What If I dont take my order?

flashesbuck

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I ordered a Gladiator back in April, and have been patiently waiting. Its actually built now, just waiting on delivery.... except now I am seeing Gladiators are popping up on the used market at a reasonable price. The only reason I pre-ordered a new one, I literally could not find a single one at that time that had the limited amount of options that I was looking for (i ordered a sport S Manual), and they would take less than MSRP. It was a no brainer to just order a new one and pay MSRP.
Well things have changed, and I feel we are seeing the bottom begin to fall out of the Used Car Market. I have sense spotted 2, better optioned Gladators that I am interested in, and far cheaper than MSRP. So much so, it would be saving me over $5K to take one of these used ones with less than 20k miles and they have fare more options!
My real question here is, how pissed is the dealership going to be when I walk away from my pre-order. I do have a $500 deposit on it. Of course I would like my deposit back, but I'm willing to walk away from that if its going to save me in the long run. They made it clear when ordering that they want MSRP+fee's+freight+tax for it, so I highly doubt they will negotiate at all on price.
I don't feel toooo bad about walking away from as dealership have been making money hand over fist for several years now. Im sure they can off my gladi to someone else that walks in the door.
Sponsored

aceisback

Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
DoD (forced to resign courtesy of FJB), Retired Marine
Why would you order at MSRP when there’s a dozen dealers selling at up to 8% BELOW INVOICE?
With no negotiating. Very simple and friendly transaction.

OP
OP
flashesbuck

flashesbuck

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Why would you order at MSRP when there’s a dozen dealers selling at up to 8% BELOW INVOICE?
With no negotiating. Very simple and friendly transaction.
yes, I am still kicking myself for this. Had I seen this prior to ordering I would have gone this route. Although I was willing to eat %8 for the convenance of getting it from the dealer down the street I would be pissed about it. But now I'm looking at getting a used one that's nearly 15-18% under MSRP.
I know its new vs used, but still its a considerable savings.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
I’d look over the terms of the agreement, but if you can get out of it…you’ve got to do what you’ve got to do.

I went new (back in mid-April) because I couldn’t find a decent low mileage used vehicle for a reasonable price. I still don’t see any that are priced reasonably locally.

I’d be damn sure that the prices you’re seeing are realistic before you back out of the deal. Whenever I see something that looks like a good deal locally, there’s a catch.

Digger70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Altitude
They're either going to be pissed and not give you the deposit back, or be happy to sell your Gladiator on their lot and give/not give your deposit back. It also might depend on how many Gladiators they already have for sale. Since they're selling at MSRP, I'd imagine they don't have too many. But like Barnaby'sdad said, make sure those other used deals are really good deals and you're not getting something with existing problems. And test-drive it. Don't buy anything at face value. Take it on the interstate and get it up to 65 or 75 (whatever the speed limit in Ohio is now) and see if there's any vibration etc.

Sponsored

OP
OP
flashesbuck

flashesbuck

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
They're either going to be pissed and not give you the deposit back, or be happy to sell your Gladiator on their lot and give/not give your deposit back. It also might depend on how many Gladiators they already have for sale. Since they're selling at MSRP, I'd imagine they don't have too many. But like Barnaby'sdad said, make sure those other used deals are really good deals and you're not getting something with existing problems. And test-drive it. Don't buy anything at face value. Take it on the interstate and get it up to 65 or 75 (whatever the speed limit in Ohio is now) and see if there's any vibration etc.
Thanks for the advice, as far as an agreement on my preorder. All I really have is a price breakdown of it, that shows my $500 deposit. From what I can see there is not commitment to actally buy it, this is not a "sale order" or contract.
The used gladiator I am looking at, the dealership has a 24 hour test drive policy. I was going to bring it home and drive it to work the next day. In all I'll get about 100 miles on it in that timespan and get a chance to craw all over it.
It's Carfax says it's from Florida, and it was purchased new in mid 2021. The way I look at it, there can't be all that much wrong with it.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
I ordered a Gladiator back in April, and have been patiently waiting. Its actually built now, just waiting on delivery.... except now I am seeing Gladiators are popping up on the used market at a reasonable price. The only reason I pre-ordered a new one, I literally could not find a single one at that time that had the limited amount of options that I was looking for (i ordered a sport S Manual), and they would take less than MSRP. It was a no brainer to just order a new one and pay MSRP.
Well things have changed, and I feel we are seeing the bottom begin to fall out of the Used Car Market. I have sense spotted 2, better optioned Gladators that I am interested in, and far cheaper than MSRP. So much so, it would be saving me over $5K to take one of these used ones with less than 20k miles and they have fare more options!
My real question here is, how pissed is the dealership going to be when I walk away from my pre-order. I do have a $500 deposit on it. Of course I would like my deposit back, but I'm willing to walk away from that if its going to save me in the long run. They made it clear when ordering that they want MSRP+fee's+freight+tax for it, so I highly doubt they will negotiate at all on price.
I don't feel toooo bad about walking away from as dealership have been making money hand over fist for several years now. Im sure they can off my gladi to someone else that walks in the door.
I ordered 2/25 and it's stuck at a railhead about 200 miles east. I've been considering it now that it's over four months out, but it's so close... I would never consider my dealers feelings about anything. They are a bottom line corporation and could care less about customers other than getting their money. You'll lose 500, but gain a Gladiator closer to what you want and at MSRP. Sounds good to me.

