First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I've never been careful, but then, I've only removed them twice. Once on each JK I owned, and never put them back. I just took a right-angle impact and zipped them right off.
Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Until I saw someone in my owners' group on Facebook mention it, I didn't realize people didn't put them back in. I had always put them back in my JKU.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why do you need to be very careful taking them out?
Super close to painted parts. Really easy to drag the ratchet on there if you are not careful.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
The tools that come with the Jeep are rubber covered. It's pretty hard to ding the paint with a ratchet anyway, I've been ham-fisted on other bolts and accidentally tried. Particularly under the hood, I don't much care, and it never hurts the paint. I wouldn't worry much about it.

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
Ok. I've never had to be particularly careful with any of my previous Jeeps. I didn't know if there was something specific to the Gladiator I was unaware of and needed to watch out for. :)

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
It's a fragile little bitch! No seriously, after three Jeeps (2013, 15, 20) I'm surprised how much abuse I can hit this paint with and nothing shows. I had body damage on my 15, never broke the paint!

Jeep Gladiator Doors off/doors on Screenshot_6_3_20__11_06_AM

Sponsored

Capt. B

First Name
Captain B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Galdiator, 2002 Jeep Wrangler 2DR Gobi Edition
Doors are off from March to late September. If it rains the Gladiator stays home or if I get caught out it gets wet.

Timdog

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator JT

PEI-Gladys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JTR
Occupation
Ed Tech
Ty for the heads up I appreciate this,.. finally something I can order in Canada.. it’s bin so frustrating lately trying to purchase stuff with the exchange rate being crap & or the shipping cost being outrageous
@Timdog, being in PEI, I have to agree with the exchange rates and shipping costs to Canada. It would be great if you could post again when you receive them. I'll be curious to see if one is longer than the other. (top and bottom hinge) Cheers!

Timdog

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator JT
@Timdog, being in PEI, I have to agree with the exchange rates and shipping costs to Canada. It would be great if you could post again when you receive them. I'll be curious to see if one is longer than the other. (top and bottom hinge) Cheers!
I will for sure

Sponsored

PEI-Gladys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JTR
Occupation
Ed Tech
Update on these.. glad these are actually plastic id rather hit paint with plastic than metal & they work great in helping line up the doorsHighly Recommended
Thanks for the update.... interesting take on the plastic. Do you think they will stand or hold up with use?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My only concern is that those pieces are actually wear points. With them out, the door hinge pins have a lot less wear surface to work on. Vibration, dirt, wear, what's left inside that hinge loop is a lot less surface area. So I'd expect premature hinge wear.
That may or may not matter, depending on how long you keep vehicles, how or where you drive them and so on. Not a lot of dirt, dust and vibrations or rough roads, likely no wear issues.
If it was me, I'd at least want something in there to extend the pin down to prevent all the pressure being on a lot less pin surface (and metal, NOT plastic like those extenders made to make putting doors back on easier)

My sister-in-law was driving through downtown Des Moines a few years ago in her Blazer. An idiot blew a light (and moving well over speed limit) and t-boned her SUV and flipped it over on the driver side and it slid across 4 lanes before coming to a stop - in a JT the door would have come off grinding her on the pavement where with the Blazer it just shredded her arm as the impact busted out the glass and threw her arm out the window as the vehicle landed on the left side.

Having seen the sorts of accidents I've seen, I think I'll be putting those pieces back in place - for that and for the added wear and stress on what's left of the pins after the fasteners are removed. I plan on making up a better tool for the job, with padding, and even that Jeep "ratchet" can mark up the paint if that bit slips out.

Not telling anyone else what to do - just explaining why _I_ will be putting them back in place.
I've seen enough carnage and body parts ripped up to last me for my remaining years while working in a shop that ran 24/7 wrecker service with two wreckers (and the likes of what happened with my sister-in-law) - and repaired enough door hinges on cars and trucks. Just me - do whatever.
For some folks it won't matter.
Sponsored