What First: 37s or Lift?

RI_mojave11

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 71 C10
Trying to figure out what to do first between AEV 2” lift and tires (probably BFG KO2 37s). Currently have stock set up with ARE cap and a cargoglide. Truck is daily commuter and will see some off-road, primarily beach but some woods as well. Nothing like my old JKU as the days and stress of beating my daily up are behind me (I hope). Will also be used my ski rig so hopefully some heavy snow in the northeast & ~5 hour road trips.

At this point I've accepted both are inevitable after telling myself I'd keep this one stock. Figure with load range C BFGs and stock or close to stock weight wheels I can manage unsprung weight to limit stress on components and with smaller 37s not immediately feel the need for a regear on road trips (ran 35s on 3.21s for a while so I have a pretty high tolerance for slug) However, with the cap, cargoglide and beach driving I feel like going AEV lift first might make more sense. I don't think it'd look too ridiculous with the 33s and wouldn't lose cruising at 75-80mph on the highway.

Moral of the story I've been going back and forth for months and I just need a push in one direction or the other. Like I said, pretty much both are inevitable it's just a matter of where to splurge first with probably some delay between the first purchase and second.

Jeep Gladiator What First: 37s or Lift? IMG_5363
Jeep Gladiator What First: 37s or Lift? IMG_5364
Sponsored

BigLizzard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
I make people bigger brighter and louder
Lift first. You'll likely run into clearance issues even city driving. I put Patagonia 37s on the day before I did my lift and it collided with my bumper coming out of Tim Hortons. The bumper was aftermarket but I think the point is valid.

6006spd

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator
Occupation
Self employed
Trying to figure out what to do first between AEV 2” lift and tires (probably BFG KO2 37s). Currently have stock set up with ARE cap and a cargoglide. Truck is daily commuter and will see some off-road, primarily beach but some woods as well. Nothing like my old JKU as the days and stress of beating my daily up are behind me (I hope). Will also be used my ski rig so hopefully some heavy snow in the northeast & ~5 hour road trips.

At this point I've accepted both are inevitable after telling myself I'd keep this one stock. Figure with load range C BFGs and stock or close to stock weight wheels I can manage unsprung weight to limit stress on components and with smaller 37s not immediately feel the need for a regear on road trips (ran 35s on 3.21s for a while so I have a pretty high tolerance for slug) However, with the cap, cargoglide and beach driving I feel like going AEV lift first might make more sense. I don't think it'd look too ridiculous with the 33s and wouldn't lose cruising at 75-80mph on the highway.

Moral of the story I've been going back and forth for months and I just need a push in one direction or the other. Like I said, pretty much both are inevitable it's just a matter of where to splurge first with probably some delay between the first purchase and second.

6006spd

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator
Occupation
Self employed
I’d do lift first as well then pick wheels and tires to fit, I run my stock 33 in the winter time with Aev lift yea there is a pretty good gap but all good

Zachanadandy

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman

You won't lose the ability to cruise 80mph even with the 4.10s and 37s. 37s went on yesterday and even though I haven't recalibrated yet it cruises along at 85mph according to the GPS at 2100 rpms in 8th gear. I'd say tires 1st as it makes the biggest difference in looks and function but I did both at the same time. Very happy with the AEV 2" kit and 37s although the procal needing a wiring harness is lame.
Jeep Gladiator What First: 37s or Lift? 20231129_142834

Sponsored

Kajo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Soldier
A leveling kit up front and 37"s is my suggestion. I have been running 37" C rated KO2's on stock rims and 4.10 gears for 2 years and 26K miles. I started with just a 1.5" leveling kit up front for the first year and than added a 3/4" rear spacer. I said I would install a slightly larger lift and re-gear eventually but things have been going well so far and I have wheeled a decent amount of trails as is.

5adventurers

First Name
Shelton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR
Occupation
Financials
You won't lose the ability to cruise 80mph even with the 4.10s and 37s. 37s went on yesterday and even though I haven't recalibrated yet it cruises along at 85mph according to the GPS at 2100 rpms in 8th gear. I'd say tires 1st as it makes the biggest difference in looks and function but I did both at the same time. Very happy with the AEV 2" kit and 37s although the procal needing a wiring harness is lame.
The procal wiring harness is a pain for sure. Thank goodness for "YouTube university online for kids who want to read and know how to do other stuff good to"

Kind of an understated part of install 😂
I did it with the dualsport and 37s, but the pro cal is the same, I even called AEV about programming. Which, in fairness they were very helpful.

