First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Is it just me, or do we seem to get a lot of conspiracy theory-type threads on this forum? The “can’t haul plywood”, “tonneau won’t latch”, “60,000 government orders first”, now “back windows blow out”...what else?
No conspiracy, it's in the owners manual. Not to exceed 50 mph with the 2 freedom panels off and the rest of the roof on. As for the doors off, not sure. It's FCA's way of protecting themselves with a disclaimer. Chance of it happening, probably really low, but it must be a possibility if they have the warning I guess. This info is from my wife's 2 door JK's owners manual.
Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
No conspiracy, it's in the owners manual. Not to exceed 50 mph with the 2 freedom panels off and the rest of the roof on. As for the doors off, not sure. It's FCA's way of protecting themselves with a disclaimer. Chance of it happening, probably really low, but it must be a possibility if they have the warning I guess. This info is from my wife's 2 door JK's owners manual.
You just created another one! It says not to drive with the rear hard top window “up” (meaning open) unless the quarter windows are also removed. This is to prevent carbon monoxide from entering the rear window from the exhaust...
If you want to get technical, it says not to operate the vehicle on road with the doors or door frames removed...
If I’m incorrect on these things, will someone please post a screen shot from the manual?

Last edited:

Chukronos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
That's weird with the freedom tops being the equivalent of a sunroof. My 2008 JK 4 door manual doesn't say that at all. It does say that with the sunrider top open, they recommend opening the rear window above 40mph.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Is it just me, or do we seem to get a lot of conspiracy theory-type threads on this forum? The “can’t haul plywood”, “tonneau won’t latch”, “60,000 government orders first”, now “back windows blow out”...what else?
It’s not just you - it’s better now that there’s more info out, but there was a while back there when every other post seemed to be ‘ZOMG - nobody at Jeep thought of this super important thing that I thought of - they’re all so stupid!’

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
That's weird with the freedom tops being the equivalent of a sunroof. My 2008 JK 4 door manual doesn't say that at all. It does say that with the sunrider top open, they recommend opening the rear window above 40mph.
Sunroofs are a lot smaller than the freedom tops, and they also generally have pop-up wind management pieces that work with the vehicles’ aerodynamics to reduce things like exploding rear windows and buffeting.

That said, I’ve owned several t-top cars that never had any warnings about stuff like this. It’s either CYA because they can, or there’s something about the Jeep aero that makes it risky.

Anyone know anyone who’s had a rear window blow out of a wrangler? I don’t, and I wouldn’t worry about it happening either..

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Sunroofs are a lot smaller than the freedom tops, and they also generally have pop-up wind management pieces that work with the vehicles’ aerodynamics to reduce things like exploding rear windows...It’s either CYA because they can, or there’s something about the Jeep aero that makes it risky.

Anyone know anyone who’s had a rear window blow out of a wrangler? I don’t, and I wouldn’t worry about it happening either..
I think the whole idea is an internet myth...

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Something has been keeping me up at night.... lol. On my current 2017 JKU, most people know that if you run with the doors off and the hardtop on, you run the risk of blowing out your back window from the excess air pressure at highway speeds. Looking at the Gladiator, the rear hardtop window, it seems awfully small, as in not large enough to allow enough air to pass through to alleviate the pressure issue. I currently only run my soft top in the summer just so I can run with the doors off, back window out. Hoping I don’t have to buy the dual top option! Any thoughts from people smarter than me??
Just get the soft top and don’t worry about it
I'm assuming if the soft top rear window didn't explode, the glass hardtop one wouldn't either.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I read on instagram that the small secondary battery has been known to explode when you hit 88mph in the Gladiator. This has been reported by 3 different reviewers on youtube. Here's one, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akrickala93cdrollaq

Last edited:

Dietruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE, 2004 Z06, 2021 Model Y

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The soft top can be run without the back window, unlike the hard top, so it doesn’t matter.
Lol, well if this pressure thing were real, you could just open the beer window on the hard top.

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, well if this pressure thing were real, you could just open the beer window on the hard top.
nope, opening the beer window with half the top off and doors off creates a disruption in the polar vortex and will cause your gps navigation to give inaccurate directions.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nope, opening the beer window with half the top off and doors off creates a disruption in the polar vortex and will cause your gps navigation to give inaccurate directions.
I was worried about that. That's why I bought a spare Flux capacitor from Doc. Brown Enterprises. Now my blinker fluid is always full. :idea:

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase