Sponsored

What Lizard is this?

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
So, we have normal “cute” little gecko like lizards, the ones that go from almost translucent to bright green; however, what the HECK is this??

It was huge and nasty looking! It’s head was very snake-like!

yes, I killed it. My daughter saw it, had no choice or she’d never have slept.

14921597-3C80-4922-AFA3-A9861F4A761E.jpeg
Sponsored

Lucky

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Project Manager
Looks like a Skink - There are several varieties - Their skin is more snake-like (smooth and glossy) than other lizards.

OP
OP

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Looks like a broadhead skink. Harmless insect eater. Please don't kill wildlife.
we have plenty more. Our ecosystem won’t miss this.

“Killin’ is m’business, and business is gooooood!”

PS just killed a few moccasins at our HOA pond. We left the look-a-like water snakes alone.

PSS your daughter is afraid of something? Even if she knows it’s harmless? You take it out.

PSSS you must not have daughters. ;)

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
I'd tell my daughter suck it up, buttercup if she was afraid of wildlife outdoors but she wasn't raised to fear it. Wildlife belongs in the wild and I try to impart a respect for nature. If we kill it, we eat it.
J1nysxM.jpg

Sponsored

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kawasaki Z125, 2016 Yamaha WR250R, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
If you are in the US, there are two "dangerous" lizards. The Mexican Beaded and the Gila Monster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_beaded_lizard
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gila_monster

While they should be avoided, please do not kill them or any other lizards you are fortunate enough to see. Not only are they generally harmless, they are all extremely beneficial to have around, unless you enjoy being attacked by insects. Venomous snakes, I get it. Harmless lizards? C'mon man.

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kawasaki Z125, 2016 Yamaha WR250R, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
I'd tell my daughter suck it up, buttercup if she was afraid of wildlife outdoors but she wasn't raised to fear it. Wildlife belongs in the wild and I try to impart a respect for nature. If we kill it, we eat it.
J1nysxM.jpg
This is the way! My kids love animals and learning about them. Here is my son with a cicada and my daughter with a newt.
Jeep Gladiator What Lizard is this? 20210803_161322
Jeep Gladiator What Lizard is this? 20210612_124139

gouacats

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM; JK; WK2
If you are in the US, there are two "dangerous" lizards. The Mexican Beaded and the Gila Monster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_beaded_lizard
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gila_monster

While they should be avoided, please do not kill them or any other lizards you are fortunate enough to see. Not only are they generally harmless, they are all extremely beneficial to have around, unless you enjoy being attacked by insects. Venomous snakes, I get it. Harmless lizards? C'mon man.
I saw a Gila monster on my MTB ride this past weekend. I always dig seeing them in the wild! Seems like I only see one every couple of years.

77118C8F-E77A-4F4A-9678-CCF438BC26C5.jpeg

AngryIrishman

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Defense Contractor
we have plenty more. Our ecosystem won’t miss this.

“Killin’ is m’business, and business is gooooood!”

PS just killed a few moccasins at our HOA pond. We left the look-a-like water snakes alone.

PSS your daughter is afraid of something? Even if she knows it’s harmless? You take it out.

PSSS you must not have daughters. ;)

No, no you don't....nope. It's a lizard, not a rattlesnake. Even then, there is usually a way to avoid an issue and not kill the creature. Lame.

Sponsored

OP
OP

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Jeep Gladiator What Lizard is this? C5B21CB9-7BCE-4AF1-BAE9-76A246B51FA9
Nice Turkey!

One of my girls hunts. The other two just like to shoot.

OP
OP

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD

No, no you don't....nope. It's a lizard, not a rattlesnake. Even then, there is usually a way to avoid an issue and not kill the creature. Lame.
Sure do! Roaches too!

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
Please don't double down on defending ignorance. Wild animals are not a house roach and most importantly, they are where they belong, and not in your house. And before you feel like I'm calling you stupid, I'm not. We are ALL ignorant on some things. Like me and off roading or many things mechanical for example; but I'm endeavoring to learn. I do know a lot about native wildlife, and you could probably teach me so many things about my Jeep and mechanics that it would make my head spin. This is a learning opportunity and shouldn't be a fight.

I maintain that this could have been an incredible opportunity to snap a photo and google
what it might be. Oh, a harmless broadhead skink? You could have safely picked it up without gloves if you were gentle about it and had a really cool teaching moment for your daughter. Not only both learn something (and pass that knowledge down through generations), but assuage fear of things that live outside that you can't readily identify. The knee-jerk reaction to seeing wildlife you don't know what is can be figuring it out rather than destroying it. I don't want to be an ass and I am really trying here not to be condescending.

OP
OP

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Please don't double down on defending ignorance. Wild animals are not a house roach and most importantly, they are where they belong, and not in your house. And before you feel like I'm calling you stupid, I'm not. We are ALL ignorant on some things. Like me and off roading or many things mechanical for example; but I'm endeavoring to learn. I do know a lot about native wildlife, and you could probably teach me so many things about my Jeep and mechanics that it would make my head spin. This is a learning opportunity and shouldn't be a fight.

I maintain that this could have been an incredible opportunity to snap a photo and google
what it might be. Oh, a harmless broadhead skink? You could have safely picked it up without gloves if you were gentle about it and had a really cool teaching moment for your daughter. Not only both learn something (and pass that knowledge down through generations), but assuage fear of things that live outside that you can't readily identify. The knee-jerk reaction to seeing wildlife you don't know what is can be figuring it out rather than destroying it. I don't want to be an ass and I am really trying here not to be condescending.
I hear you. But for my kid, it would be alive.

I was literally leaving (driving) to go out of town. My wife was leaving the hospital to meet me (also driving).

First time to leave my two younger kids at home.
For their peace, may the lizard Rest In Peace.

I am not ignorant about the benefits and harm with regard to wildlife and conservation of the same.

Would I do the same again, with the same situation I was in? Yes.
Sponsored