Ride looks nice!

5adventurers

First Name
Shelton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR
Occupation
Financials
A leveling kit up front and 37"s is my suggestion. I have been running 37" C rated KO2's on stock rims and 4.10 gears for 2 years and 26K miles. I started with just a 1.5" leveling kit up front for the first year and than added a 3/4" rear spacer. I said I would install a slightly larger lift and re-gear eventually but things have been going well so far and I have wheeled a decent amount of trails as is.
Thanks for making me look at those KO2s back in May, finally got it all done this week.👍

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Yeah I had my 37x13.5 on Methods about 3 weeks before my AEV lift

Zachanadandy

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical foreman
The procal wiring harness is a pain for sure. Thank goodness for "YouTube university online for kids who want to read and know how to do other stuff good to"

Kind of an understated part of install 😂
I did it with the dualsport and 37s, but the pro cal is the same, I even called AEV about programming. Which, in fairness they were very helpful.

Ride looks nice!
It's bizarre that tazer, jscan, etc can do the same thing without it. If they didn't include it with their lifts, I don't think anyone would choose or recommend it over the tazer.

Sponsored

NotSo Bright White

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR DIESEL
Occupation
Retire Fireman
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the 2 inch Mopar lift first while I waited for my 37 BFG’s. It looked a little strange lifted with the 33’s but it was only a week or two. But the damn mod inch kept getting worse and after a Harker Outdoor shell and gear, now thinking about the AEV dual sport HD lift. Ok, not thinking about but saving up for.

Unless you are rock crawling with big flex, I don’t think it matters which comes first. Almost the chicken vs the egg argument.

Len

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep

I just put 37” MT Baja Boss on my JTR and no issues running stock suspension. No rubbing. I went with tires first because like you I wasn’t sure about lift yet. I am torn between Clayton 2.5” and 3.5” lift kits. Now that I put 37” tires on and I can see what that looks like with my set up I’ve made the decision that 2.5” lift maybe the best choice for me. My tires gave my almost 2” of lift alone.

IMG_1589.jpeg

5adventurers

First Name
Shelton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR
Occupation
Financials
I just put 37” MT Baja Boss on my JTR and no issues running stock suspension. No rubbing. I went with tires first because like you I wasn’t sure about lift yet. I am torn between Clayton 2.5” and 3.5” lift kits. Now that I put 37” tires on and I can see what that looks like with my set up I’ve made the decision that 2.5” lift maybe the best choice for me. My tires gave my almost 2” of lift alone.

Jeep Gladiator What First: 37s or Lift? IMG_1589
The 2.5 vs 3.5 is a real stickler. But...the thing that made it easy was further modifications when lifting past 3 inches with driveshafts etc. I stick with 2.5 AEV dualsport and did add a 1/2 spacer in front due to winch going on....but it's plenty high and clears nicely. I think if I went 3.5 with the 37s it would actually start to look goofy. Maybe 🤔

Reactions: Len

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave Sarge
Occupation
Gunsmith
37x12.50x17 BFG KO2 on stock Wheels. 2023 Mojave. No lift.

I put one washer in the steering stop both sides
I trimmed a little from the inner fender liner
I flexed it as much as I possibly could off road and have zero rubbing or other issues.
I maintained a low center of gravity, which should be the ultimate goal for everyone that off roads. Only lift a vehicle as necessary to clear your tires.

KevinC

Jeep Gladiator What First: 37s or Lift? 1701358471798

Jeep Gladiator What First: 37s or Lift? 1701358455313

Jeep Gladiator What First: 37s or Lift? 1701358155467

Len

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The 2.5 vs 3.5 is a real stickler. But...the thing that made it easy was further modifications when lifting past 3 inches with driveshafts etc. I stick with 2.5 AEV dualsport and did add a 1/2 spacer in front due to winch going on....but it's plenty high and clears nicely. I think if I went 3.5 with the 37s it would actually start to look goofy. Maybe 🤔
That’s why I’m now leaning heavily towards the 2.5” Clayton lift. I really don’t want to go down that rabbit hole of even more mods bc I have to due to left size. I am of the mindset of building to my needs and not wants. I only need a 2.5”
For what I do. I have seen Glads with 3.5” and even 4” lifts with 37” tires and it’s okay, but like you, I don’t think it fits my tast personally.
Sponsored