Sponsored

Why a Gladiator (JT) and not a Wrangler (JL)?

ErocksGlad

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tahoe
I disagree. From what I have seen of the JLU (and correct me if I am mistaken, I have not driven one or been inside of one, the cargo space of the JLU is pretty good given you can stack items. I saw a video of all the stuff LiteBrite got into the back of theirs, it was impressive. With the truck bed, given it is fairly low siding, you can't really stack items. Heck, a set of 32" tires felt like they were about to topple out of my bed with every curve in the road.

My previous vehicle was a Honda Element. With the seats folded up you could fit ALOT of stuff in it. What it (and other comparable SUVs) didn't have is the payload of a JT (only 675lbs!) which is why I got the JT over anything else. Nothing had the payload, off-road capability, and looks, but mostly payload.

How do the actual numbers play out? The JLU has a listed 72.4 cubic feet of cargo area. The JT only has 25.8.

jeep-wrangler-jl-cargo-trunk-dimensions-measurements0-780x405.jpg

Now, I'm sure you can increase the JT's cargo space with a TrailRail system and add cross rails like this

2020-Jeep-Gladiator-Utility-Trail-Rail-System.jpg.image.1440.jpg

But what the JLU will NEVER be able to compete with is towing capacity. It can actually compete with payload, as the JLU sport has a 1300lb payload rating and the others are in the 1200lb range. When loading up though, that 200-300lbs difference between JLU and JT can make or break your trip. Towing is where the JT shines, and is why I went with it. 7000/7650, or even 6000 for the overland, is double or more the parsley 3500 towing of the JLU.
Just wanted to point out that 72.4 cubic feet of cargo area for the JL is with the seats down So not exactly a fair comparison
Sponsored

ErocksGlad

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tahoe
THIS! is why I always thought it would be genius if Jeep had a middle tailgate that integrated into the bed like the old Chevy Avalanches. Obviously more engineering and cost involved, so I understand why they didn't but thought it would be awesome

ErocksGlad

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tahoe
I have one of these (https://www.softopper.com/softopper) coming next week. I can stack up to about the height of the top of the cab in a weatherproof compartment.
You will absolutely love the softtopper. Had one on my Tacoma and abused it pretty good and it always held up and it's so easy to fold down if you need to put bigger stuff back there. By far my favorite modification on my Tacoma

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Just wanted to point out that 72.4 cubic feet of cargo area for the JL is with the seats down So not exactly a fair comparison
Thank you for pointing that out. The image would indicate that area is with the seats up.

OP
OP
LANGeek

LANGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Galdiator Rubicon
I think everyone, including myself, should talk to you first. That's excellent. With my condition, "decisions" or choices are extremely difficult. Normally with out knowing or thinking about it the mind breaks things down into pairs - choose between A and C, then choose between the winner of that and D, then choose between the winner of that and choice M and so on.
I have to literally pencil it out and then distractions come into play and even that doesn't work well.
Your logic means I can't use the typical engineer jokes now - darn. ........ Just kidding.
Bring on the jokes. I can recycle them with my co-workers :)

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Bring on the jokes. I can recycle them with my co-workers :)
Problem is if your forum name means what I suspect, you could toss some of them back at me......... network security administrator, WAN connectivity, LAN, VMs, routers, switches, people who don't understand what turn it off means....

Anyway, was wondering with all of the people here who know the specs of the Wranglers and others inside and out, when my wife goes to trade her GC one of these days - how does the cargo area of a Wranger compare to her 2018 Grand Cherokee? She hauls a lot of sewing and quilting stuff. At first she wondered about a JT - but then she had so much trouble getting in and out and realized the storage space was not inside......... a couple of years ago she looked at a purple Wrangler - but I told her I had no clue about cargo space - and her stuff does NOT stack so we can't use "cubic feet" or "cubic inches" - better would be square inches. (I think the price difference scared her, too - the Wrangler was a good solid 10 grand more than her loaded GC)

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Problem is if your forum name means what I suspect, you could toss some of them back at me......... network security administrator, WAN connectivity, LAN, VMs, routers, switches, people who don't understand what turn it off means....

Anyway, was wondering with all of the people here who know the specs of the Wranglers and others inside and out, when my wife goes to trade her GC one of these days - how does the cargo area of a Wranger compare to her 2018 Grand Cherokee? She hauls a lot of sewing and quilting stuff. At first she wondered about a JT - but then she had so much trouble getting in and out and realized the storage space was not inside......... a couple of years ago she looked at a purple Wrangler - but I told her I had no clue about cargo space - and her stuff does NOT stack so we can't use "cubic feet" or "cubic inches" - better would be square inches. (I think the price difference scared her, too - the Wrangler was a good solid 10 grand more than her loaded GC)
maxresdefault.jpg

Mopar-82215656AB-Cargo-Tray-Jeep-Wrangler-Unlimited-JL-Cloth-Seats-Installed-Split-Rear-Seat.jpg

jeep-wrangler-jl-cargo-trunk-dimensions-measurements2-jpg.jpg

jeep-wrangler-jl-cargo-trunk-dimensions-measurements1-jpg.jpg

jeep-and-bike-jpg.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So a real live Wranger, not factory specs or guesses, but with the seat folded forward and tailgate closed is 74" front to tailgate and with seats upright, 34.5
What's the width? She takes here office chair and sewing machines and boxes or tubs of projects and fabrics and her expensive rulers, etc.
At least she could make an informed decision and not wonder........ would this have worked??

