Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, Gupton says Gorilla Glass is no longer available in the 2023.
2 possibilities as reasons:
Availability - there are still shortages, transportation issues, supply issues
and/or
Jeep found for a Wrangler or Gladiator, there wasn't any real advantage

The reasons for GG are weight savings and for occupant safety under certain types of impacts or collisions.
The windshields on these sit so close to a vertical plane they take more direct impacts in ordinary use than other windshields.

I bought for weight savings (big deal, the 2022 Overland has a much lower payload than the same 2020 version so it gained me zip) and for occupant safety since we use my JT as our main travel vehicle.
People don't try to understand what it is, and what it is not and blame GG or Jeep for any failings.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Strong…
Jeep Gladiator What's New for 2023: Jeep Gladiator - Model Summary 70780F3B-C455-4000-9DE2-D4FB66CDA50C
And that's the sort of case where the inner GG layer prevents shards of glass from getting to occupants. So it's serving it's purpose. If you thought it prevented cracks or chips - that's totally wrong. So don't blame the Gorilla Glass, blame lack of understanding and believing it was the OUTER layer that faced the bugs and rocks.

Sponsored

Roklimo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gecko Green Mojave
And that's the sort of case where the inner GG layer prevents shards of glass from getting to occupants. So it's serving it's purpose. If you thought it prevented cracks or chips - that's totally wrong. So don't blame the Gorilla Glass, blame lack of understanding and believing it was the OUTER layer that faced the bugs and rocks.
I don’t blame Gorilla glass. I think it does little, and costs little. If it did a lot, it would cost likewise.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer

Epb1981

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2011 corolla
Occupation
Fire Lieutenant
2 possibilities as reasons:
Availability - there are still shortages, transportation issues, supply issues
and/or
Jeep found for a Wrangler or Gladiator, there wasn't any real advantage

The reasons for GG are weight savings and for occupant safety under certain types of impacts or collisions.
The windshields on these sit so close to a vertical plane they take more direct impacts in ordinary use than other windshields.

I bought for weight savings (big deal, the 2022 Overland has a much lower payload than the same 2020 version so it gained me zip) and for occupant safety since we use my JT as our main travel vehicle.
People don't try to understand what it is, and what it is not and blame GG or Jeep for any failings.
Every windshield is required by law to be laminated for safety. The mopar gorilla glass windshield is advertised as being able to withstand chips and cracks better than the other glass found in stock windshields. Gorilla Glass Windshield | Official Mopar® Site

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Every windshield is required by law to be laminated for safety. The mopar gorilla glass windshield is advertised as being able to withstand chips and cracks better than the other glass found in stock windshields. Gorilla Glass Windshield | Official Mopar® Site
Yeah, I know - been mandated since sometime in the 30s. That's the era I noticed it in antique cars.
I've been in the auto industry for 5 decades and into classics and antiques.
I've also been involved in the butyl vs. urethane thing for classic cars.

If you'd seen my other posts and links to demonstrations of GG windshields, you'd see where I am coming from.
I don't give a rip what MOPAR says because if the GG layer is facing occupants, then the outer layer facing the bugs and rain is not GG. It's still going to chip and get sandblasted and be all sparkly after a few years.

Only one of the two layers of glass is GG - the one in the cabin, the other on the outside is soda lime glass.
The middle binding layer, the flexible layer, remains the same stuff.

People are buying this and assuming a warranty means it's chip proof and crack proof.
No way! It's less likely to suffer a a crack that means replacement, it's less likely to spiderweb, and it won't throw shards of glass in your face with a major impact............ but........
Even Corning says "two times more resistant" - not impervious, not that it will not crack, not that it will not chip, but it's more resistant.
That means it will resist certain impacts or certain types of impacts, and may resist cracking where an ordinary windshield would more easily crack.
But no one has said that it won't crack.
Out of 10 hits, where an ordinary windshield would crack 6 times out of those 10, GG would only crack 3 of those times, just for example.
When someone says their GG windshield chipped or cracked, they need to consider that it did NOT chip or crack other times when ordinary windshields would have cracked. In that time they'd have replaced 2 ordinary windshields and not just 1.

