Sponsored

Wheel bearing squeaking?

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Recently in the mornings when the truck is cold I will get a squeaking from what sounds like a wheel bearing. It is on rotation of the tire, doesn't seem to be on steering. Seems to be from the front. Doesn't really sound like brake squeaks but I suppose it could be. Any way to check the bearings easily?
Sponsored

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Jack the truck up, push the wheel left to right, and top to bottom. Check for play. If there's play left to right it could be steering components, or the bearing, if there's play top to bottom thats a pretty good sign of a bad bearing. If there's no play I would put the truck on jack stands (a lift is always preferable, but most don't have access) and put it in 4 wheel drive and listen at each wheel as someone else gives it some gas. A whirring noise from the bearing would be what your listening for. I sure hope that helps.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Also watch for a rear wheel wobbling slightly as you roll down the road. Rear axle flanges can bend, causing brakes to squeak with tire rotation. I had this happen to mine. It was a good excuse to upgrade to Chromoly axle shafts.

Sponsored

OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Oh and visual on the ball joints seems fine, no obvious tears or rust or dislodged.

chuckelb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Any chance you ever figured out what it was? My 2020 gladiator is doing the same

coastiej171

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Check intermediate shaft bearing. Either take to dealer have them check it out or take off cover to the FAD. Original bushing is plastic and ends up failing a lot. Mine was replaced with a bronze or brass bushing…it progressively got worse for me to an almost grinding or tire rubbing noise

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
There's a TSB on the FAD area making noise.........

chuckelb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Thanks. The dealership had it for a week and all they could come up with is "can't replicate the noise".
Sponsored