Who Has Just The Soft Top????

danieljustyn

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
When I purchased my Gladiator in May, I specifically looked for one with a hard top. I did this knowing I could easily pick a soft top up afterwards for cheaper. (Thanks to this forum I was able to purchase a brand new one!)

I put my hard top back on my Gladiator when the temperatures started dropping below freezing. I honestly notice a huge difference in how quickly the Gladiator warms up and the noise level inside.

With that said, I really do miss my soft top and cannot wait to put it back on. I prefer the look and how quick it is to put it back without hassling with the hard top.
Sponsored

ilmostro

First Name
Angus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JT Willys '23 JL 392
I ordered my JTR with only the premium soft top. I prefer the look of the soft top when it is up over the hard top.

I had a JKUR for 2.5 years with a hard top and never took it off once because I had no where to store it and no one to help me take it off.

I wanted to go topless whenever possible with the JT and the soft top is the easiest way to do it. I don't really care what it looks like open because I can't see it from the driver's seat. If I did, 4 bolts remove the whole thing and you can toss it in the bed.

I test drove both before buying and didn't feel the premium top was much louder/hotter/colder than the hard top.

21GCMSPORT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold 2000 4.0L 5sp // 2014 Unlimited
Occupation
Self employed
I like the soft top. Not noisy.. no flapping. No back window leaks like some HT's. Super easy to remove completely in summer.
Want hard top and it looks nice. I have seen Gladiator with top down and it did look funny compared to unlimited or my older TJ.

X2 for all the above for a soft.

Other car a sedan so I'm good either way.

Jeep Top Down is always more fun than messing with panels especially if not DD.

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
When I bought mine I wanted a hard top for the looks, quieter ride, and hoping it would hold out heat and cold better. Compared to the JK soft top I had I think it does all three better. I can’t compare any of those to a JT soft top though. Now, I wish I had a soft top for ease of operation and not having to store the hard top when it’s off. I’ll be shelling out cash for a soft top probably when the bank allows for it haha

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
When I was looking I was all over the map ( literally) looking at dealers from Maine to the Carolinas. There were dealerships down south that had a bunch of soft top only trucks. I took my hardtop off once and loved it. I took my panels off a few times and loved it. I decided even the little bit of effort it took to take those off was preventing me from enjoying the open air more often so I bought a new premium soft top on CL for short $$ and intend to put it on in the Spring man bun be damned

Sponsored

CJ5w4wdSmokyOnMyTail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave JT; 2016 Cherokee
After giving up on my 2021 Bronco reservation, I decided to get a Gladiator instead.

Had a hard time finding any with just the soft top. Or even dual tops. New or used.

Checked into aftermarket tops new or used and was shocked at the prices. Over $1000. So that was not really an option.

Did finally find one in MI and my dealer did a dealer trade. That dealer in MI had 2 and my dealer had one base sport manual with a soft top. That was closest i found without going to texas.

So my question is, why are softtops so rare on the JT, but significantly more popular on the JL and JK?

The tops have greatly improved since the CJ and YJ days. And the JT doesnt have the side windows to deal with. So much more convenient to use then on the JL.
Just ordered my Mojave last week - with the non-premium soft top only. I went with the cheaper option because I'm gambling the aftermarket or Bestop of Jeep will be coming out with a tan color option soon (I hope) or solve the man bun issue so I can replace the soft top with one I want more.

FrankFrqnkFrank

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
For summer use only, will the base soft top be sufficient? No need for the premium soft at its higher price??

Jut60

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Snazzberry Mojave
Just the soft top here. Happy I was able to find my JT on a lot with it earlier this month. After helping friends in the past switch from hard to soft and back again for the seasons, figured I just wanted the one. Also the kiddos in the back seat will love it when it warms up and the top goes to man bun mode.

Ohio JKU

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Occupation
PM Construction
I couldn’t find a soft top when I bought my jt. My jku was bought as a dual top. I have liked having both, and want to get a soft top for the jt as well (kept the jku) . I made a hard top cart and store tucked under a shelf... it’s not been bad changing them out.

Honestly I’d be more likely to go soft top only on the jt... IF I could have found one.
I really hope bestop brings out a bestop branded top OR maybe someone else will bring out a aftermarket to for just under “your first born” price of the mopar/bestop soft tops

with the jt’s smaller cab, I might get cute with a waterproof canvas tarp and ball bungees, take the hard top off and go for it

Sponsored

Bull Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sea-cups.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave Sting Grey. 2018 Audi S5
I'm going to post this here rather than start a new thread about something I've been pondering. I have a Gladiator on order. It has the hard top which is the right choice for me most of the time. Never even considered the dual top until a sobering moment recently. I was envisioning weekend trips topless and I realized thats not really doable without a place to store the hard top at whatever place you are weekending. So I have been thinking about getting a soft top. Here's my question: How quick can you swap between hard and soft and vice versa. I see the videos on installing a soft top and its some effort. Maybe an hour or so? Is it the same procedure every time or do some components stay and thus make it quicker thereafter? Thanks

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
I'm going to post this here rather than start a new thread about something I've been pondering. I have a Gladiator on order. It has the hard top which is the right choice for me most of the time. Never even considered the dual top until a sobering moment recently. I was envisioning weekend trips topless and I realized thats not really doable without a place to store the hard top at whatever place you are weekending. So I have been thinking about getting a soft top. Here's my question: How quick can you swap between hard and soft and vice versa. I see the videos on installing a soft top and its some effort. Maybe an hour or so? Is it the same procedure every time or do some components stay and thus make it quicker thereafter? Thanks
you have to take the plastic rails off after the softop comes off b4 you can install the hard top then out them back on again b4 re installing soft top

Ohio JKU

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Occupation
PM Construction
On the jku it’s a 20 - 30 min thing, after a few times.... and a helper because it’s big.
My opinion is hard tops are enough work you won’t actually take it off regularly / comparing to when you may have put down the soft top.

impromptu trips to the store, ride home from work on a surprisingly nice evening... things like that. Freedom panels are better than no option, but not the same imo

Jeep-of-Eli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Mojave
Occupation
IT
I have the ST only as well and i proudly flaunt that JT manbun most of the time 🤙. My old TJ has HT and it was PITA removing it. Being in Southern CA and my JTM gets garaged everyday, I have no use for a HT.

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Ordered my Gladiator with the soft top only (and a manual transmission). I have a 2007 JK and own three tops for it. However, since I've built it for overlanding, removing the top is more difficult--takes four folks and a good hour to remove other gear so I can install the soft top. In the thirteen years I've owned the JK, I've never once just put the top down. I always remove it. Entirely. I wanted a rig that I could easily remove the top (I still have the JK). And it's the same with the JT: I remove the top entirely. It isn't that difficult, even by myself. And the JT premium soft top is way better than the one I have for the JK.

Jeep Gladiator Who Has Just The Soft Top???? Dirty Jeep Pic's, Jan 12, 9057

Jeep Gladiator Who Has Just The Soft Top???? JK-Forum at Disney, Sep 10, 4435, Mark (by Ryen)

Jeep Gladiator Who Has Just The Soft Top???? Jeep at Stanley Draper Lake, Mar 07, 8958

Jeep Gladiator Who Has Just The Soft Top???? El Camino del Diablo Feb 20, 5_4762, Mark's Jeep at Cabeza Prieta

Jeep Gladiator Who Has Just The Soft Top???? Jeep Life, Dec 20, CP_549302, Naked Gladiator at Stanley Draper Lake

Jeep Gladiator Who Has Just The Soft Top???? Driveway Poseur Shots, Nov 20, CP_954538, Jeeps and Clouds
Sponsored