Jeep Gladiator What's New for 2023: Jeep Gladiator - Model Summary 1661791913786

It reduces the chances of damage. If you get hit, you have a better chance, but it's still gonna crack and chip. The biggest thing is that these windshields take that rock almost directly at a 90, it's not a glancing blow.
So there's a great chance that when they say a windshield is two times more resistant, they are referring to a Compass, Mustang, etc.

Jeep Gladiator What's New for 2023: Jeep Gladiator - Model Summary 1661792072440

Jeep Gladiator What's New for 2023: Jeep Gladiator - Model Summary 1661792127060

Skdmarc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave
Occupation
GM
What's New for 2023: Jeep® Gladiator

August 25, 2022 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - The 2023 Jeep® Gladiator, engineered from the ground up to be the most off-road capable Jeep truck ever, builds on a rich heritage of tough, dependable trucks with an unmatched combination of rugged utility, authentic Jeep design, open-air freedom, clever functionality and versatility.

Powertrain options include a 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine with engine stop-start (ESS) and a 3.0-liter EcoDiesel engine with ESS. Equipped with a versatile box, a body-on-frame design, front and rear five-link suspension system, solid axles and electronic lockers, Gladiator is one of the few midsize trucks to offer a six-speed manual transmission in addition to its available eight-speed automatic. Gladiator is built to handle the demands of an active lifestyle while delivering an open-air driving experience in a design that is unmistakably Jeep.

A multitude of technology features, such as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and safety features, such as Blind-spot Monitoring and Rear Cross Path detection, adaptive cruise control and Forward Collision Warning-Plus, enhance Gladiator’s appeal. Combining traditional Jeep attributes with strong truck credentials, the Jeep Gladiator is a unique vehicle with unsurpassed capability.

