First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0, 2012 jk
Occupation
Military
Im trying to save some money by going with a willy's and then upgrading lockers and such instead of the extra 5k or so for a rubi.... that being said what types of lockers are people liking? im kinda interested in doing an OX locker for the rear but im not very well versed in lockers as it is and would like to chat about this. So whats everyone's thoughts?
What's your favorite kind of locker and why?
Sponsored

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
Im trying to save some money by going with a willy's and then upgrading lockers and such instead of the extra 5k or so for a rubi.... that being said what types of lockers are people liking? im kinda interested in doing an OX locker for the rear but im not very well versed in lockers as it is and would like to chat about this. So whats everyone's thoughts?
What's your favorite kind of locker and why?
Did you already buy the Willys? If not, I would suggest just going with the Rubicon. If you are looking at a locker immediately and will be using the Jeep off road you may end up better off with the additional Rubicon bits including the 4:1 transfer case, both front and rear lockers and swaybar disconnect. Not to mention the resale value that will be better on the Rubi over a modified Willys. thats not to say you cant build what you want with a lower starting level but if you know immediately you will use the off road parts why not just buy them up front?
As for lockers I have had a good experience with ARB air lockers on a past Jeep. And the onboard air is a nice add.
I own both a Rubicon Gladiator and a JK Willys and much prefer the Rubicon transfer case and simplicity of the off road components when running trails.

OP
OP

Dyzard

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0, 2012 jk
Occupation
Military
Did you already buy the Willys? If not, I would suggest just going with the Rubicon. If you are looking at a locker immediately and will be using the Jeep off road you may end up better off with the additional Rubicon bits including the 4:1 transfer case, both front and rear lockers and swaybar disconnect. Not to mention the resale value that will be better on the Rubi over a modified Willys. thats not to say you cant build what you want with a lower starting level but if you know immediately you will use the off road parts why not just buy them up front?
As for lockers I have had a good experience with ARB air lockers on a past Jeep. And the onboard air is a nice add.
I own both a Rubicon Gladiator and a JK Willys and much prefer the Rubicon transfer case and simplicity of the off road components when running trails.

i have not bought yet. On deployment right now and looking to get it when I get back. Ive been really eyeing doing the diesel so regardless if it is willys or rubi itll be the 3.73 if i remember correctly. And youre not wrong having the on board air is nice, especially since i plan on adding it anyways for tire fill ups and such. but im really sold on the diesel just because ive wanted a diesel in jeep for a long time and i had test driven the JL diesel's and loved it. so thats why I am more leaning towards the Willy's, unless the Dana 44 wide is an extreme difference between the willys Dana 44. but I havent looked that much into it. plus getting the willy's saves a good couple thousand and my downpayment will go that much further lol. I used to have a 08 jk that had the electric lockers. Which is kinda why Im leaning towards the OX lockers. just that manual click knowing its engaging is different then the push of a button for me but I have always heard good things on teh ARB air lockers. But yeah that explains a little better at where im at.

TomH

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
IT
I had a TJ with a Ford 8.8 rear that I installed a Detroit locker in. I really liked the Detroit, but it is always there. You can't turn it on and off. Road manners change a bit. I will go will a Detroit in my JT Sport as the build progresses. I am like you in that I wanted to keep the purchase price down and add things as I go. The selectable lockers are really nice, but that ability also adds a failure point.

OP
OP

Dyzard

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0, 2012 jk
Occupation
Military
I had a TJ with a Ford 8.8 rear that I installed a Detroit locker in. I really liked the Detroit, but it is always there. You can't turn it on and off. Road manners change a bit. I will go will a Detroit in my JT Sport as the build progresses. I am like you in that I wanted to keep the purchase price down and add things as I go. The selectable lockers are really nice, but that ability also adds a failure point.
I think that's why I'm looking into the ox lockers seems to have the least amount of failure points, if it fails you just replace the cable from my understanding of it.

And yeah Detroit lockers are amazing but this will also be a daily driver for me so not looking to have it always locked up. But thinking if I do an ox in the rear and then idk yet on the front hm

Sponsored

TomH

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
IT
I think that's why I'm looking into the ox lockers seems to have the least amount of failure points, if it fails you just replace the cable from my understanding of it.

