Threads
Reaction score
Website
utahbruteforce.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2009 Ram 3500 CTD, 2001 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
SVP/CISO
Base camp was in Kanab, Utah. Spent an entire day wheeling Hog Canyon to Peek-A-Boo to the Barracks (from the North). Got stopped cold YET AGAIN by a massive sand hill.. and couldn't even progress after deploying the Pull-Pal land anchor.

Sponsored

MoparToYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Nice video.

It is hard to tell where you are at on that sand hill Jim. Were you past the "S" turn route that bypasses the steep upper face of the hill, and trying to climb the steep face? Or were you still below that "S" turn route? Were you then able to take the "S" route up the hill, or did you have to turn back?

Airing down the tires further in soft sand can really help as well. I can tell by the video your tires aren't aired down enough. They need to fold and ripple like the drag slicks on a top fuel car, LOL.

One time I tried to climb that hill at 25 psi, and couldn't do it. I aired down to 18 psi and still couldn't do it, but I made it 20 ft higher. Then I aired down to 8 psi, and drove right up the "S" route like it wasn't even a challenge. You have on board air, so you could easily drop to 8 psi, or even 7 psi, or 6 psi, just long enough to climb the hill. Then air back up to a "normal" aired down pressure when you get to the top. Just be gentle on the beads, and have a can of starter fluid just in case you do need to reseat one.

We did this same trick once with my son's 2wd Chevy Colorado. We got it stuck in the sand in Warner Valley, and after an hour of trying to get out we finally dropped pressure to 5 psi (we were desperate by then), and drove right out.

OP
OP
BruteForce

BruteForce

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
utahbruteforce.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2009 Ram 3500 CTD, 2001 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
SVP/CISO
Nice video.

It is hard to tell where you are at on that sand hill Jim. Were you past the "S" turn route that bypasses the steep upper face of the hill, and trying to climb the steep face? Or were you still below that "S" turn route? Were you then able to take the "S" route up the hill, or did you have to turn back?

Airing down the tires further in soft sand can really help as well. I can tell by the video your tires aren't aired down enough. They need to fold and ripple like the drag slicks on a top fuel car, LOL.

One time I tried to climb that hill at 25 psi, and couldn't do it. I aired down to 18 psi and still couldn't do it, but I made it 20 ft higher. Then I aired down to 8 psi, and drove right up the "S" route like it wasn't even a challenge. You have on board air, so you could easily drop to 8 psi, or even 7 psi, or 6 psi, just long enough to climb the hill. Then air back up to a "normal" aired down pressure when you get to the top. Just be gentle on the beads, and have a can of starter fluid just in case you do need to reseat one.

We did this same trick once with my son's 2wd Chevy Colorado. We got it stuck in the sand in Warner Valley, and after an hour of trying to get out we finally dropped pressure to 5 psi (we were desperate by then), and drove right out.

I was at 15PSI, because we had just come off Hog Canyon and Peek-A-Boo and no bead-locks. This was about mid-way up (from the North) the Barracks, and just after the creek crossing. Only tracks up and down (that we saw) were two guys on horseback hunting. I think we made it about half-way up before sliding back down to the Y at the bottom. After several failed attempts with the land anchor, I backed down into the gully before crossing the creek again.

Now, I've done this uphill via ATV without issue, but damned it, two failed attempts in the JT!

Jems007

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I haven’t been much in that area—yet. We usually head down to Moab, escalante, or the swell. Where exactly is this?
Sponsored