Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
Does the tie rod or trackbar look bent at all? The only other component to the front end that is exposed is the sway bar linkages but that shouldn’t cause a death wobble feel. But I would check that too just to be complete.
Sponsored

Phred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Green Gladiator Rubicon
Bent wheel? How hard did you hit things.

OP
OP
bastage

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Does the tie rod or trackbar look bent at all? The only other component to the front end that is exposed is the sway bar linkages but that shouldn’t cause a death wobble feel. But I would check that too just to be complete.
I didn't spot any bends or dents that didn't look like they belonged there. Honestly I figured it was trackback to begin with, but it looks fine.

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
Just a thought here... I had a WJ with a lift and a jks trackbar. I hit a bump and bamm... death wobble... had to stop on the side of the road... it took me a bit but I found that my jamnut on the trackbar was loose. I tightened it up and bamm... all fixed.

my suggestion is to check all your nuts and bolts.

good luck sir

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
Pretty much everyone here has covered most of the usual suspects. Since your trackbar is properly torqued I would move on to other things. I would examine your steering brace and the pitman arm and associated fasteners. Also a good look at the tie rod ends.
1/16 in for toe may not be enough. I haven't spent a lot of time with the JL/JT so I can't give you a solid opinion on it but I would think a little more might be better.
It can be a tough thing to track down as there are so many parts in the front end that can do it.
As mentioned you could look at your wheels and see if there is any evidence of missing wheel weights. I know it comes up but I have never had a death wobble issue created by or solved by wheel balance. I know it happens but I think it is more unlikely than a bad or loose front end component.
Some will come down to how aggressive you were driving off road. And don't be too focused looking for dented or bent. So many time I have seen it be something you really couldn't see. I had a whole new mopar steering system put on my power wagon and it did a crazy death wobble right out of the shop. Seems the parts were bad right out of the box. And it was a 4x4 shop that did it and they didn't notice on the install.
Conversely I bent my tie rod on my TJ and it didn't cause any problems at all. Just brought the toe in a little.

Sponsored

Walldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Have some one turn the steering wheel back and forth with the truck off while you watch for flex. My drag link flexed a bunch by the passenger side knuckle while the steering wheel was turned back and forth.

OP
OP
bastage

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Have some one turn the steering wheel back and forth while you watch for flex.
I had someone turning it yesterday & nothing looked out of place at all to me.

Walldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Here is video on death wobble, The bigger the tire, the more stress is put on stock steering components.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bastage

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here is video on death wobble, The bigger the tire, the more stress is put on stock steering components.
Thanks.. I will watch that as soon as I am off work

safarjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JEEP Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Cyber Security
I know this is an old thread….by chance did you ever resolve your issue?

OP
OP
bastage

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I did.. But it wasnt a single thing that fixed it. The last one was new tires. I wont ever run milestar's again as everything else was done for months before I finally broke down & got the new tires & everything is good now.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Yeah I did.. But it wasnt a single thing that fixed it. The last one was new tires. I wont ever run milestar's again as everything else was done for months before I finally broke down & got the new tires & everything is good now.
Those tires are such love hate…. I ran a few sets of them…. No doubt they are awesome on the rocks….
They wear our fast, scallop, wear uneaven, and I put 6”+ holes in the side wall of 3….

They are “cheaper” which is nice. But I don’t think I’ll ever run them again either unless we move to southern utah!

Interesting to hear that this was the source of your death wobble. First I have heard of it- but if it fixed it, it fixed it! 🍺👍🏼

OP
OP
bastage

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Those tires are such love hate…. I ran a few sets of them…. No doubt they are awesome on the rocks….
They wear our fast, scallop, wear uneaven, and I put 6”+ holes in the side wall of 3….

They are “cheaper” which is nice. But I don’t think I’ll ever run them again either unless we move to southern utah!

Interesting to hear that this was the source of your death wobble. First I have heard of it- but if it fixed it, it fixed it! 🍺👍🏼
I know several people local to me in southern idaho who swear by em. I changed just because of the wear & that I could feel every damn lug at low speeds on the pavement. I didnt even change them with the death wobble in mind, but it was gone after just the same.
Sponsored