Jobofly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2022 JTM
Hey everyone,

I am so looking forward to spring so I can get this Jeep naked. My dog goes with my to a lot of places. I was wondering how you all are keeping your dogs safe and in the gladiator when you have the top and doors off?
Sponsored

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
My dog has always ridden shotgun in my Jeeps. We used to cruise along at 65mph on road trips, then one day I was riding passenger and felt just how slippy the leather is when not holding the wheel so on the hwy now that he's older he hops in the back seat if we're moving at any speed. Looking back I am very grateful we never had an incident :)

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

JTR178

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
5-0
We picked up one of these to keep our dog from bouncing around too much on the trail and it worked great. Pretty sure if we adjust it to the proper length and use the center buckle it should easily keep her inside with doors off on the trail. I don't know how I would feel about regular use at roadway speeds though.

Edit to add: You would definitely want to use this with a harness hooked on the chest attachment point.

Last edited:

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
I'm getting a new 6m old puppy next week, she was rescued in TX and will be transported up to NJ. So I have been looking into this issue specifically, traveling in my Mojave.

Best solution I personally could find is to put her in the back seat on a doggie seat (a cushion which lays across the seats and leaves the seat belt sockets accessible), put a harness on the dog (NOT a color for this), and tether her with a doggy "seat belt" which connects btwn the harness and plugs into the car seatbelt socket.

Pawsafe seems to be a good place to buy these:
https://pawsafe.com/

And Amazon has a variety too.

I haven't tested them yet though.

I'd love to hear if anyone has alternate/better solutions...

But, IMO, if your dog isn't (at least) tethered in this or some other manner while you are driving you are putting it at GRAVE risk.

-Joe

Sponsored

Mflowers11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Hi Alt, 2017 Wrangler, Rcky Mtn
Occupation
Finance
Just don’t do it. No matter how good your dog is eventually there will be something that gets its attention. It just takes a little slip or misplaced paw off the edge of the seat and a bump in the road, your dog will go flying out the door…. My wife is a Vet and she has seen some pretty sad situations that could have been prevented.

One option you could consider if your dog isn’t to big would be to put the back seat down and strap a kennel in. You could also get a back seat delete and put a kennel there.

BUZZHEAD

First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JEEP RUBICAN GLADIATOR ,2016 HD SLIMS
Occupation
WEED PULLER
I'm getting a new 6m old puppy next week, she was rescued in TX and will be transported up to NJ. So I have been looking into this issue specifically, traveling in my Mojave.

Best solution I personally could find is to put her in the back seat on a doggie seat (a cushion which lays across the seats and leaves the seat belt sockets accessible), put a harness on the dog (NOT a color for this), and tether her with a doggy "seat belt" which connects btwn the harness and plugs into the car seatbelt socket.

Pawsafe seems to be a good place to buy these:
https://pawsafe.com/

And Amazon has a variety too.

I haven't tested them yet though.

I'd love to hear if anyone has alternate/better solutions...

But, IMO, if your dog isn't (at least) tethered in this or some other manner while you are driving you are putting it at GRAVE risk.

-Joe
That is what I bought for my 6 month shepherd -2 in the pack to hook to seatbelt and the no pull harness.
Works great

OP
OP
Jobofly

Jobofly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2022 JTM
Thanks everyone. I do put his harness on and I have the seatbelt attachment. I was just curious if there was a better way to do it.

Sponsored

AdamH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Rubicon, 23 Wagoneer, 83 Scrambler
I leave back doors on and just take the fronts off , roll down back windows clip him in to center seat belt with above mentioned straps , top off an away we go
Exactly what I have done for years since 4 door Jeeps have come out. I use the seat belt attachment on a chest collar

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
Thanks everyone. I do put his harness on and I have the seatbelt attachment. I was just curious if there was a better way to do it.
I would recommend something that clips to the car seat tether spot. I have the seat belt clip style (fairly inexpensive ) but the dog can actually step on the button releasing the tether. They also sell cross bed tethers with a clip in the middle so the dog can ride in the back truck bed. When I have a full load the kennel goes in the back and i strap it down. Especially when i go to the beach and the dog gets wet.

ToJTornottoJT

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1997 Jeep XJ
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser/Broker

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I’ve got a seatbelt harness for my lab.

SpeedNeed

First Name
Speed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon, S4, Panamera
2/22/23 USA Today

*Florida bill would ban dogs from sticking their heads out car windows*

A bill moving through the Florida legislature would prohibit dogs from putting their heads[/URL] out of car windows.

The measure includes various animal-welfare regulations: penalizing cat declawing, banning certain animal testing, prohibiting rabbit sales before Easter and requiring the Florida Department of Law Enforcement to post an online registry of convicted animal abuses.

According to the bill, drivers wouldn't be allowed to hold a dog in their lap, and dogs wouldn't be allowed to put their head or any other body part outside a car window.

The bill calls for pets to be restrained with a harness, seat belt, or if possible, to be held by a passenger.

If a dog is being transported in the bed of a truck, they must be restrained by using a crate that is safely secured and large enough to allow the dog to turn around normally.

Those who violate the new provisions would receive a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation.
Sponsored