And yeah Detroit lockers are amazing but this will also be a daily driver for me so not looking to have it always locked up. But thinking if I do an ox in the rear and then idk yet on the front hm
I noticed the Detroit mostly in parking lots. Slow speed turns. At speed you couldn't really tell it was there.

OP
OP

Dyzard

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0, 2012 jk
Occupation
Military
I noticed the Detroit mostly in parking lots. Slow speed turns. At speed you couldn't really tell it was there.
Fair maybe I'll give them another look hmm

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
I went with a Sport S because I got it for 35. That leaves me at least 8-12 grand to play with to match the Rubicon price. So I’m essentially going to build a way better rig for off-roading for cheaper then a Rubicon. The low transfer case is very overrated especially with the 8 speed transmission. Your probably going to have to regear anyways to run bigger tires. ARB is the way to go.

Cape taco12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Guys I wheeled with had issues with wear overtime on street rigs with a ratcheting locker (Aussie and a lock rite?). If your on the road a lot you have to replace the pins and it becomes a wear item. Is the Detroit the same way?

In my old truck I had an elocker in the rear and with the front axle disconnect (FAD in these trucks) I ran a Aussie ratcheting front locker. On trails it was great with the ratchet, I had no issues turning while locked that some elocker guys had. In light snow/ice conditions with mud terrains I was better off in 2WD as I had the option of driver axle only or full locked. And you can’t steer well on slick roads like that unless you turn hard and stomp on it.

It depends on price difference between Rubicon and the trim you want but on a new DD truck go selectable lockers. I opted to not get the rubicon so If I get the wheeling bug again I will buy a beater that I can tow, so I don’t end up with a daily driver that looks like a raisin.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I own a drivetrain/suspension shop and could build anything up that I want and still chose Rubi! No matter what trim I built it up on the Jeep site and added in my time/ parts cost...It penciled out Rubicon.

The only aftermarket differential I'm aware of right now is the ARB which I'm not a huge fan of.....They are tough, but lots of failure points. Overall at work, I spend more time repairing leaks than I actually spend installing the ARB units. I've installed a few Ox lockers over the past 20 years and only one failure on a old skool D44 on 37's which is to be expected.....I do however hate that cable setup as none of these modern vehicles are easy to add things to the cockpit.

Had Eaton E-lockers or Truetracs been available, I probably would have chosen another trim level. I figured that if Eaton still hasnt stepped up to support the JKR axles with the issures they had with the elockers, they surely wouldn't do the JL/JT's either.

Sponsored

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
I own a drivetrain/suspension shop and could build anything up that I want and still chose Rubi! No matter what trim I built it up on the Jeep site and added in my time/ parts cost...It penciled out Rubicon.

The only aftermarket differential I'm aware of right now is the ARB which I'm not a huge fan of.....They are tough, but lots of failure points. Overall at work, I spend more time repairing leaks than I actually spend installing the ARB units. I've installed a few Ox lockers over the past 20 years and only one failure on a old skool D44 on 37's which is to be expected.....I do however hate that cable setup as none of these modern vehicles are easy to add things to the cockpit.

Had Eaton E-lockers or Truetracs been available, I probably would have chosen another trim level. I figured that if Eaton still hasnt stepped up to support the JKR axles with the issures they had with the elockers, they surely wouldn't do the JL/JT's either.
I was really set on adding a truetrac to my Sport S but that dream is slowly dying.... After a JKUR and Powerwagon that had locker solenoid and smartbar failures I decided against the rubi this time.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I was really set on adding a truetrac to my Sport S but that dream is slowly dying.... After a JKUR and Powerwagon that had locker solenoid and smartbar failures I decided against the rubi this time.
Maybe they will offer one. If the traction control works like it does in the JK's, Truetracs are really aggressive when tires slip. They work really well together!

My YJ went through Rubicon 3 times on Truetracs and I've installed many of them for people who did Moab every year and swear they did better than the locked up Rubi's as long as they applied the brakes in key spots.
Sponsored