Sponsored

What do you think of this site? The good, the bad, and the ugly.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with all the comments about this being a helpful and informative community with minimal drama and has a fun edge to it.

That said, I’m looking forward to the forum software being updated to support iOS 15 properly. Ever since I upgraded my phone, Safari had all the formatting options greyed out:

E341799A-DA0E-4271-A9A1-6068EBF94AFD.jpeg

It works in other browsers in iOS 15, like Chrome, but I like Safari.
I'm totally unfamiliar with this software or the scripting behind it - but did something change in your latest update (I'm not an Apple device user) - security-wise, blocking scripts, etc?
I tried to dig into the code behind those buttons and was frankly a bit confused by the fact that the settings button appears not "greyed out" while the others are. They appear to be made using standard code - but the function on click is where I had to stop looking and made me think - script blocking?
Obviously a difference in the new Safari browser.
Sponsored

JAY

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
I agree with all the comments about this being a helpful and informative community with minimal drama and has a fun edge to it.

That said, I’m looking forward to the forum software being updated to support iOS 15 properly. Ever since I upgraded my phone, Safari had all the formatting options greyed out:

E341799A-DA0E-4271-A9A1-6068EBF94AFD.jpeg

It works in other browsers in iOS 15, like Chrome, but I like Safari.
You must have clicked into raw text editor mode without realizing it. Simply click on that gear icon (the single option that's not grayed out) and all the other options will be available again.

The gear icon is what changes your post editor between WYSIWYG and raw text mode.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
You must have clicked into raw text editor mode without realizing it. Simply click on that gear icon (the single option that's not grayed out) and all the other options will be available again.

The gear icon is what changes your post editor between WYSIWYG and raw text mode.
See? Helpful and informative… :like:

Thanks!

Sponsored

steveorama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Assuming here - is this what you mean?
Not blatantly obvious, you have to look to find it, so I wonder if some members haven't yet seen it?

Jeep Gladiator What do you think of this site? The good, the bad, and the ugly. clap
That would be the same, I'm glad to find out it's here. It's a great community feature that I used quite a bit when I was restoring my old Honda on the V4 forum. I pretty much gave away all of the old parts as I replaced them. Better to have them go to where they can be used than trashed. I'm guessing I've seen it here, but just forgot it was even there. So thank you, but this goes back to my previous complaint. There's just too many subforums IMO.

I understand why they are there for sorting and breakout reasons, and ironically I'm usually all about sorting and labeling things IRL, but I just find the forum page to be overwhelming because of this. I count 35 sub forums on the forum page not including the additional sub-subforums (e.g. the vendor markets or local sections) and the sponsor pages. There's some redundancy there (why is there an underbody subforum? Couldn't that be under Exterior Mods or Suspension?)and frankly there are other subforums I simply don't get the point. Like "Gladiator Versus" subforum, why is that even a thing? What is the incessant need to compare the Gladiator to the Bronco, etc. Even so couldn't that just be discussed in the General Gladiator Topics subforum?

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
This is an excellent forum with a ton of information and really helpful members. Political topics are forbidden which I don't like but I also completely understand why it's not allowed. I can't find any faults with the website format. Everything runs smooth and is easy to find on my end.

MyRight

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Freedom, 2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo
Forums like this are great, in that I am getting educated rather quickly about my JT.
I literally had zero knowledge about any of the options or the difference between the various trims.
I was in immediate need to get a 4x4 with tow capacity and the Gladiator matched my requirements, so I bought what was available.
Now I'm just pissed because I see what a money pit this thing is going to be over the course of it's life.
Actually, I am super satisfied with what this vehicle is all about. I just wished I had the deep pockets to fit it out like I'd really like. Probably by the time I get it paid off and some would consider as end of life is when I'll have it about where I want it.
I usually keep vehicles until they die. My 2003 Grand Cherokee has 252k on it and it's still tickin.
Back to the forum topic, I have no complaints with how this one is managed and have found that there are always knowledgeable Jeepers ready to put forth their experience and suggestions when members reach out for assistance.

Stsdroog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2020 JT Rubicon, 2021 JT Rubicon
I've lurked in this forum and the associated JL forum for years. I like the community here. Low Drama, Low politics, High love for Jeeps.

Also, Facebook is a trash heap.

Sponsored

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor

Rummie

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.siestakeyrum.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '24 Model X Plaid
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rum
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with pretty much everything said so far.