Digger70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Altitude
Thanks for the advice, as far as an agreement on my preorder. All I really have is a price breakdown of it, that shows my $500 deposit. From what I can see there is not commitment to actally buy it, this is not a "sale order" or contract.
The used gladiator I am looking at, the dealership has a 24 hour test drive policy. I was going to bring it home and drive it to work the next day. In all I'll get about 100 miles on it in that timespan and get a chance to craw all over it.
It's Carfax says it's from Florida, and it was purchased new in mid 2021. The way I look at it, there can't be all that much wrong with it.
If the Carfax is up to date, that's good then.

Sponsored

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Corporate Tool
Well, whatever you decide, just make sure you 100% have another Gladiator secured before you start burning bridges. No one can force you to buy anything obviously, but there's no sense in mucking up something you've been waiting this long for.

And, for what it's worth, factory warranties are a thing. It's impossible to put a tangible dollar value on them, but it's never been 0 in my experience.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Look through the threads on Extended Warranties. I would definitely get one (Max Care) if you decide to go used. Unless you're able to contact the previous owner, you never know what you're going to get. It could be someone was just trading up, and it could be a problem someone was getting rid of.

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
Personally I would wait until the truck is on the way, say a week or two out, and talk to your sales person. Tell him/her that this is just a business decision and it wouldn't make good business sense for you to pay the price. It's nothing personal, just business. Give them the opportunity to adjust their price, maybe they will so they don't have to go through the process of reselling. If they don't, then go through the process to cancel. Don't let it get emotional at all, don't let them talk about some sob story, this is just business. Obviously you don't get emotional either and start in with saying how sorry you are, business is business.

Side note, if they want to get offended, then don't ever do business with them again. Contrary to what some will say, corporations are not people, and should understand the business decision you are making. I suspect they will drop the price to get you to buy.

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
Walk away from the $500 and start over by ordering at 13+% below MSRP / 5-7% below invoice at any dealer plastered all over the forum. Buying a slightly used gladiator to save only $5k off MSRP would be incredibly foolish. Leave that $500 with your local dealer to hopefully salvage the relationship you’ll have with the service department.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

Be aware there's no rule that says any shop has to report things......... so don't rely only on carfax. There are at least 2 or 3 other services you can look into.

Whoever gets my 2020 will be getting a damned nice and reliable truck with zero issues - but you don't know if someone traded or unloaded due to death wobble, engine issues (the 3.6 tick) or other problems - so I'd look at a warranty.
Some, like me, trade just because - others trade to get rid of gremlins. And if there are gremlins, know that it won't show up in carfax.
If I was trading mine because of steering issues, valve train issues or endless electrical bugs - it's not going to show up.

Don't rely on "because carfax says this........." that it's complete or correct. It's just a good place to start. Typically, if carfax says there's issues - you need to look into those issues because repairs can be reported that are not due to accident but the shop that reported the repairs didn't explain.

CYA.

As far as "deposit" - it can go either way. The paperwork may say if it's refundable or not.

I got my 2020 for a better price because I showed them another dealer's pricing on the exact same thing and told them if they knocked a couple grand off, I'd write the check, otherwise I was walking away. They knocked the money off.
Unsold orders don't look good, apparently?!
Sponsored