRP of $49k. You should be able to buy one for just over $45k. A similarly equipped JT Sport S Max Tow had an MSRP of $46k (Max Tow has auto transmission), and should sell for around $42k. I think the math is screwing up your comparison. The real difference between a Max Tow JT (auto) and a JLUR (MT) should be around $3k. But, buy what you want, which is the JT...

OP
OP
The Crusader

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
I built your JLUR as specified on Jeep.com for an MSRP of $49k. You should be able to buy one for just over $45k. A similarly equipped JT Sport S Max Tow had an MSRP of $46k (Max Tow has auto transmission), and should sell for around $42k. I think the math is screwing up your comparison. The real difference between a Max Tow JT (auto) and a JLUR (MT) should be around $3k. But, buy what you want, which is the JT...
I'm sorry. I typed manual when I meant to type auto, but there is a possibility she will want the manual. I'm good either way.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
There is no Max Tow manual, the options are mutually exclusive.

3.73's with 35's in the manual is pushing it but folks here have been running that combo. With the 8 spd auto it shouldn't be terrible.

Far more live-able than 3.45's!

I'm sorry. I typed manual when I meant to type auto, but there is a possibility she will want the manual. I'm good either way.

OP
OP
The Crusader

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
There is no Max Tow manual, the options are mutually exclusive.

3.73's with 35's in the manual is pushing it but folks here have been running that combo. With the 8 spd auto it shouldn't be terrible.

Far more live-able than 3.45's!
Yes. The only way to get 4.10 gears in a JL is to get a Rubicon. The standard JL gears are 3.45 with D35 and D30 axles. I'm trying like crazy to avoid that.

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JLUR, 2023 JTuRD
With a JL Sport you are stuck with 3.45's, The front axle is going to be a Dana 30 but checking the right boxes will get you a Dana 44 in the rear ( 6 speed and/or LSD). Not what you want to hear but the only other options are Rubicon for 4.10's or High Altitude for 3.73's. I have 33's on my Sport 6 speed and it is under geared, sixth gear is useless and you better be on point taking off or it will stall, lol.
Gregj

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Her decision, your pocketbook?

Have you run the trade in numbers on a new wife?

OP
OP
The Crusader

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
Her decision, your pocketbook?

Have you run the trade in numbers on a new wife?
She always drives the new car because I work all over the US and don't need to worry about her car breaking down. I'm hoping the refusal to put 35s on a 3.45 JL will steer her back to the JT camp. It's a waiting game at this point. Since I won't be driving the new Jeep, I can wait until she yields. At least that's the plan.

And she got a job to pay for the Jeep, but she can't get the loan without me. If I yield, we'll get the JLUR, so it won't be a total loss.
Sponsored