Sponsored

What to plan for... keeping back hard top off extended period.

OP
OP
Professor_Chaos

Professor_Chaos

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw x4, bmw 330xi, jeep Gladiator willys
Occupation
Homemaker
I always left it outside. I had the floor plugs out so not much water where your feet were, but I would have to open the tailgate so water would drain out. The Jeep always faced a little up hill. It is doable and not really that bad. I had a twenty mile one way commute to work and it was my primary transportation. I'd say give it go, you can always put things back together.
Thank you. Probably just needed to hear it would be ok, lol. All of my transportation has had a roof and doors.
Sponsored

BlamBlamTheMonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Vehicle Showcase
Cool. Did you keep in your carpet? Plugs?

Just sprinkles? Never got caught in a bad one?
Mud mats, and had to take the plug out a few times. Caught in some real rain, but never for very long. First time it feels real weird and scary, but the Jeep was ok. Once, the radio just didnt work right during the rain, but was fine the next day.

marcwithac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow
Are all the electronic inside 100% waterproof?

OP
OP
Professor_Chaos

Professor_Chaos

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homemaker
Are all the electronic inside 100% waterproof?
I don't know about waterproof. Water resistant for sure. I got a sport model just for that reason though (among others). Don't want to worry about that stuff.

I could be remembering something else or just incorrectly but I think I read something about being able to spray it all out with a hose if needed. Dash and all.

Double check that before taking my word. Maybe I just read that someone did. 🥴😎

Last edited:

Sponsored

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I'll check it out. Thanks. Guess the idea would be to slow the water down? Or does it end up pooling a lil bit then coming in around the sides? That would be undesirable 🤔
Hard to say from my perspective. Being from AZ, the sky doesn’t fall very often, if ever. I got this more for the direct sun on myself and the interior.

OP
OP
Professor_Chaos

Professor_Chaos

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homemaker
Hard to say from my perspective. Being from AZ, the sky doesn’t fall very often, if ever. I got this more for the direct sun on myself and the interior.
My sky falls often enough. Not too worried about it if I can keep the front seats kinda dryish though.

Thanks

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3, '79 CJ5, '21 JT Sport S manual.
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
I have the top and doors off and will likely run with my tube doors until late October. I have the cab cover from Mastertop and find it stupid easy to put on and take off, I do it every day when I get to work and when I get home mainly to keep sap and critters out. Takes maybe two minutes to put on or take off. Definitely get one! We get rain through July and into August so I'll see what happens but I'm not too worried. We occasionally get heavy rain but not in biblical proportions or that shit Missouri throws at you. I also have a bikini top for those treacherous downpours when I have to drive. I think if I was overly concerned then I probably wouldn't have bought a Jeep. Yeah it's nice, yeah I paid too much for it, and yeah I intend to die before it does, but it's still just a truck.

I will say this, I hadn't considered just the front panels, but that's a brilliantly easy solution. I just assumed that they needed the main top to attach to. Guess not. Also, the idea of a partial tonneau for the rear seats is something I'd throw money at in a heartbeat. Does that exist and why the hell not?

OP
OP
Professor_Chaos

Professor_Chaos

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homemaker
I think if I was overly concerned then I probably wouldn't have bought a Jeep. Yeah it's nice, yeah I paid too much for it, and yeah I intend to die before it does, but it's still just a truck.
Bingo

Sponsored

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Naked till October if weather holds that long. PAC NW so you never know.
What's involved removing carpet? Might consider it.

Jeep Gladiator What to plan for... keeping back hard top off extended period. PXL_20210420_221604954

Terminus33

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Cherokee
Occupation
Pool Tech
I do know they tested the jeep with all doors and tops off in a mist room for I think over 72 hours and everything had to function afterwards, So I think a few rainstorms should be fine. The 30" water fording mark is actually 30" and lower has to be waterproof, 30" and above has to be water resistant on the whole jeep.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
My LJ spent about 6 plus months a year with out top or doors when I lived in S.E. GA.
So Do pull drain plugs, the carpet is supposed to drain water (???) I had pulled it out and stored the carpet, pollen, dust, leaves and critters came and went. Nothing like driving 55 MPH or so and a spider rappelling down on your leg on a dark night...
when you're just wearing loose cargo shorts.🤪 Been there many times.😁 Sun fades seats, seat hardware will rust some. Now if you have a garage is a big plus or a cover. I almost always kept a plastic tarp and bungy cords to do a quick cover in my LJ if running with out top. Do keep a towel to dry windshield "inside" in a cheap dry bag.

OP
OP
Professor_Chaos

Professor_Chaos

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Homemaker
What's involved removing carpet? Might consider it.

PXL_20210420_221604954.jpg
I've only done the rear so far but that involved removing both seats, the tub, bolt holder and jack... then I just sliced straight across under the rear all weather mats and gave it a lil tug.

Took maybe 30 40 minutes. I'm guessing the front carpet is about the same.

Might be able to just strong arm the thing out with a box cutter and cave man pulling without removing anything but I wanted to keep it in usable condition since it was a day old and I was taking out the seats anyhow.

Jeep Gladiator What to plan for... keeping back hard top off extended period. 20210401_172122

Curious... anyone know what the two white boxes on each side are? They annoy me and stand out.

Btw. I have more pics of it in various states during the de and re construction, if anyone has interest lmk

Last edited:

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I've only done the rear so far but that involved removing both seats, the tub, bolt holder and jack... then I just sliced straight across under the rear all weather mats and gave it a lil tug.

Took maybe 30 40 minutes. I'm guessing the front carpet is about the same.

Might be able to just strong arm the thing out with a box cutter and cave man pulling without removing anything but I wanted to keep it in usable condition since it was a day old and I was taking out the seats anyhow.

Jeep Gladiator What to plan for... keeping back hard top off extended period. 20210401_172122

Curious... anyone know what the two white boxes on each side are? They annoy me and stand out.

Btw. I have more pics of it in various states during the de and re construction, if anyone has interest lmk
Those boxes are interesting. Yes, is love to see more pics.

Thanks?
Sponsored