Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Sad to say this... these doors hung happily on the ORC Stowaway for days. The problem came when I tried to take one down. It's on the left, driver's side, rear seat. As I went to lift it out of the hinges, the entire thing ripped out of my wall, and all 4 doors collapsed on top of each other on the mostly (aside from the cardboard in the picture) concrete floor.

The drivers door has a horrible bend now at the lower corner, the passenger door escaped any real damage as far as I can tell, but the two rear doors sustained multiple scuffs, dents, and creases.

We've gone back over the install -- stud finder still says all 4 holes were in line with the stud, the holes left in the wall have both sheetrock and wood dust in them, and the bolts were cinched in well enough to leave round indents on the mounting brace.

So, either the stud finder is wrong, or maybe the alignment was off just enough for the lag bolts to only partially catch the stud -- or the bolts weren't long enough to begin with.

I have not contacted the dealer yet -- I'm sure they'll tell me it was a bad install -- and maybe it was -- but I can't say I can see from what was left in the aftermath what exactly may have been done incorrectly. It's worth noting they held up ok while I hung the doors, and held the doors without pulling out for several days after, so you'd expect there had to be more than sheetrock holding them from the start, but nevertheless, with 300 lbs of doors bouncing off the concrete floor (with me under them) something definitely went wrong.
Sorry for this.

When I install anything that is heavy on the wall, I locate the studs (2 to 3 of them) and slap a chunk of 3/4 plywood on using 4 x 2 1/2" screws on each stud, then secure my brackets to the plywood. I have done this on TV's, and in the garage for heavy items. Gives a lot better mounting surface to bite into, and also allows for more fine tuning of where you want the item to hang.
Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Sad to say this... these doors hung happily on the ORC Stowaway for days. The problem came when I tried to take one down. It's on the left, driver's side, rear seat. As I went to lift it out of the hinges, the entire thing ripped out of my wall, and all 4 doors collapsed on top of each other on the mostly (aside from the cardboard in the picture) concrete floor.

The drivers door has a horrible bend now at the lower corner, the passenger door escaped any real damage as far as I can tell, but the two rear doors sustained multiple scuffs, dents, and creases.

We've gone back over the install -- stud finder still says all 4 holes were in line with the stud, the holes left in the wall have both sheetrock and wood dust in them, and the bolts were cinched in well enough to leave round indents on the mounting brace.

So, either the stud finder is wrong, or maybe the alignment was off just enough for the lag bolts to only partially catch the stud -- or the bolts weren't long enough to begin with.

I have not contacted the dealer yet -- I'm sure they'll tell me it was a bad install -- and maybe it was -- but I can't say I can see from what was left in the aftermath what exactly may have been done incorrectly. It's worth noting they held up ok while I hung the doors, and held the doors without pulling out for several days after, so you'd expect there had to be more than sheetrock holding them from the start, but nevertheless, with 300 lbs of doors bouncing off the concrete floor (with me under them) something definitely went wrong.
I dropped my driver door a few weeks ago. Just being dumb and clumsy.

It folded the upper corner and cracked the paint. Took it to my friends body shop where he charged me what he had in to it. Ended up being $250 just to give you a rough idea.

With your damage to the rear doors though, I'd probably get insurance involved.

Gladiator2919

First Name
Rand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT geek
Sorry for this.

When I install anything that is heavy on the wall, I locate the studs (2 to 3 of them) and slap a chunk of 3/4 plywood on using 4 x 2 1/2" screws on each stud, then secure my brackets to the plywood. I have done this on TV's, and in the garage for heavy items. Gives a lot better mounting surface to bite into, and also allows for more fine tuning of where you want the item to hang.
Wow. That's an awesome recommendation, thank you! It turns out, I caught the stud, but only partially. When I do it again, I'll use your approach -- much safer!

Gladiator2919

First Name
Rand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT geek
I dropped my driver door a few weeks ago. Just being dumb and clumsy.

It folded the upper corner and cracked the paint. Took it to my friends body shop where he charged me what he had in to it. Ended up being $250 just to give you a rough idea.

With your damage to the rear doors though, I'd probably get insurance involved.
I've got a body shop ready to give an estimate as soon as I can get over to them. Will let you know how bad the bill is gonna be.

Jclayc

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Overland
2pcs of 1 3/4in white oak, 8 5in lag bolts I had laying around and eye bolts from Lowe’s, $6.00 in it and an hour of my time
Jeep Gladiator What do you do with your doors? D972591F-30B8-4BE8-8DC2-E282AC211191

Sponsored

Sponsored

Buzzlb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland: The Overcon ‘82 CJ-7
Build Thread
Link
Doors as art.
Jeep Gladiator What do you do with your doors? 334BEBF7-201F-4587-8CD1-C530F6180A10

rayvonp

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Gladiator, 2018 Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Boeing
Hang them up
Jeep Gladiator What do you do with your doors? 6BC48C36-488F-4F28-9135-CC869F7DA0EF

4xjeepr

First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Sport, 06 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 95 Wrangler Rio Grande
Not the prettiest but it works for me. This winter will be changing it up just a little.

Jeep Gladiator What do you do with your doors? 20220827_225857
Jeep Gladiator What do you do with your doors? 20220827_225906
Jeep Gladiator What do you do with your doors? 20220827_225915

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
I made my own hangers for the wall of my garage. Simple and cheap. These are from my JKU.

B2A22803-A321-4BB2-85FA-D3ACB804596B.jpeg
Exactly what I did. Except mine aren’t offset due to windows. Got a clean wall.
In any case Way a life came through on the YouTube vid for these! Made with spare wood and like $9 on bolts and washers

Jab1719

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Occupation
Tax Manager
Exactly what I did. Except mine aren’t offset due to windows. Got a clean wall.
In any case Way a life came through on the YouTube vid for these! Made with spare wood and like $9 on bolts and washers
I was a little concerned but they have held up great. I have the bestop core doors for my JKU and my hard doors have been hanging up all summer. Then I’ll switch them out. [Banned Site] really came through with that video!
Sponsored