Sponsored

What does everyone think about the lifespan of the JT model?

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Ford revealed the compact Maverick today.

Key details:
  1. Unibody construction; 1 foot shorter than Ranger
  2. Starting price for FWD hybrid under $20,000; 2.5T AWD available
  3. 5-foot bed
  4. Estimated 40 MPG
1623177928000.png

1623178818612.png

1623178603331.png

This is the third unibody pickup to enter the market, next to Honda Ridgeline and Hyundai Santa Cruz. It will make Ridgeline look grossly overpriced, IMO.

These compact pickups are likely to change the dynamics in the midsize pickup segment, particularly for more generic models like Ranger, Colorado, Tacoma and Frontier. I think Gladiator is unique enough to stand on its own two feet.

Here is an overview of the new Maverick:
My wife is interested because it's a pickup and it has the fuel economy of her Honda civic.
Sponsored

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure Ford did extensive market research, but I just can't see that selling well in the US and Canada.

I assume this is a global vehicle, if so APAC and LATAM would like it, but at low margins.
Honda sells 50,000 Ridgelines every year. By comparison, this pickup is going to have (1) a much lower starting price, (2) significantly better fuel economy, and (3) a Ford badge; it will sell.

My only question is how many sales is this truck going to cannibalize from Ranger, Escape, and other smaller Ford trucks.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I'm going to go against the grain. I think the Gladiator's days a numbered. For more than 2 decades people like me have been wanting the return of a Jeep truck. I think the ones who wanted it, and are people who buy new vehicles, have already or are soon to buy them. I would wager after about 3-4 years those strange people like us who wanted a bed on their Jeep will all have them, or plan to be buying them used. Sales will die off and it will go the way of the Comanche. Hopefully I'm wrong, and it sure wouldn't be the first time, but that's my prediction. If they don't make a second generation then I have no idea what my next vehicle will be. Oddly never been a wrangler man.
First couple of years of a new model launch is always the "Salad Days" of any new vehicle. Given the cost sharing of development spread out with the Wrangler, I see it at least going into a next gen redesign.

FCA/Stellantis always knew it would be a niche vehicle and lowered sales expectation as such.

Planerdude

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
What does everyone think about the lifespan of the JT model? I wonder what production and sales numbers look like compared to the TJ-Unlimited? 3 years and done for that one. I' will try to find numbers on the TJ run, 04-06.
I think the major shift to All Electirc vehicles has begun. In the next ten years we could easily see the majority of cars produced being electric, the Gladiator and Wrangler being pert of this shift. The future of the Galdiator will be exciting, thats for sure.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
What does everyone think about the lifespan of the JT model? I wonder what production and sales numbers look like compared to the TJ-Unlimited? 3 years and done for that one. I' will try to find numbers on the TJ run, 04-06.
Not sure, but it won't go away anytime soon. It really didn't require as great an investment as a clean sheet design, as it shares many elements and even parts with the JL. So it can handle low volume sales and production. Probably lower than other vehicles can withstand. They also have LOTS of room in the pricing for incentives to bolster sales. I mean LOTS of room. so they can either keep the price high and reduce production or heavily incentivize it and keep the production rate higher. This gives them great flexibility to react to changes in the marketplace.

And no way does the Maverick compete with the JT. It is a completely different animal. The Maverick is a car. The JT is both a truck AND a Jeep. It really is a niche product and crosses over a couple of lines.

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Like every other manufacturer selling product it's to make $. If it keeps up it's return on investment it stays. Otherwise it goes.
Everything is built and sold for $$$$. Not just cause we want or like it.
It's just another buisness.........

Chilli

First Name
Wolfgang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLADIATOR RUBICON
Occupation
RETIRED
Looking at Jeep's history, there have been some near financial misses.

This little vehicle has had many attempts in other design explorations.

Nearly as many changes in Master of ownership.
Some how the Jeep is still w/ us. Still some just don't get ''the Jeep thing''.
I rather doubt if many of the shiney shoe owners really give a rats astrological sign about Jeep.
Sure we are lucky enough to still have some leadership in the upper departments who just might care but then they must keep making something to meet the oncoming trend.

Personally this Gladiator thing is the best distraction yet to sell. Some folks who never considered looking at any Jeep twice (they told me so) now are asking me all kinds of personal questions.

I have no doubt most will never go far from pavement . . . . so what, they are buying & now feeling good about ''the Jeep thing''. Sometimes some folks are actually lowering their expectations (they don't need to be in the HP race) .
& this is good for Jeep. The experience of ownership need not whisper perfection, but let's go have some fun & not see the blue light specials in our rear view mirrors.

As so far as competition is concerned, it will only make Jeep better.
Guys embrace our selection, we only makes Jeep stronger.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Well the Dodge Dakota was the reason the MJ was killed off as it was hitting it's prime. The MJ is a unibody cab forward then formed sheet metal frame in back.... It's useless to make a trailer with. 😉 I know I made a 88 MJ bed into a trailer for my XJ. If I had not been as quick with my blue wrench and saw, I'd had a MJ to make into a flat bed truck too. :headbang:

I expect the Ford Maverick to sell like hot cakes especially with current conditions about like the 75ish-80s did for Toyota, Chevy Lov and Datson. (probably miss spelled)
If I didn't dispise I. S. vehicles I would have something else maybe. But I want something that doesn't wear out itself in regular driving. Solid axles have a longer life cycle compared to any other type. IMHO.
Sponsored