Sponsored

Oscillating Squeaking Noise When Cold

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Been getting cold here lately, and from a cold start in the morning or leaving work, for a few seconds I'm hearing an oscillating squeak coming from the back. Audible, but not bad. What should I be looking at? Break pads? Calipers too tight? Or should I just not bother? Dealership tried re-creating the problem while having the steering TSB done, drove it on a very cold morning and couldn't hear the noise.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Sounds like you might have a bent axle flange, causing the brakes to squeak (I know from experience). Can you see the tire/wheel in the mirror as you drive down the road?

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like you might have a bent axle flange, causing the brakes to squeak (I know from experience). Can you see the tire/wheel in the mirror as you drive down the road?
If I angle the mirror correctly.

Sponsored

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
Been getting cold here lately, and from a cold start in the morning or leaving work, for a few seconds I'm hearing an oscillating squeak coming from the back. Audible, but not bad. What should I be looking at? Break pads? Calipers too tight? Or should I just not bother? Dealership tried re-creating the problem while having the TSB done, drove it on a very cold morning and couldn't hear the noise.
Ha, you know I noticed the same thing as well now that it's frosty cold in CO now. I shrugged it off as, like you said, it goes away after about 10 wheel revolutions. I'm not even sure if it's coming from the front or back. I heard it one day and thought "is that my truck"? I might investigate it if it seems to last longer than 5 seconds :)

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ha, you know I noticed the same thing as well now that it's frosty cold in CO now. I shrugged it off as, like you said, it goes away after about 10 wheel revolutions. I'm not even sure if it's coming from the front or back. I heard it one day and thought "is that my truck"? I might investigate it if it seems to last longer than 5 seconds :)
Funny you mention not being able to tell which end it is coming from. I think passenger rear, wife sitting in back passenger seat says somewhere from the front

chuckelb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I know it's an old thread.... But any chance you ever discovered what it was? Mine does the same thing.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know it's an old thread.... But any chance you ever discovered what it was? Mine does the same thing.
It mostly went away at about 40k miles. Happens for a much shorter time when cold now.

streetdweller

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Photographer/ Writer
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone ever figure this out. The dealers are useless. The squeak still happened after the vehicle been sitting for a bit but works it way out after a few rotations. Drives me nuts lol. But apparently there is nothing wrong ?

Sponsored

Ringmaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Anyone ever figure this out. The dealers are useless. The squeak still happened after the vehicle been sitting for a bit but works it way out after a few rotations. Drives me nuts lol. But apparently there is nothing wrong ?
Same problem, dealer could never "replicate" the squeak. I had them look at it three times with no success. The squeak slowly started diminishing around the 25,000 mile mark and now very seldom occurs.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same problem, dealer could never "replicate" the squeak. I had them look at it three times with no success. The squeak slowly started diminishing around the 25,000 mile mark and now very seldom occurs.
I hardly ever hear it now at 60k but it still lasts a few seconds from a cold day start.
Sponsored