I will add that this forum has just about the right amount of members. Too few members and things die off. Too many and you lose some sense of community (and you get more jerks).

I owned several sports car forums back in the day. www.corvetteforum.com was the biggest of them with hundreds of thousands of registrations. We had to have a large team of moderators to keep up after it took off. It was fun to have it so active but it kind of lost a bit of the small community feel.

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I honestly think this forum is fairly low key and helpful in nature compared to others I have been on over the years. My biggest complaint honestly is there is too many sub forums. Not really a problem when you're searching for a specific subject, but makes it a little harder to mindlessly surf the forum topics. Most of the other forums I'm on or have been on are usually much simpler than this. Again it's not really much of complaint, but it's really the only one I got and most likely is unique to myself.

Other than that it's fairly straight forward, friendly, and useful. The winner for the nicest forum I've ever been on still goes to v4musclebikes.com as it's just a bunch of old guys riding on old v4 Honda motorcycles for the most part. So by default it's super friendly and helpful. It's not even a fair contest. lol. They even have a "pay it forward" page where people give away parts, riding gear, etc. Pretty cool and I wouldn't mind seeing something like that here. I've since sold the bike and no longer frequent the site, but I do miss those folks, really good people right there. Others I'm currently on have the usual people who tell you to use the search feature whenever someone new asks a question which I find to be annoying. Or someone's feelings are always getting hurt and then the mods have to step in and delete posts etc. It's childish and most of the folks over there are probably 40+. I honestly don't think I've seen that here, but those forums have also been active since the mid 2000's so by comparison, we are all new here.

Facebook on the other hand as others have said, is really the opposite. Which is sad because it didn't use to be like that. I joined a bunch of Gladiator groups soon after buying mine in June and I have since un-joined all of them just because the negativity and the look at me people. 100's of daily posts of just people sharing pics of their Gladiator. It was just overload IMO and it just clogged up my feed. You can spend the time and filter that stuff out, but honestly I felt like I got more useful information here and it was easier to search the forum so I just left them. I still have other FB groups that I'm in and enjoy so there is some good from FB like marketplace and what not. But I'm also thinking it may be time to leave after 12 years on the app. Honestly, like with most things, when there are too many people, it quickly goes downhill.
There is a free stuff section in the member marketplace I believe

AlxCZ

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Artist
I have been involved with forums for the better part of 20 years. Auto, collectible, home theater, tech, etc. I have seen things from being a member and a staff member. I used to be a super moderator and admin on a group of large tech forums.

With that being said forums are forums.

-You usually get a core group of good members. One's that talk, help and have fun. Contributing members.

-Then you get another group that just get off on arguing and starting conflicts. Getting bent out of shape when someone asks a commonly asked question. Always debating with or being overly critical of other members. These are the keyboard warriors.

-Finally the one's that join with zero intention of being contributing members. They just want to start trouble. They want to set the world on fire just to watch it burn. These of course are the trolls.

In the grand scheme of forums that I have been involved in this one is pretty relaxed. Don't see much conflict. Don't see too many keyboard warriors. There are other forums that I'm on that are a whole different environment. Constant arguing. People being critical of other members. Pick pick pick.

But I will say this. No forum I have been involved with can compare to the negativity of Facebook groups. I have never seen such a bunch of whiney ass man-boys and super commando keyboard warriors. And the gang mentality. One person starts on a member and next thing you know there are 20 people bashing someone for asking a common question or having their own opinion. It's downright pathetic how some people talk to others. Guarantee most of them would never say the things they do to someone's face. They would be swallowing their teeth.
There is the belief that the internet is a great haven for those brave only in the cloak of anonymity, hence the trolls, kws and those that just live a miserable life and are angry at everyone else. Maybe there should be a forum for them, call it: "I am so angry forum" or " I want to be rude forum"

KX L

First Name
KX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CVO Street Glide; 2022 JT Mojave with 6MT
Occupation
Retired
I've been on Harley and watch forums and enjoyed both but must agree that this one has been the best for me.

I took one look at the sub forums and vowed to only go there if the search button didn't help me out.

What I do instead is hit the "What's New" button and go through the first 5 pages of "Unread Posts". If the subject is something I want to read or catch up on I do the two finger thing because I'm on an IOS system [right click on windows] and then open that link in a new tab.

Then I just read each tab and delete it as I go.

And personally I'm very appreciative of the members here not acting like FaceBoogers when I rant about the craziness that I don't understand from FCA and now Stellantis.
Sponsored