First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
My brother has a 1997 TJ that hasn't had those things in it since about a day after it was new. Hinges are still fine. And the door isn't just going to fly off in a wreck; it's still held in by a lot of other things.
Sponsored

Clendennan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired
Not telling anyone else what to do - just explaining why _I_ will be putting them back in place.
I've seen enough carnage and body parts ripped up to last me for my remaining years while working in a shop that ran 24/7 wrecker service with two wreckers (and the likes of what happened with my sister-in-law) - and repaired enough door hinges on cars and trucks. Just me - do whatever.
For some folks it won't matter.
I do a mix, i usually leave them on until i take the doors off for the first time in the year, Then around late November I put them back on for the Winter months. So if theres wear I get some but not a ton. I like the idea of keeping the road salt out of there.

Jeepnoob34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I do a mix, i usually leave them on until i take the doors off for the first time in the year, Then around late November I put them back on for the Winter months. So if theres wear I get some but not a ton. I like the idea of keeping the road salt out of there.
I wouldn’t be opposed to putting them back in during the colder months. Ohio weather is so unpredictable. I remove my doors almost weekly. At least the front doors.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My brother has a 1997 TJ that hasn't had those things in it since about a day after it was new. Hinges are still fine. And the door isn't just going to fly off in a wreck; it's still held in by a lot of other things.
"A lot of other things"? A lot?

If there's a lot of things holding it, why do they bother with the "nuts" on the bottom?
Just wondering as I suspect 18 gauge and smaller copper wire won't do much to hold it.

But again, it's your Jeep......... you do whatever you wish with it.
I've just seen so many more wreck results than almost anyone else here, when my doors are on, they will be secured. (besides, things like doors get stolen.......a friend had roof panels stolen a few years back.
I was just stating what I'm going to do and why I'm doing it. Nothing more.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn’t be opposed to putting them back in during the colder months. Ohio weather is so unpredictable. I remove my doors almost weekly. At least the front doors.
And that makes sense. A person needs to weigh all of the things involved.
Our weather isn't so different according to a lady in the Cleveland area my wife plays "Word with Friends" with - we warn her about the weather we just had and quite often she tells us when it arrives there.
Yup - unpredictable is one word for it. After last Monday's storm from HELL - I'd call it something else. (we even made national news with winds over cat 1 hurricane strength covering a big chunk of the state)

Sponsored

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
My only concern is that those pieces are actually wear points. With them out, the door hinge pins have a lot less wear surface to work on. Vibration, dirt, wear, what's left inside that hinge loop is a lot less surface area. So I'd expect premature hinge wear.
That may or may not matter, depending on how long you keep vehicles, how or where you drive them and so on. Not a lot of dirt, dust and vibrations or rough roads, likely no wear issues.
If it was me, I'd at least want something in there to extend the pin down to prevent all the pressure being on a lot less pin surface (and metal, NOT plastic like those extenders made to make putting doors back on easier)
I need to look again but I don't think the nuts are part of the bearing surface. I know on my JK I never noticed any signs of rotational wear on them. They make replaceable Delrin sleeves for the inside of the hinge and I don't think they are long enough to make contact with the nut at the bottom. I guess I will check when I pull my doors to try out my new mirrors later today.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Weather there is so crazy. Doorless weather and snow in the same week, lol.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Ordered those pins yesterday and got them today. The ones I ordered are all the same length, so the top pins stick down quite a bit farther. I also wish they made them in black.

6EFD4D3D-87C0-4FE3-B1A1-007807CC9B5E.jpeg
Wonder if I plastidip them they would work

Jeepnoob34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Wonder if I plastidip them they would work
Probably not. There isn’t much play between the pins and hinges. Plus, the pd would probably scratch off after a few times.

Reactions: BAT

Sponsored

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
they don’t say for 2020? Something new?

I’d love to add those my to my gladiator
The reviews say they'll work on our Gladiators. I just now ordered a set so we'll see!

Jeepnoob34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
The reviews say they'll work on our Gladiators. I just now ordered a set so we'll see!
I have them on mine. They fit fine. They are all one length, so your top hinge pins will come through the bottom more. I posted pics earlier in the thread of these.
Sponsored