Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
only a premium soft top here. I saw no reason to have a hard top with my JT not being a daily driver. I never have to worry about storing a top, whether on the go or at home. JT is always garage parked, or in the woods, never at the mall or in town for the most part. 2 latches and I enjoy a convertible. If it looks like rain, I stop, put the top back on, 2 latches, and I'm on my way. No hurrying home to beat the rain or driving around with the 3 piece top sliding around in the bed. Some like the Best top, and they do look nice, but I just can't embrace half a convertible. I'm either all in or all out. My favorite configuration is top on with off road doors on. I like the shade, but dropping the top in the evening is also a favorite. And there is added interior & head room with a soft top. My radio antennas are on the roll bar/tower under the soft top. I wouldn't change a thing about it. I have a car with a hardtop, thats the way it should be in my opinion.
Sponsored

Tiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator SportS, manual, soft top, black
I have only the premium. soft top and so far through 1.5 Indiana winters it's great. In nice weather I enjoy walking out of work, throwing it back in 10 seconds, and enjoying an open air drive home. I take rear window off frequently if forecast looks good for a few days of I'm going for a longer drive. I do spray it once a year with protector just to increase longevity. Still looks new.

Armyman247

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Ok so since we are talking about soft tops I got a side question for everyone. First off I love the soft top but I hate that it fills with air when driving down highway. My solution has been to wrap Velcro around it to keep it tight. Anyone else notice this or have other ideas?

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
Another soft top only manual rubicon. I specifically wanted the soft top after living with a hard top TJ and taking it off twice. Summers here have a chance of thunderstorms every day and I'm not getting my brand new truck caught in a torrent. Looks? Don't care, I can't see it when I'm driving. I know it looks silly but I get to have a manual convertible pickup and I'll be damned if the soft top looking slightly odd to some people will deter me from enjoying and using it. It's faster and easier than removing freedom panels, opens up the whole cab, and it goes anywhere the truck does. I see no down sides.

Ok so since we are talking about soft tops I got a side question for everyone. First off I love the soft top but I hate that it fills with air when driving down highway. My solution has been to wrap Velcro around it to keep it tight. Anyone else notice this or have other ideas?
Never had that issue

Sponsored

ShirtlessCubsFan

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW GLI, 2020 Mercedes GLB, 2022 Mojave
Occupation
Systems Engineer
I'll be placing an order for one shortly with the soft top only. Having a soft top only on my JKU (not even the premium material), I had zero issues with it. It fit tightly, didn't leak, held up great through Oklahoma's hot, sunny summers, its springtime hail storms, and its winter ice storms. I never felt it was hotter or colder inside the cabin than my wife's SUV. Slightly elevated road noise, but not deafening by any means.

I loved that I could get off work, step out of the office into a beautiful day and within a few minutes I was driving my convertible home. I get that "it's a Jeep" and some people don't care about rain and dirt inside their cabins, but this will be my daily driver (much like my JKU was), and I have 3 kids, so I don't want my interior to be wet and/or filthy. So a soft top is the perfect solution for me so that I can pull over and cinch it up before I get rained on, or before I decide to take a muddier detour home. I don't at all care about the outside of my Jeeps being filthy, but I want my interior to remain pristine. With a hard top, I'm either staying close to home or not leaving at all unless it's a guaranteed nice day, and I don't like that restriction on my freedom.

Edit - Oh, and I don't care about the manbun look. I've been balding since high school so any sort of image that gives the perception of head hair is welcome to me, even if it's on my Jeep rather than my own head. I also will haul camping equipment, mountain bikes, etc so I'd rather not have that stuff potentially coming loose and damaging my soft top that sits at the bed level like a traditional Jeep.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Yep. I have also noticed a MPG drop of over 1 when the top is back vs completly removed. I just leave it flopping but have thought about trying to tidy it up some.

ShirtlessCubsFan

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW GLI, 2020 Mercedes GLB, 2022 Mojave
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Yep. I have also noticed a MPG drop of over 1 when the top is back vs completly removed. I just leave it flopping but have thought about trying to tidy it up some.
Does the JT soft top not come with Velcro straps to keep things tightly closed? My JKU did.

ArmyVet

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Director of Talent Acquisition - US Navy
Just the soft top in New England... get me near 45-50 degrees for off-highway driving and the top goes back. Damn I need a haircut!

Jeep Gladiator Who Has Just The Soft Top???? top back

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
Wanted one, but couldn't get it with the truck I wanted, since I was shopping dealer availability. Instead of getting the dealer to order one as an add on to my purchase price, I said psh, Bestop or someone will do a frameless/trek top soon, no biggy. Silly me.

Sponsored

meeko35

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
Occupation
Bass fishing/Golf
After giving up on my 2021 Bronco reservation, I decided to get a Gladiator instead.

Had a hard time finding any with just the soft top. Or even dual tops. New or used.

Checked into aftermarket tops new or used and was shocked at the prices. Over $1000. So that was not really an option.

Did finally find one in MI and my dealer did a dealer trade. That dealer in MI had 2 and my dealer had one base sport manual with a soft top. That was closest i found without going to texas.

So my question is, why are softtops so rare on the JT, but significantly more popular on the JL and JK?

The tops have greatly improved since the CJ and YJ days. And the JT doesnt have the side windows to deal with. So much more convenient to use then on the JL.
Love it ! the rear 2 quarter panels pop off in seconds and can stored under the back seat and the rear window can lay flat on the back seat.

meeko35

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
Occupation
Bass fishing/Golf
Love it ! the rear 2 quarter panels pop off in seconds and can stored under the back seat and the rear window can lay flat on the back seat.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
something is not right. There is no way for it to fill with air if it is on properly. Never had the issue, and going on 2 years with mine.

Armyman247

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
something is not right. There is no way for it to fill with air if it is on properly. Never had the issue, and going on 2 years with mine.
Ok maybe I’m exaggerating a little. It doesn’t like fill with air like a sail, but I notice it does catch some air enough for me to notice it out of my peripherals. I would have been nice if those “bungee” type straps for the rear window could keep the top right but like I said I just got some Velcro (the stuff you use for wire management) and that holds it great.
Once it warms up most of the time I leave the rear window out, unless it’s supposed to rain hard or something. I find that the only rear downside is snapping the bottom plastic back in (but that’s only cause my damn arms are too short)

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Soft top only here. Had a JKUR with both tops. Bought in May 2010. Hard top removed early June 2010 (live in Michigan) and never put the hard top back on in the fall. It really wasn't that bad with remote start.
My new JT has the premium soft top (JK was std vinyl) and the JT is so much more quiet then the std vinyl top. Very impressed by the twill material. Reminds me of Sunbrella fabric like we have on our boats
As for the man bun, it takes an extra 3 minutes to remove the entire frame and soft top and put it in the bed.
Sponsored