First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
Pastor
I am looking into getting a Gladiator to use as my daily driver, but also to do some basic overland camping with it. Which trim would be best for this type of application. I do not plan on doing any extreme off-roading, but I do want to be able to go off the beaten path ... Do I need to splurge on a Rubicon or a Mojave, or am I better off going with a Sport S and maybe having someone do a suspension upgrade (like the Mopar lift/suspension upgrade)?
Sponsored

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
What features do you “need” (want)? Based on what you said (no plans for extreme off roading), I’d say pass on lockers (Mojave and Rubicon) and go with one with an LSD rear end.

If you just want a Mojave or Rubicon for the lol’s though (that’s basically what I got the Rubicon for), go for it. I get a kick out of mine. I’m sure I’ll end up using the happy switch one of these days, lol.

At the end of the day, they’re all overpriced and oversized four wheelers, so get the one you want and be happy with it.

OP
OP

PadreANT

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
Pastor
So would the Sport S have the LSD rear?

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Stuff
So would the Sport S have the LSD rear?
It’s optional in that trim, per the Jeep website. Most of them that I saw on lots had the LSD though.

I will say that I drove a Sport S and a Rubicon prior to purchasing. They ride like completely different vehicles. The Sport S has a fairly cushy ride. The Rubicon rides like a lifted Jeep (is how I put it).

I recommend driving at least a couple different trims before buying.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
As a rubicon owner, from what you said, I wouldn’t spend the money. I use the features, but for basic off roading, I wouldn’t need them. The Willy’s is a very nice compromise, with fewer off road features, but great looks and it’s a nice platform to build on. Another forum member and I did some tough terrain in Moab with mine and his mostly stock Willy’s, and he killed it.

Sponsored

same_O_G

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave; 2008 JKU (RIP)
Seconded on the driving multiple trims. I was dead set that I wanted a Rubicon until I test drove a Mojave.

I had a JKU X (base model in 2008) and did all the aftermarket everything on it. After going down that rabbit hole, I told myself that my next Jeep would be a higher model that I would just leave stock (maaaaaaybe some 35s down the road...). Anyway, my wife and I test drove a Rubicon and didn't much care for how it handled on the highway. Then we test drove a Mojave.... We have a Mojave :)

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Seconded on the driving multiple trims. I was dead set that I wanted a Rubicon until I test drove a Mojave.

I had a JKU X (base model in 2008) and did all the aftermarket everything on it. After going down that rabbit hole, I told myself that my next Jeep would be a higher model that I would just leave stock (maaaaaaybe some 35s down the road...). Anyway, my wife and I test drove a Rubicon and didn't much care for how it handled on the highway. Then we test drove a Mojave.... We have a Mojave :)
No argument there. My stock rubicon suspension was too squishy. If you get one for the lockers and transfer case, great, but don’t buy one for the springs and shocks. It’s amazing now with fox 2.0’s, which are pretty basic.
The Mohave is amazing just how it comes, but the OP doesn’t sound like they need the fancy Mohave suspension. Not that they wouldn’t like it. We all would.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Stuff
"If" you plan on bigger tires down the road just make sure you go for the 4.11's
Yup. I learned that lesson the hard way years ago on my previous Jeep.

Even if you aren’t really planning on bigger tires, it would be nice to have that option (go to 35’s) and maintain decent drive-ability.

Sponsored

Pigman67

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Asset/fleet MGR
Yup. I learned that lesson the hard way years ago on my previous Jeep.

Even if you aren’t really planning on bigger tires, it would be nice to have that option (go to 35’s) and maintain decent drive-ability.
And that's exactly what I did. (35's)

MrB

First Name
MrB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JTM, '19 Audi Q5, '22 SQ5 (ordered)
Occupation
Make the internet go vroom
I ordered a Mojave and just drove it home to Colorado from Tennessee and it road great. Honestly way better than a Jeep has any right to ride imo lol I love it and have no regrets. It’s a great balance between comfort and off-road capabilities for me.

Use case: it’s a “daily driver” but my wife and I work from home and she has her own car so I only put about 2k miles a year on my last car, but plan on getting out more with my Jeep and doing some camping/overlanding so will ideally do between 5k-10k/ year.

Based on the mileage and use case, did I need it? No, but I wanted it and I love it so far, so I’m happy with my choice. Based on your needs a base Sport would do fine, it just depends on what creature comforts you want and what you like. a Willys would be a good balance like someone else said, but every time I added the extra options I wanted to a Sport S or Willys it ended up so expensive I couldn’t justify it compared to the Rubicon/Mojave Which came with the factory lockers, lift, suspension, etc.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
I agree with the rest, go drive a few different trims and base your decision on how you like them + what your budget/price point is.

Sounds like a Sport or Willy’s would be great for you.
Sponsored