New for 2023:
  • The Jeep Gladiator Freedom special edition includes capability enhancements and unique exterior features, such as an Oscar Mike badge on the rear tailgate, LED headlamps and fog lamps, body-color fender flares, winch-capable steel front and rear bumpers, steel rock rails, black wheels and accents and an American flag decal along the side of each vehicle. Inside, the Gladiator Freedom special edition boasts leather-trimmed cloth seats and black accent stitching
  • New Capability Package for High Altitude trim features winch-capable steel front bumper, steel rock rails and front off-road camera
  • Willys trim now comes standard with proximity keyless entry, 7-inch instrument cluster and remote start and garage door opener
  • Gladiator decals featuring an American flag on each front fender
  • New exterior color: High Velocity (replaces Snazzberry)
Highlights
  • Jeep Gladiator’s standard 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine with ESS delivers 285 horsepower and 260 lb.-ft. of torque and is engineered to provide a broad torque band. A six-speed manual transmission is standard on Sport, Mojave and Rubicon, and a TorqueFlite eight-speed automatic transmission is standard on Overland and optional on Sport, Mojave and Rubicon
  • Gladiator models equipped with the 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine feature up to 1,710 pounds of payload and up to 7,700 pounds of towing capacity with the available Max Towing Package
  • Gladiator offers an available 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 engine, rated at 260 horsepower and 442 lb.-ft. of torque, with ESS
  • To handle greater torque loads, the EcoDiesel V-6 connects to a TorqueFlite 8HP75 eight-speed automatic transmission, calibrated for low-RPM shifts
  • The Sunrider Flip Top for Hardtop, available on all Gladiator models, offers a front-row soft top that quickly and easily flips back for an enhanced open-air driving experience
  • Available Dual-Door Group, with base or premium uppers, includes both full and half doors. Full-steel production doors are installed on the Gladiator while matching body-color half doors are conveniently packaged within the vehicle. Engineered, tested and backed by the factory, the new half-door option enhances the Jeep Gladiator driving experience with production styling, security and occupant protection. With lower window ledges, new half doors provide improved visibility while maneuvering on and off road
  • Jeep Gladiator Mojave represents the ultimate in high-speed off-road capability and performance in sand environments and is the first to earn the brand’s Desert Rated badge. Mojave is equipped with high-performance FOX 2.5-inch internal bypass shocks with reservoirs and industry-first FOX front hydraulic jounce bumpers to maximize handling in addition to a rear locking differential and 33-inch tires
  • Approach angle of 44.7 degrees, breakover angle of 20.9 degrees, departure angle of 26 degrees and ground clearance of 11.6 inches. Up to 31.5 inches of water fording capability
  • Gladiator models feature lightweight, high-strength aluminum doors, hinges, hood, fenders, windshield frame and tailgate to help reduce weight and boost fuel economy
  • The capable driveline of the Sport and Overland models include the Command-Trac NV241 part-time, two-speed transfer case, which features a 2.72:1 low-range gear ratio. In addition, an optional Trac-Lok limited-slip rear differential provides extra torque and grip in low-traction environments, such as sand, mud or snow
  • The Gladiator Rubicon model features the Rock-Trac NV241OR two-speed transfer case with a 4.0:1 low-range gear ratio. Gladiator Rubicon also includes electric front and rear locking differentials, a disconnecting front sway bar, off-road winch-capable bumpers with removable end caps and 33-inch tires, taking the Gladiator to the highest level of capability
  • Gladiator offers a full-time two-speed transfer case across the lineup that is intuitive and allows the driver to set it and forget it, while constantly sending power to the front and rear wheels. The Selec-Trac transfer case with full-time four-wheel drive and a 2.72:1 low-range gear ratio is available on Sport, Overland and Mojave, while the Rock-Trac Full-Time transfer case with a 4:1 low-range gear ratio is available on Rubicon
  • Jeep Gladiator features include iconic round headlamps, seven-slot keystone grille, trapezoid wheel flares, removable doors, exposed hinges with the Torx tool-bit size stamped into it, a fold-down windshield and innovative removable tops
  • Fourth-generation Uconnect system includes Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and the choice of a standard 7.0-inch (Sport) or 8.4-inch (Overland, Mojave, Rubicon) touchscreen with pinch-and-zoom capability
  • Standard electronic stability control (ESC), Electronic Roll Mitigation, trailer-sway control, Hill-start Assist and brake traction control are among more than 80 available safety and security features
Model Lineup
For 2023, the Gladiator lineup consists of four models:
  • Sport
  • Overland
  • Mojave
  • Rubicon
Available Exterior Colors:
  • Black
  • Bright White
  • Firecracker Red
  • Granite Crystal
  • High Velocity (NEW)
  • Hydro Blue
  • Sarge Green
  • Silver Zynith
  • Sting Gray
Available Interior Colors:
  • Black
  • Heritage Tan
  • Steel Gray
No more snazberry you bastards

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Oh look, another useless cosmetic package combining existing options that doesn't add anything to the capability of the truck.

Yet another year of gatekeeping the real off-road stuff. Color me shocked.

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Occupation
Bum
No Adaptive Cruise Control either, at least on the rubicon

DesertRated

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
I agree. I can't believe they would give away a $1600+ hard top. But, someone could go in right now and the dealer would have to accept. We'll see when (and if) they send out the price list.
I can confirm that the 3 piece black freedom top is $1695 for the Rubicon and Mojave trim. The Jeep site showing $0 is not correct.

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
Expanding Keyless entry? WTH, they should trash it, recall all the ones we have and give us a push button FOB for additional security!...And how about adding a hood lock option???

Freedom special addition, I like the idea, but a weak showing, tiny American flag doesn't stand out as a differentiator for this theme...The other stuff is optional already and has nothing to do with the Freedom theme...A poor showing.

And get rid of that stop start feature or at least give us a way to keep that thing SHUT OFF Forever!!!

New color is always good though.
Sponsored