Sponsored

What does the 2026, 40 mpg jeep wrangler model look like?

Outside Reality Check

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 Toyota 4Runner LTD
Occupation
Surgical Technologist
Vehicle Showcase
I always get confused when these threads start. Am I supposed to be upset about better MPG? Or should I look forward to better MPG? Maybe I should feel bad about all that extra work they'll have to do to design a more efficient vehicle; might have to hire a few more people. They might have to offer more for my money in order to stay competitive. A good thing, or a bad thing? Time will tell. You can't please everyone all the time, but I wonder what people would say if they required 9 MPG with gas at $4.25, that'll never happen.
Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
I think the worry is the mandate will kill certain kinds of vehicles because they just can't reach that level.

I think the big change will be the grill and cooling. I can see them substantially reworking the front end to make for better cooling and allow for smaller turbo and phev engines like the t6, 2.0, even possibly something smaller than 2.0 with phev to fill in the power. Stellantis also is in partnership with both Samsung and lg to make 2 us based battery factories so 4xes with bigger batteries and possibly full evs across the board are probably on their way shortly.

OP
OP
Lateralus

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I always get confused when these threads start. Am I supposed to be upset about better MPG? Or should I look forward to better MPG? Maybe I should feel bad about all that extra work they'll have to do to design a more efficient vehicle; might have to hire a few more people. They might have to offer more for my money in order to stay competitive. A good thing, or a bad thing? Time will tell. You can't please everyone all the time, but I wonder what people would say if they required 9 MPG with gas at $4.25, that'll never happen.
Good question! How have increased regulations benefited the people of your state? Greater economic prosperity, increased quality of life, rising economy, safer communities? Your state leads the way in terms of environmental protection policies.

How much does a new wrangler cost when it turns into a Bollinger B1?

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
I'll keep my JTO for as long as I can. These new engines and requirements will seriously hurt towing capacity which means selling or scrapping at a serious financial loss, my travel trailer.

Besides, I get around 24 MPG from my JTO as it is on the highway and 19 MPG bopping around. 13+ MPG towing. Not bad for what it is.

ilovebikes99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Blackout
Occupation
Motorcyclist
Looks like some things like towing trailers will soon disappear or become less affordable. I wonder how long do we have until this lifestyle change

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will it be small like a geo tracker or Suzuki samurai with a small diesel motor? Aluminum framed, limited sound deadening to save weight? Front wheel drive only? Or does it just go away completely?
The 4xe gets them everything they need as far as fuel economy goes.

Hopefully by 2026 they will have version 2.0. The current one is needlessly complex, a normally aspirated Atkinson Cycle 2.7L inline 4 is all you would need.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
1) These are targets set by the government. They won't actually be reached because they aren't reachable.

2) As folks have already said, the 40 MPG number is for the "fleet average". So you can still have things like the Ram TRX, as long as you've got a small car that can offset it in the lineup.

3) Electrification isn't going to happen nearly as quickly as they'd like you to believe. Toyota is the world leader in automobiles, and it's no secret that their CEO is not a fan of EVs. He's been trying to do hybrids to stay ahead of the curve, but he is very wise and knows that pure EVs are not the answer.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1) These are targets set by the government. They won't actually be reached because they aren't reachable.

2) As folks have already said, the 40 MPG number is for the "fleet average". So you can still have things like the Ram TRX, as long as you've got a small car that can offset it in the lineup.

3) Electrification isn't going to happen nearly as quickly as they'd like you to believe. Toyota is the world leader in automobiles, and it's no secret that their CEO is not a fan of EVs. He's been trying to do hybrids to stay ahead of the curve, but he is very wise and knows that pure EVs are not the answer.
The beautiful thing about a hybrid is that its transparent to the end user. Plenty of power and better fuel economy.

I doubt Fiat/Chrysler's ability to deliver the complexity of a hybrid with good reliability. But Toyota has been doing it for 24 years!!!

OP
OP
Lateralus

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
If we do go all electric at some point, can another country offset our low pollution output by not holding high standards in pollution? If so, have we really solved anything on a global scale other than feeling good about ourselves?

FitfulGoat

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Operations Leadership

Which is why Toyota and Lexus just announced like 15 full electric vehicles? I think their CEO was on stage talking about their push for electrification….

Guess it’s not the answer though?

Sponsored

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
Because these vehicles are going to get more and more expensive which is crazy considering what they charge already. A 4XE Gladiator will be well north of 60-70k.

Outside Reality Check

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 Toyota 4Runner LTD
Occupation
Surgical Technologist
Vehicle Showcase
Because these vehicles are going to get more and more expensive which is crazy considering what they charge already. A 4XE Gladiator will be well north of 60-70k.
There were a lot of good posts on the “4XE Gladiator” thread, and some of the challenges regarding towing and weight. The price will no doubt be affected. If the cost exceeds what the market is willing to bear, you have a loser. They will no doubt develop a vehicle priced right where it needs to be in order to attract the share of the market they’re targeting. We have all shelled out what the market will bear, and even a little more, and a little more, and just a little bit more. And we are happily wheelin down the trail. I think Jeep has a pretty good idea who they’re selling to and will continue to do so, unless they screw the pooch and make a cheese log.

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
Or the people of California stop sniffing there own farts and stop stuffing carb down the rest of the country’s throats and we just keep living with the jeeps we have now. Every time I see someone mention carb it makes me miserable 😖 if you don’t get the fart sniffing reference you need to watch more unintelligent television lol

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
If they want 40 mpg they need to lower the speed limit substantially and provide better fuel.