Thanks - good info. I can bundle up and measure her GC LOL

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
What's the width? She takes here office chair and sewing machines and boxes or tubs of projects and fabrics and her expensive rulers, etc.
At least she could make an informed decision and not wonder........ would this have worked??
You can see the widths in the photo @PyrPatriot posted earlier in the thread.

jeep-wrangler-jl-cargo-trunk-dimensions-measurements0-780x405-jpg.jpg

Bowerss2

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator, 1980 Chevrolet Corvette, 1930 Ford Roadster Pickup, 1930 Ford Station Wagon, 1930 Ford Phaeton, and an awesome 2004 Ford E-250 (the dangerwagon)
I went with the JT because as a landlord I am constantly hauling crap around I would rather not have in the back of a SUV. Drain snakes, plumbing stuff, mulch, walk behind mower, plaster, other dirty construction stuff, even PLYWOOD!!!!!:CWL:

But honestly I had a JKU, and really tore up the back of it, I was 90% of the time driving around with the rear seat folded and a blue tarp in the back to catch the junk.

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So a real live Wranger, not factory specs or guesses, but with the seat folded forward and tailgate closed is 74" front to tailgate and with seats upright, 34.5

Thanks - good info. I can bundle up and measure her GC LOL
You could also go to a dealer and have them bring up a GC and JLU side by side

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You can see the widths in the photo @PyrPatriot posted earlier in the thread.

jeep-wrangler-jl-cargo-trunk-dimensions-measurements0-780x405-jpg.jpg
Thanks -forgot about that all-inclusive pic. The Grand Cherokee is about 49" with seats up as far as front to back, and 44" side to side.
So she'd lose some - but not a horrible amount, really. Worth looking at. And yeah, could do that - find a dealer willing to work for a sale. Hmmm, that may involve driving a ways. LOL

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks -forgot about that all-inclusive pic. The Grand Cherokee is about 49" with seats up as far as front to back, and 44" side to side.
So she'd lose some - but not a horrible amount, really. Worth looking at. And yeah, could do that - find a dealer willing to work for a sale. Hmmm, that may involve driving a ways. LOL
Im sorry, I forget that not everyone loves driving their Gladiator so much that they look for excuses to take it out on trips. ;)

AC_1960

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I don't know what you've got to do to get a JLU Sport to 1,300 lbs. of payload. Mine only was listed at 850 lbs., and it had VERY few options. An equally equipped JT would have 88% more payload. My personal JT has literally 78% more payload and 119% more towing than the JLU Sport I traded in. The JL isn't even in the same league.

Also, I'd like to see somebody do this with a Wrangler. :)

Screenshot_20191205-094625_Gallery[1].jpg

Screenshot_20191205-094647_Gallery[1].jpg
Being able to transport odd shaped, bulky items in a truck is waaay better than in the back of an SUV. Can not-so-fondly recall the inside of my JKUR smelling like mulch, firewood, treated lumber, gasoline (5 gal jug for the lawn mower/snow blower) and other sorts of stuff. Not anymore!

By the way, what mud flaps are on your rig? They blend in nicely with the fender flares.

That's only because I only loosely tie my robe when I take out the trash.

QX434Kn.jpg
I go with a more stylish attire!
b9f7d8c30ee2fdeb1dd0ac41444f850f.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the JT because as a landlord I am constantly hauling crap around I would rather not have in the back of a SUV. Drain snakes, plumbing stuff, mulch, walk behind mower, plaster, other dirty construction stuff, even PLYWOOD!!!!!:CWL:

But honestly I had a JKU, and really tore up the back of it, I was 90% of the time driving around with the rear seat folded and a blue tarp in the back to catch the junk.
One of the first things I did when I got home was go up to my wood shop, find some nice 2x4s and trimmed them for a good fit in the bed so I could have them just in case I decided to haul - gasp, plywood!
I even curved the ends to fit instead of just a square cut end on them. I may route the edges a bit more, sand them and poly them. Can't stand that raw wood just laying back there getting dirty from being unfinished. Might even take a fancy bit to them and make the edges decorative. Maybe like a raised panel door look on them.
Sponsored