Sponsored

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
My biggest compliant with the ess is the programing. When I go to park I came to a stop, engine turns off, move the selector from D to P and the engine starts again only for me to turn it off!?!? Like WTF Jeep.
Don't jam down that hard on the brake. If I want to stop and not have it activate I can do that, it's not hard. There's also a button for those who don't like it and aftermarket fixes like a tazer for those who can't be bothered to properly modulate their foot pressure or press a button lol.

Also, there is a definite difference in MPG between idling and having the engine shut off at proper stop lights. I can easily see 1-2MPG in real world numbers when it works vs when it doesn't. Hand calculations.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AstroZombie

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
Hate it all you want, but if Jeep couldn't use it, then you might just lose some of your precious Jeep options. And it's going to get worse in the coming year or two. If you want choices in vehicles, if you want Wrangler and Gladiator to survive - live with the extremely minor inconveniences. It's such a minor thing for such hate.
[/QUOTE]
I don't get all the hate. It doesn't bother me at all. I can even see the MPG projection drop as i sit at a light, idle. I hit stop lights every 1/2 mile in San Diego and depending on traffic the stop and go is way worse on the 78. Boy, I cant wait to hear all the groans when they go full electric. HAHAHAHA

I drove from San Diego to Inglewood to see Pearl Jam last Friday. I was surprised the wife suggested we even take it because we have a hybrid Ioniq that get like 550 mile a tank. I averaged 19 MPG for the entire tank. I hit 356 miles when the gas light came on. Filled it to 19.3 gallons. That is the best to date for my Rubicon.!!

OP
OP
AstroZombie

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech Support
@ShadowsPapa you always have some very good information!

OP
OP
AstroZombie

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech Support
ESS is not a fuel saver. Its to reduce emission while idle. It really doesn't bother me. Even with my exhaust. You can't tell.
I can tell when I go to take off. I don't like when unintended consequences get imposed on me because it looked good to someone else. Especially when they haven't agreed to buy me a new starter.
[/QUOTE]
That starter will outlast many things in that Jeep. I have a 22 year old Tacoma and have never needed to change the starter or the alternator. Just saying. The start doesn't need to last any longer than the Warranty. Just like every other part on it.

OP
OP
AstroZombie

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech Support
I added the dead peddle this weekend after burning a tank in 6 hours. Boy it sure make a difference having a place to your left foot.

Sponsored

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
I can tell when I go to take off. I don't like when unintended consequences get imposed on me because it looked good to someone else. Especially when they haven't agreed to buy me a new starter.
That starter will outlast many things in that Jeep. I have a 22 year old Tacoma and have never needed to change the starter or the alternator. Just saying. The start doesn't need to last any longer than the Warranty. Just like every other part on it.
[/QUOTE]

He was implying the ESS will attribute to a shorter starter life span due to the constant stopping/starting. I don't think your 22 year old Tacoma shut off at every red light/stop sign....

elPollero

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Farmer
Anyone else feel like you have to press the brake way to hard to cancel the cruise control.
Most every other vehicle I have owned when you barley put your foot on the brake it cancels the cruise. Mine you lose 10mph trying to get it to cancel. Makes people behind you think your brake checking them.
Trying my best to remember to use the steering wheel controls instead

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
I don't think you'd be able to guarantee that statement, but more starter cycles does increase the chance of a failure. Even if it's rare, it's not rare when it happens to me.

If someone else will cover the cost for me in the rare case of a failure, then I would consider using it. But I dont like paying for someone else's bad decision.

OP
OP
AstroZombie

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech Support
agree to disagree.

OP
OP
AstroZombie

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech Support
Anyone else feel like you have to press the brake way to hard to cancel the cruise control.
Most every other vehicle I have owned when you barley put your foot on the brake it cancels the cruise. Mine you lose 10mph trying to get it to cancel. Makes people behind you think your brake checking them.
Yup, i got the habit of just hitting the cancel button and resume to get back to speed

Sponsored

OP
OP
AstroZombie

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech Support
He was implying the ESS will attribute to a shorter starter life span due to the constant stopping/starting. I don't think your 22 year old Tacoma shut off at every red light/stop sign....
[/QUOTE]
The jeep doesnt turn off at every stop light oir sign either. It may even be considered as part of the drivetrain since it is an active part of the stop and go function of the system. It is what it is and it isn't going away. It's ugly but tolerable.

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
The jeep doesnt turn off at every stop light oir sign either. It may even be considered as part of the drivetrain since it is an active part of the stop and go function of the system. It is what it is and it isn't going away. It's ugly but tolerable.
[/QUOTE]

Increased maintenance and complexity is inevitable to some extent, but I still try to avoid it when possible or when the benefits don't outweigh the disadvantages for me.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
While the brake has a farther travel than my car I don't decelerate much to take it off using the pedal. But then again I'm 1 of those people who can choose to have ESS engage with my foot or not a stop so... maybe there's something to that?
Sponsored